UK economy.

For all things financial
diamond lil

Re: UK economy.

Post by diamond lil »

I'm glad you turned the thread back on track jm, thank you. I'm thinking hard here about our circumstances. Health probs crop up without warning and alter everything, so you have to keep adapting and changing plans. Since I can't decide what to do, I'm sitting tight for the winter and doing nothing. Seems sensible to me :mrgreen:
Saving hard - taking all spare out of the bank and into the safe. Streamlining the meals and food coming in. Heating, well I'll not skimp too much on that, got to stay well. Trying to rally the family and get us all closer after a few years of feuding - life's too short and we need family. That's about it just now.
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:55 pm I'm glad you turned the thread back on track jm, thank you. I'm thinking hard here about our circumstances. Health probs crop up without warning and alter everything, so you have to keep adapting and changing plans. Since I can't decide what to do, I'm sitting tight for the winter and doing nothing. Seems sensible to me :mrgreen:
Saving hard - taking all spare out of the bank and into the safe. Streamlining the meals and food coming in. Heating well I'll not skimp too much on that, got to stay well. Trying to rally the family and get us all closer after a few years of feuding - life's to short and we need family. That's about it just now.
Health is massive. God himself knows that. Last three years or so has seen that between the gaffer and me, for sure. As for family , you are SO right Lil. Like you, we’ve had ups and downs, but the fortunate part of J’s cancer and then me having heart issues has pulled us all back together. With that ALL issues can be handled, we are sure.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jansman wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:19 pm
pseudonym wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:49 pm
Frnc wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:44 pm I'm all for goats escaping, and roaming free.
They can roam free into a curry anytime they like. :mrgreen:
I love goats. Unfortunately,now I have no suitable land,I cannot keep them anymore. Mind you,if the economy goes wrong,then I do know who to ask for some ‘space’ ;) ;) In my game,I know how to make money from such livestock. In fact my rabbits are doing me some good right now,as this time of year,they become wanted! :D

When I started this thread ,I did not expect it to become a daily criticism of our current government! :lol: :lol: Quite obviously,one of our members is turning it into a daily news of a government he doesn’t like! Sorry ,but that’s how it seems,AND ITS GETTING BORING! :(

Twice,I mentioned Argentina and the book that described how the population dealt with the economic crash - REGARDLESS OF POLITICIANS!

Unfortunately ,this thread seems to have turned into a hatred - scheme about UK gubbermint. :lol: :lol: Make a change FRNC! ;)

So come on Preppers and real survivalists; What will YOU do to survive a smashed economy? WITHOUT slagging the alleged leaders!

I’ll start it. My pension ( private) seems to have shrunk,and government issues appear to have had a bit towards the issue. Moaning here won’t change that! Mrs J and me want to semi retire next year. INSTEAD OF PENSION ISSUES we are looking at downshifting property and the like. We have a plan!

Back in the early 80’s Economic Collapse was forecast for the early years in the 21st century. Not far off the mark,as 2008 was a massive hit from the … you all know! Back then ,I got real in effort to pay this place off. Believe me,I am not rich,nor my wife. However,we paid off ( it left us 50 quid in the bank!) and we sold our car off and had no holiday for three years. Angry? No! We looked after ourselves. We survived,because we could see crap coming.

And that crap is here. So what PRACTICAL stuff will you do to deal with the demise of the UK economy: rather than whinging about the daily political ‘news’?
Well, ok. I just thought with the title and the OP, this thread was about what's going on in the economy, not what we personally are doing. I will desist from posting any analysis.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

So what am I personally doing?
Paid off my mortgage.
Retired at 57, took out a small company pension. Put the lump sum in saving accounts. I get a bit each month and about 60% of it goes up 3% each year. The rest doesn't go up. The money in savings accounts gets about 2-3%.
I have two lodgers who've been with me for years. Their rent is a bit low as it has only gone up a tiny amount.
Fixed my gas and electricity price for 3 years last autumn.
Get the state pension in three years. I'm paying my NI so I'll get the full state pension even though I was contracted out. That should go up to £10,000 a year soon.
I have a stock of food, torches, camping stoves, etc. Loads of winter clothes.
Got a new boiler installed. Checked the regs. Got them coming back on Monday to lag the condensate pipe and put limestone ships around the soakaway.
I did think about getting a wood stove fitted in a fireplace, but it's a lot of money and you can't just burn any old wood as it's a smokeless area.
Mostly I'm just trying to spend less and build up my savings. My electricity use last month was a record low, under 200 kWh (< £40)
Monitoring temperature and gas use daily. My target for this month is sub 16 kWh per day. So far on 9.2.
Not had the heating on yet, apart from a quick test.
Electric oven is rarely used now. Mostly cooking with flask, microwave and air fryer/mini oven.
I do have gas hobs but only use them for frying an egg or mushrooms.
Much more careful wth grocery spending now, shopping around, buying what's cheap or on offer.
Lost 3 stone, down to 11, try to keep fit. Did 10 mile bike ride yesterday. I do pullups and weights etc.
I don't have a car, just a bicycle, but it has two racks so can carry 4 panniers.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Frnc wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:32 am
pseudonym wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:49 pm

They can roam free into a curry anytime they like. :mrgreen:
I love goats. Unfortunately,now I have no suitable land,I cannot keep them anymore. Mind you,if the economy goes wrong,then I do know who to ask for some ‘space’ ;) ;) In my game,I know how to make money from such livestock. In fact my rabbits are doing me some good right now,as this time of year,they become wanted! :D

When I started this thread ,I did not expect it to become a daily criticism of our current government! :lol: :lol: Quite obviously,one of our members is turning it into a daily news of a government he doesn’t like! Sorry ,but that’s how it seems,AND ITS GETTING BORING! :(

Twice,I mentioned Argentina and the book that described how the population dealt with the economic crash - REGARDLESS OF POLITICIANS!

Unfortunately ,this thread seems to have turned into a hatred - scheme about UK gubbermint. :lol: :lol: Make a change FRNC! ;)

So come on Preppers and real survivalists; What will YOU do to survive a smashed economy? WITHOUT slagging the alleged leaders!

I’ll start it. My pension ( private) seems to have shrunk,and government issues appear to have had a bit towards the issue. Moaning here won’t change that! Mrs J and me want to semi retire next year. INSTEAD OF PENSION ISSUES we are looking at downshifting property and the like. We have a plan!

Back in the early 80’s Economic Collapse was forecast for the early years in the 21st century. Not far off the mark,as 2008 was a massive hit from the … you all know! Back then ,I got real in effort to pay this place off. Believe me,I am not rich,nor my wife. However,we paid off ( it left us 50 quid in the bank!) and we sold our car off and had no holiday for three years. Angry? No! We looked after ourselves. We survived,because we could see crap coming.

And that crap is here. So what PRACTICAL stuff will you do to deal with the demise of the UK economy: rather than whinging about the daily political ‘news’?
Well, ok. I just thought with the title and the OP, this thread was about what's going on in the economy, not what we personally are doing. I will desist from posting any analysis.
A bit of analysis is fine, it's just we don't need it every hour on every facet of what's happening with the government. :)
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

itsybitsy wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:12 am
Frnc wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:32 am

A bit of analysis is fine, it's just we don't need it every hour on every facet of what's happening with the government. :)
Yeah, sorry. I have a tendency to get obsessed with something, and at the time I don't realise.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

No worries.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

itsybitsy wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:16 amNo worries.
Cheers.
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

Frnc wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:18 am

I enjoy your content you make a effort
Thanks
Cheers.
Fill er up jacko...
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

Vitamin c wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:35 am
Frnc wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:18 am

I enjoy your content you make a effort
Thanks
Cheers.

That came out wrong ??
Fill er up jacko...