Reality kicking in..

For all things financial
Vitamin c

Reality kicking in..

Post by Vitamin c »

Went to see relatives yesterday we had been speaking about power prices and they said it would be fine .
Well yesterday it was about 4/5 above freezing and in the evening when I left them it had gone down to 2 above.
They had bought these giant fleece hoodie all in one things from premark and yesterday was day one of them testing them
It didn't go well I was wearing outdoor clothes and a coat they had on their hoodies and it was cold they cooked me a nice meal and after that I couldn't get out of their fast enough .
It just didn't work curled up on the sofa and just not warm especially hands ,feet , heads .
I don't know how their going to cope this just wrap up and we'll be OK is a joke and this at just the start of winter.

Do you know anybody like this.
Fill er up jacko...
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Reality kicking in..

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I'm a hardened Yorkshire man I work outside all day when I get home the house feels like an oven even if the heating is on low last night I was pottering around in the shed and sorting car stuff out in a thermal top and wool jumper. That said I was cold in bed at one point last night either I'm coming down with something or Mrs a had pinched the duvet :roll:

Did deal with someone suffering from the cold yesterday stood shivering outside at work he go ordered to go get a brew and go sit in the warm for half an hour chucked him a mars bar too seemed to do the trick

But it's not going to do many people good living in a cold house it's going to exacerbate underlying health issues et all
That's before we get onto damp / black mould and the healtj issues that can cause
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Vitamin c wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:28 pm Went to see relatives yesterday we had been speaking about power prices and they said it would be fine .
Well yesterday it was about 4/5 above freezing and in the evening when I left them it had gone down to 2 above.
They had bought these giant fleece hoodie all in one things from premark and yesterday was day one of them testing them
It didn't go well I was wearing outdoor clothes and a coat they had on their hoodies and it was cold they cooked me a nice meal and after that I couldn't get out of their fast enough .
It just didn't work curled up on the sofa and just not warm especially hands ,feet , heads .
I don't know how their going to cope this just wrap up and we'll be OK is a joke and this at just the start of winter.

I've noticed I've got used to cooler temperatures over the last few weeks. I didn't use any heat in October and only a few days in November. I don't feel cold with my room at 19.0°. In the past I'd get cold hands and feet at this temp. I even bought some convertible mitts-to-fingerless, but I've not worn them for a while. I'm wearing a jumper that is ultra-thin because really it's a base layer two sizes too big. But I suspect your friends' place is quite a bit colder. I have my thermostat in the living room set at 17 during the day, but after a few hours my bedroom is more like 19.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Vitamin c wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:28 pm I don't know how their going to cope this just wrap up and we'll be OK is a joke and this at just the start of winter.

What's also not going to work is "Contact your energy provider, they have a range of ways to help you"

They tell you to turn stuff off and they'll put you on our dearest PAYG tariff. They'll put you on a payment plan which will cost more per month that your current direct debit. Oh and they'll be doubling the tariff again next year!

This is not a crisis. This is apocalypse now for many homes.

In november, I used 31% less gas than November last year and I still paid 36% more on my bill.

We reach a point where frugality is not going to be enough.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

Agreed I've used a lot less and paid a hell of a lot more
One of daughters her house is the same they are in the oversized fleece onsies and tucked into sleeping bags on sofa I was frozen solid but what can they do ? She works but can only afford so much its very difficult for a lot of people
Years ago when they were all little I had a massive house no central heating
Put another jumper on was a regular saying ..
As I left shivering she yelled ..mum put another jumper on .
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

GeeGee wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:32 pm Agreed I've used a lot less and paid a hell of a lot more
One of daughters her house is the same they are in the oversized fleece onsies and tucked into sleeping bags on sofa I was frozen solid but what can they do ? She works but can only afford so much its very difficult for a lot of people
Who can afford jumpers! :lol:
I'll be wearing my Last Year's Christmas jumper again this year. Might keep it on till March.

We had guests last week and put the heating up just for their benefit. Horrible to have guests shivering. Can't greet them at the door with a Onesie each.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jennyjj01 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:52 pm
GeeGee wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:32 pm Agreed I've used a lot less and paid a hell of a lot more
Who can afford jumpers! :lol:
I'll be wearing my Last Year's Christmas jumper again this year. Might keep it on till March.

We had guests last week and put the heating up just for their benefit. Horrible to have guests shivering. Can't greet them at the door with a Onesie each.
If it's the in-laws don't offer a onsie and insist on taking their coats.... They don't stay long :twisted:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Fleece isn't really warm. You need proper cold weather clothes and that means wool.
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

Well in my area in the south Midlands temperatures are predicted to go - 1 and - 2 next week
I wonder how the onesie community get on let alone the old and now 2.5 million too sick to work because of long covid.
Fill er up jacko...
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

diamond lil wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:01 pm Fleece isn't really warm. You need proper cold weather clothes and that means wool.
Climbers and hill walkers have worn fleece for decades. It started with them. Malden Mills made Polar Fleece and all the climbers and hillwalkers etc bought it. There was only one brand, one type. Oh, there was also that stuff called pile that was lumpy on the inside and harsh on the outside, too heavy. For a long time the only wool climbers wore was socks. Nowadays some wear marino wool base layers. I'm actually wearing one right now, but I wear it as a thin jumper, two sizes too big.
My fleece jacket is a cheap Regatta microfleece and it's definitely a bit warmer than this wool 'jumper'. I'd say it is probably slightly thicker though. In fact it's usually too warm, at least for indoors.
I always wear wool socks in winter, sometimes hiking socks, but usually just thin normal ones.