Allotment: Woo Hoooo!!! :) :) :)

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jennyjj01

Re: Allotment: Woo Hoooo!!! :) :) :)

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:53 pm When you start getting spuds,you are getting somewhere. :D
Cheers. Feels like a landmark victory. I wish I had some chip sized spuds in.
I've pulled these 3 arbitrary spugs out, leaving my bed looking like a bomb-site. Should i just pop some main crop seeds in the holes? Or wait till I've cleared a big area.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:34 pm
jansman wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:53 pm When you start getting spuds,you are getting somewhere. :D
Cheers. Feels like a landmark victory. I wish I had some chip sized spuds in.
I've pulled these 3 arbitrary spugs out, leaving my bed looking like a bomb-site. Should i just pop some main crop seeds in the holes? Or wait till I've cleared a big area.
Personally I would clear it in the traditional way.If you haveseed spuds however,get em in wherever! Otherwise you’ll be too late.one good thing about climate change,we get about six weeks extra to what we did forty years ago…
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

I'm getting somewhere :lol:
Well 11 days since I visited the plot and the weeds have gone insane.
Pretty much all my spuds had died back and the weeds made it hard to see where they were. Fortunately I'd laid them out in a grid pattern, so I went at it with my fork. I got carried away and harvested most of the spuds I could find. YAYYYYY.
I filled a morrisons fruit box. Only a 3 inch deep one, but I estimate I have over 10kg of spuds. :D :D :D :D :D
Most are little Desiree ones from the lidl 19p christmas bag! :!: Very few will be big enough to make chips.

My carrot patch was weed central. I managed to identify and harvest two carrots, both middle finger sized. Pathetic. They were supposed to be big fat Nantes. Lifted 3 of my 48 onions because they were keeled over,

So..... Biggest harvest of anything, ever, for me.......
IMG_20230713_201748.jpg
Currently sat in a box in my warm garage. When they are dried, I'll grade them a bit and sack em up. This crop is too big for us two to eat in a timely fashion, so some will get frozen. I might try canning some in mason jars.

Speaking of Mason Jars. Wilko are having a laugh. 450g Mason jars with ONE piece lids at £2.50. That's nuts :!:
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

As I said, the allotment has turned into Weed Central over the last two weeks of neglect. :oops: :oops: Strawberries, A mass of weeds.... Raspberries cohabiting with bindweed.... Spud bed looking like a WW1 battlefield full of weeds and big holes. Onion bed 50% weeds, including some nasties. Marestail and Bindweed having a party in my absence.

I NEED to have a full day on it, ASAP, in an effort to get a second crop of something. ANYTHING.
There's easily a day of weeding to be done and with the marestail, it will all get taken offsite. Tick Tock..... sowing time is ebbing away.