Walkie-talkies 1km urban (small town) range

Paracord1945

Re: Walkie-talkies 1km urban (small town) range

Post by Paracord1945 »

space.gamer wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:35 pm Hi there! I’m hoping you can help. I’ve looked over several posts here already but couldn’t find someone ask the same question but apologies if they have.

I’m looking for a walkie-talkie (or other communication device) that will work well in an urban/town location, specially a seaside location in Kent, UK. I have a few family members who live around 1km as way from me as the crow flies. Being a seaside town, it’s relatively flat but there are houses and schools around (but no big hills or skyscrapers!)

I’ve tried to research as much as I can and know that line-of-sight is always an issue, hence looking for the best (affordable) device for the UK.

Requirements:

[*]Capability to power device with normal AA/AAA or similar batteries (if additional power options are also available at the same time, that’s a bonus)
[*]Range 1km (perhaps 1.5km) with flat land but typical residential location
[*]Not looking for the cheapest but not the most expensive either - I need perhaps 3 or 4 devices so looking at £50-ish each. Perhaps more but no more than £100 each
[*]Nice to have something that is easy to use - one device will be used by 7 year old (intelligent) child possibly
[*]Usage mainly for bug-out situation in emergency assuming no power, internet or mobile phone signal
[*]License free

I was thinking about something like these from Motorola:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorola-Talka ... C68&sr=8-1

or these (but these don’t appear to be quite as good a spec from what I can see):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorola-Talka ... 605&sr=8-2

Any thoughts? Feel free to share recommended Amazon UK links if you wish. (I like Amazon :D … should I just go by Amazon ratings?)

ty in advance.
Hello, I hope this might be of some use to you. I have used these in the mountains in Andorra a couple of years ago. I am planning on using them again in just over a weeks time on my return to the Pyrenees with my partner. They are very robust and the battery lasts a good couple of years I found when left off.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Midland-G7-Pro ... B083THY9YV
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

steptoe wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:56 pm
rik_uk3 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:36 am The UV-5R will do the job.

You can programme favourite channels using 'CHIRP' software (included) loaded on your computer/laptop. Once you've done one you save an image of your work and can then simply transfer over to other units you have.

Plenty of videos on youtube to guide you through the process.

You can also listen to FM radio such as the BBC stations.
Hi mate sorry to jump in do you mean withthe UV-5R you can listen to standard bbc channels i might get one if so i have a wind up radio and just got a few sets of short range walkies but one that can laos transmit recv and get the bbc would be a bonus we have the big home ham set now it is all in a big stack and store for when i set up with a licence but it can be taken should we need to move , we also have a few cb sets to for use in the car not got round to fitting yet but just the same old thing from the 80's lol .

I am still looking for a fm/am usb lsw mobile set as well as i think come the day we will need to keep in touch with as i call preppers helpers , because we can all help each other if not in the phsyical form it could just be knowledge
The UV-5R comes in a few models, power rated different.
I have one of these... and it's excellent
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07X6T4HPM/
To program it with Chirp, you need the correct Chirp cable. Recommended if you have two radios.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zerone-Program ... 07KVWCP4K/
You can get an AA battery adaptor, too.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08SJ2K2DH/

And it gets regular analogue VHF FM, so you have BBC channels and local radio stations, for as long as cars have analogue radio.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

jennyjj01 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:50 pm
steptoe wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:56 pm
rik_uk3 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:36 am The UV-5R will do the job.

You can programme favourite channels using 'CHIRP' software (included) loaded on your computer/laptop. Once you've done one you save an image of your work and can then simply transfer over to other units you have.

Plenty of videos on youtube to guide you through the process.

You can also listen to FM radio such as the BBC stations.
Hi mate sorry to jump in do you mean withthe UV-5R you can listen to standard bbc channels i might get one if so i have a wind up radio and just got a few sets of short range walkies but one that can laos transmit recv and get the bbc would be a bonus we have the big home ham set now it is all in a big stack and store for when i set up with a licence but it can be taken should we need to move , we also have a few cb sets to for use in the car not got round to fitting yet but just the same old thing from the 80's lol .

I am still looking for a fm/am usb lsw mobile set as well as i think come the day we will need to keep in touch with as i call preppers helpers , because we can all help each other if not in the phsyical form it could just be knowledge
The UV-5R comes in a few models, power rated different.
I have one of these... and it's excellent
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07X6T4HPM/
To program it with Chirp, you need the correct Chirp cable. Recommended if you have two radios.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zerone-Program ... 07KVWCP4K/
You can get an AA battery adaptor, too.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08SJ2K2DH/

And it gets regular analogue VHF FM, so you have BBC channels and local radio stations, for as long as cars have analogue radio.
Hi jenny the one you show was not aval i found the uv-10r 10w model is that the same and also do you know what antenna people are using on them i saw the what i can bendy folding ones but have been told they are not that good more the gimic value ok thanks for the in put and help , a hand held will be needed
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

Yes you can receive the FM band no problem...I use mine in the garden for radio 4
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

Yes you can receive the FM band no problem, I use one in the garden tuned to a local 2m ham repeater to hear who's on air (chat with the 'local' lads) but often listen to BBC radio........radio 4 of course ;)
Richard
South Wales UK
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

Yes you can receive the FM band no problem, I use one in the garden tuned to a local 2m ham repeater to hear who's on air (chat with the 'local' lads) but often listen to BBC radio........radio 4 of course ;)
Richard
South Wales UK
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

steptoe wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:31 pm Hi jenny the one you show was not aval i found the uv-10r 10w model is that the same and also do you know what antenna people are using on them i saw the what i can bendy folding ones but have been told they are not that good more the gimic value ok thanks for the in put and help , a hand held will be needed
Not familiar with that model, but it looks to have the same features and be a bit extra powerful. You might not be able to get an AA battery adaptor. It features USB charging, which is handy.
I can't speak for antennae except to say that longer is better and anecdotally, there's some hooky knock offs on sale.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

steptoe

Post by steptoe »

rik_uk3 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:24 am Yes you can receive the FM band no problem...I use mine in the garden for radio 4
Hi Richard is that the model i listed the uv-10r as being able to use it to transmit and also listen to bbc would make it a bigger bonus for me because if SHTF we will all need to track each other down , i have ordered my book for the foundation course and once i have read that i will look at taking the test but i like to have things in place before i jump in on exmas , as someone who left school at 14 well you know what i am saying i think , i am good at maths and building work and working problems out but well exams i was not so good i loss patients fast with paperwork .

To jenny thank you for the replies i might order thet newer model then i am sure i can get a spare battery pack , i do have a large full home ham set up and a very nice large antenna ready to go i also have one of the sock type antennas that go on a telescopic fishing pole , but i also have 3 bd's to but the hand held would come in handy as i say if SHTF and say i was driving to you to drop supplies say you could then direct us if as i think sat navs would be no good .

Ok thank you all for such a wealth of knowledge
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

steptoe wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:50 am
Did I read that you are not licensed yet?
I assume you are familiar with Essex Ham?
The beginners level Amateur radio exam is really pretty easy to pass, IMHO and worth doing to get your callsign. Also good knowledge to have for things like Ohms law and Power equation. It's a big confidence boost.

steptoe

Post by steptoe »

jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:33 am
steptoe wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:50 am
Did I read that you are not licensed yet?
I assume you are familiar with Essex Ham?
The beginners level Amateur radio exam is really pretty easy to pass, IMHO and worth doing to get your callsign. Also good knowledge to have for things like Ohms law and Power equation. It's a big confidence boost.
Hi yes i was pointed to join the essex ham course i have spoken to pete but i signed to the site not the course yet i have ordered the book they recommend you read before taking the test , i am one who believes in get it all in place before you do a test , so want to raed the book and learn all i can then pass , to many rush at things like a bull in a china shop and fail at the first hurdle and get dishearterned , like shooting so many join a club and want to shoot a bull every time and when they can not hit the black well their guns get sold very cheap or they get the fac and go out buying god knows what before speaking to shooters about kit .

This is why i am full of questions on the ham side i use to run cb back in the 70's and 80's but then well girls started to take my mind that and drink lol , i am now of a mind set learn all i can , thank you for pointing me to essex ham and i have also made contact with the local ham group who said i am welcome there and they don't mind me wearing a mask , i can't have the covid jab and has the wife and i are sicknotes lol i have to be very careful as the doctors told me if i get it ,it will more than likely finish me off because of the immune issies i have and the heart and brain issues .

I am so grateful to the site wish i had found it years ago , we have been preppers well ever since we been together 36 years lol we have always said an extra tin in the cupboard means and extra meal .

Thansk aagain jenny for all the pointers