Reccomending The Raptor Survival 6in1 Shears

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Paracord1945

Reccomending The Raptor Survival 6in1 Shears

Post by Paracord1945 »

I personally would highly recommend that you add this item to your bugout bag or even your EDC gear.

Awesome piece of kit for such a small item. It arrived in the post today and I was surprised to find how compact it was when it arrived in a relatively small cardboard box.

The item is of a very high quality standard, strong, versatile and sturdy.

Here is the link if anyone is interested https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294895426832.
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Reccomending The Raptor Survival 6in1 Shears

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

For what situation?

I've a mate who rides on ambulances for a living and he was saying the genuine leather man raptors are funky looking but just not practical for daily use ... Obviously the newly qualified staff rush out and buy the Gucci kit :lol:

Seatbelt cutter ok but a standard pair off tuff cuts can do it,.

Scissors ...tuff cuts

Ring cutter might just manage a thin gold band but if it's that tight you won't hook it under and proper ring cutters don't distort the metal so a jeweler can mend the ring

O2 spanner most uk spec bottles have hand valves

They are a pita to sterilise after use

And once gloved up they can be tricky to open without nipping your gloves ..

The glass breaker ends up with your hand following it through the glass..

And if you loose the tuff cuts or lend them out you've only lost £3 :lol:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141263659557 ... R9qV2sviYA

I looked at a set in the past and he talked me out of it :lol:

Obviously the world would be a boring place if we all carried the same kit.

I like the little SD sak

Little knife
Scissors
File / flat screwdriver
Tweezers
Toothpick

Covers most bases for me from cutting a broken finger nail to pulling out a splinter
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

My favourite EDC for years has been the Leatherman Micra. Small enough to live on my keyring and discreet enough to be overlooked but has everything I need in an EDC. Rest of the family are converted to these now as well.
No It won't carve a spoon or act as a weapon but that is not what it is there for.
Paracord1945

Post by Paracord1945 »

That's cool. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable carrying something like that at the moment as I do live on a small island. However if I am going camping or doing some bushcraft I will use some sort of blade or mulitool. Pretty cool that you have got your family using them. Thanks for your reply.
Tiercel

Post by Tiercel »

I use the genuine Leatherman Raptors at work, paramedic, for when you absolutely need to cut through something first time and fast. Most of the cheap naff, disposable tuffcuts work give us are luck of the draw whether theyre any good or not, often theyll struggle to cut through a thick pair of jeans or motorbike kit, but the raptors go through them like a hot knife through hot butter. I've never needed any of the other bonus attachments that claim to be useful but I guess theyre nice to have. I find the tuffcut type, because the metal is so thin, has a habit of flexing when you try to cut anything thicker than a T-shirt and pushing the blades apart sideways so they dont cut. I dont know how £12 chinese knockoff would compare but Id be tempted to give them a go for comparison. For the cost Id almost be annoyed if theyre any good :lol:

these are my backup pair that Im less worried about leaving behind somewhere or getting them so nasty I just bin them instead of attempting to clean them :lol: pleasantly surprised at how well they cut, and the clip handle is nice too. Id probably recommend them over the genuine raptors purely for cost theyre *almost* as good at cutting.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Tiercel wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:10 pm I use the genuine Leatherman Raptors at work, paramedic, for when you absolutely need to cut through something first time and fast. Most of the cheap naff, disposable tuffcuts work give us are luck of the draw whether theyre any good or not, often theyll struggle to cut through a thick pair of jeans or motorbike kit, but the raptors go through them like a hot knife through hot butter. I've never needed any of the other bonus attachments that claim to be useful but I guess theyre nice to have. I find the tuffcut type, because the metal is so thin, has a habit of flexing when you try to cut anything thicker than a T-shirt and pushing the blades apart sideways so they dont cut. I dont know how £12 chinese knockoff would compare but Id be tempted to give them a go for comparison. For the cost Id almost be annoyed if theyre any good :lol:

these are my backup pair that Im less worried about leaving behind somewhere or getting them so nasty I just bin them instead of attempting to clean them :lol: pleasantly surprised at how well they cut, and the clip handle is nice too. Id probably recommend them over the genuine raptors purely for cost theyre *almost* as good at cutting.
These came through a local first aid supplier I got a few sets as we used to buy tin snips but they used to go missing / get abused / binned with the large woven sheets that wrap our raw materials these have been through the mill been used to cut viscreen covered in cement , cut bituminous felt / prised open paint tins and keep coming back for more :lol: they still slice none woven heavy polythene sheet without having to work the jaws and nylon strapping easily enough
Screenshot_20220907-223858.png
Probably passed the use as first aid shears mind :lol:

Remember to keep your receipt or a picture of it leatheman 25 year warenty are very good I've had 2 multi tools replaced easily enough suppose telling them they are covered in bodily fluids they might not ask for them returning :lol:

Paracord1945

Post by Paracord1945 »

Tiercel wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:10 pm I use the genuine Leatherman Raptors at work, paramedic, for when you absolutely need to cut through something first time and fast. Most of the cheap naff, disposable tuffcuts work give us are luck of the draw whether theyre any good or not, often theyll struggle to cut through a thick pair of jeans or motorbike kit, but the raptors go through them like a hot knife through hot butter. I've never needed any of the other bonus attachments that claim to be useful but I guess theyre nice to have. I find the tuffcut type, because the metal is so thin, has a habit of flexing when you try to cut anything thicker than a T-shirt and pushing the blades apart sideways so they dont cut. I dont know how £12 chinese knockoff would compare but Id be tempted to give them a go for comparison. For the cost Id almost be annoyed if theyre any good :lol:

I haven't had a chance to put them to use but they seem pretty sturdy and strong. If you have a spare £12 then give it a shot I say.
Omega

Post by Omega »

Thinking adding good scissors to my motorbike medical kit because my gear is made from abrasion resistant materials like Dyneema. However, I am not sure about Raptor because I suspect not everyone will understand how to open it or even realise these are shears.
Will this item cut through tough materials like kevlar? My gear is not body armour, but dealing with tough materials might be an issue https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... =UTF8&th=1
Thank you
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Omega wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:55 am Thinking adding good scissors to my motorbike medical kit because my gear is made from abrasion resistant materials like Dyneema. However, I am not sure about Raptor because I suspect not everyone will understand how to open it or even realise these are shears.
Will this item cut through tough materials like kevlar? My gear is not body armour, but dealing with tough materials might be an issue https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... =UTF8&th=1
Thank you

You can get Kevlar shears example:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Engineer-Versa ... 131&sr=8-5

Omega

Post by Omega »

Cool! Thanks for the link - I think this is a way to go