UK economy.

For all things financial
itsybitsy

Re: UK economy.

Post by itsybitsy »

Just for clarification - we're not telling anyone to stop posting. It *is* a forum, after all. :D
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Catching the news this morning it said that the cost of government borrowing has dropped as the "markets have reacted positively" purely on the announcement that the chancellor is going to make a statement. No statement or action but the markets can increase or wipe out millions at little more than a wim.
I can't help thinking that half our woes are caused by a very few unelected gamblers who control the "markets" . Do they actually add anything in the way of value ? Value being a company's actual worth rather than it's nominal monetary worth .
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

grenfell wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:35 am Catching the news this morning it said that the cost of government borrowing has dropped as the "markets have reacted positively" purely on the announcement that the chancellor is going to make a statement. No statement or action but the markets can increase or wipe out millions at little more than a wim.
I can't help thinking that half our woes are caused by a very few unelected gamblers who control the "markets" . Do they actually add anything in the way of value ? Value being a company's actual worth rather than it's nominal monetary worth .
Those 'unelected gamblers', fund managers, traders of all sorts, oil the wheels of supply and demand and tighten the gap between what a companies shares cost to buy and price to sell. That in turn provides the liquidity for businesses to raise investment funds and for schemes to pay our pensions.
Distasteful as it is, they provide a service.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

They are the real power behind the throne and can make or break government's.
Fill er up jacko...
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Vitamin c wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:19 am They are the real power behind the throne and can make or break government's.
They can also be either ruthlessly clever or incredibly thick. Wolves and sheep in the same industry. Just because a fund manager or trader is bouncing billions about doesn't mean he's clever or will always be successful. It's a whole 'nother level.
Not much we can do about those guys or their activities.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

grenfell

Post by grenfell »

jennyjj01 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:28 am Not much we can do about those guys or their activities.
Short of a Golgafrincham approach...
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

grenfell wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:10 am
jennyjj01 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:28 am Not much we can do about those guys or their activities.
I had to google that :) https://hitchhikers.fandom.com/wiki/Golgafrincham
Send them on the B ark as the advance party, to crash land into the planet :)

Were they the guys that used Leaves for currency? :)

Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

It does appear that nobody is in charge down there at the moment.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

jennyjj01 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:45 pm
grenfell wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:10 am
I had to google that :) https://hitchhikers.fandom.com/wiki/Golgafrincham
Send them on the B ark as the advance party, to crash land into the planet :)

Were they the guys that used Leaves for currency? :)
Yes that's them and then when the over availability of leaves made everyone unbelievably rich but also caused hyperinflation their response was to burn the forests down.
jansman

Post by jansman »

So it appears that original tax DECREASES will now be kept at current levels. After the original First Winter,the £66 a month help towards electricity bills will stop. From the end of it,a new system will be introduced for those who are financially poorer. Etc etc.

What Jeremy Hunt's statement means for you https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63285246 He happens to be the fella dealing with it, and who he is means nowt to me.

All that will affect the UK Economy. Who it’s affected ( officially by) ,*I* will not comment on. In my experience,all life experiences simply happen. I just deal with it. This is no different.

Today I was talking to my gaffer. He’s a very wealthy man,and boy o boy ,was he whinging ! :lol: His three children ( all in their 30’s, and all company directors) are moaning about costs of cars,fuel,mortgage rates,heating. They are not poor - certainly not by the standards of Mrs J and me. ;)

I put it to the gaffer that back in the day,mortgage rates ( when we bought this place) was 15.25% . Eventually in the mid 90’s we considered 8% to be ok.It’s still nowhere near that yet,but folks are whining.As my wife put it though: Even our kids won’t change life to accept less,like we did. If there’s no new car,phone,holiday etc.etc. they think life is tough! My wife said that when she saw todays news! ;) Inflation was like that too. It’s been very cheap living for a very long time. Now it’s changing.

Now I was gonna post this ,but literally ,Tesco just brought our weekly order. Great. :D There were a good old number of substitutes,and I just shrugged my shoulders and said “that’s fine”. The delivery chap was really surprised. He told me thatvery,very rarely ,do folks react like me. :o He knows my trade,and I told him that we have similar reactions from shortages. I won’t go on,but I will say ,that our UK economy/supply is going to - indeed is - changing. We have to adapt and deal with it.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.