What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Out with the old thread onto the new year 2108 posts in the last thread for 2022... Let's see how this one goes ....
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Frnc

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

Post by Frnc »

My New Year's resolution is to give up prepping.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Oh damn, I just ordered a new shelving unit for my new prep room!
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

Well folks the new year is nearly here but i am still like the little squirrel dashing round hidding me nuts "Andy keep it clean lol" just had my amazon drop for the day got in loads of high 5 powder drink protian and energy as most will knowi struggle with food in take health wise and this stuff along with complain helps the body a bit .

I also got in individual tea sachet , coffee and suagr and some high 5 sachets for the grab bags you got to have a brew if you have to leave home and the energy drinks will be a must .

I also ordered in some lovely knives and multi tools sets for the mrs and i as we do identical grab and go bags other than hers will have ladies bits in mine the razor lol .

Ok well folks keep prepping never be put off but never over step the budget

HAPPY NEW YEAR
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

steptoe wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:28 pm never over step the budget

HAPPY NEW YEAR
Happy New Year
Yes, I think the number one thing I've learned in particular this year is the importance of not being in debt, having money saved up, having a decent amount available for emergencies. I've had a few big expenses this year. The biggest was a £6,700 repair bill for the roof. This occurred while I was waiting for a date for my dad's funeral, which would mean travelling and staying at my mum's, plus I had to get the leak fixed, so I had a lot of pressure to find a roofer, find the money, and get it done. I went from having £5,000 available to being £1,000 overdrawn. Sod's law, I'd just forked out £1,200 towards a new boiler and £300 to replace a broken kitchen sink. I'm only on a low income. Also I've spent £230 on a new shower as the old one was leaking, £80 on an electrician as a light switch was buzzing, another £80 for the electrician when I had the boiler fitted. That last one was unexpected too. We had no hot water for 3 days while I got that sorted. Altogether that's £8,290, over half a year's income.
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

Frnc wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:46 am
steptoe wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:28 pm never over step the budget

HAPPY NEW YEAR
Happy New Year
Yes, I think the number one thing I've learned in particular this year is the importance of not being in debt, having money saved up, having a decent amount available for emergencies. I've had a few big expenses this year. The biggest was a £6,700 repair bill for the roof. This occurred while I was waiting for a date for my dad's funeral, which would mean travelling and staying at my mum's, plus I had to get the leak fixed, so I had a lot of pressure to find a roofer, find the money, and get it done. I went from having £5,000 available to being £1,000 overdrawn. Sod's law, I'd just forked out £1,200 towards a new boiler and £300 to replace a broken kitchen sink. I'm only on a low income. Also I've spent £230 on a new shower as the old one was leaking, £80 on an electrician as a light switch was buzzing, another £80 for the electrician when I had the boiler fitted. That last one was unexpected too. We had no hot water for 3 days while I got that sorted. Altogether that's £8,290, over half a year's income.
Wow so it was not just us unlucky with the roof , we knew our kitchen roof was old and well like you we had no choice in the end but i did also get the main house roof and chimney repointed at the same time , our boiler went mad for a while but we did find a good guy in the end but again check round for trades people some will charge silly money one guy quoted £200 call out fix or not and then £80 per house or part after that nice work if you can get it .
My wife and i have never in the last number of years had debt we always say if we do not have the cash we don't have the treat , we have taken out at time buy now pay later stuff for carpet or such but only if it is interested free always look for that stuff if you go in get a price first then look round and ask if it is interested free, do not ask first then get a price i think they stick some on other wise and say oh yes we can do it .
In regard to spends on preppering i think food has come top of our list this year again i do buy in loads of other stuff but again i keep to the if we have the cash i will buy the treat .
Like today i am shopping for grip seal bags as i love them i just had a new vacuum sealer as well that was a big treat for christmas for me but the grip seal bags are a god send to they really are , i am also shoping for meal replacement in the powder and liquid form as i struggle with solids but hey the bonus is i can have some yummy stuff lol .
To all New prepperers just do not OVERSPEND an extra tin of bean or carrots or soup a week will soon have you with more than you need little and often as they say
Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

happy new year peeps,called into our local home bargins yesterday with sole purpose of stocking up on medical supplies,and to buy one of the plastic box organisers with the compartments to put everything in,so cleared the shelf of what 29p and 39p bandages they had boxes of differnet plasters,strepsills,cotton buds etc,
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

Rusty74 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:59 pm happy new year peeps,called into our local home bargins yesterday with sole purpose of stocking up on medical supplies,and to buy one of the plastic box organisers with the compartments to put everything in,so cleared the shelf of what 29p and 39p bandages they had boxes of differnet plasters,strepsills,cotton buds etc,
LOL your a man after my own heart , we went in to farmfoods and i love the coffee they do so i cleared the shelves and the 2 boxes from out back lol , it got hard to find during lockdown and as we might go there again with the new chinese strain i am not taking any chances .

I can tell you after advice on here i for a great cheap first aid kit to go in our grab bags i think andy recommended it , i added a few bits we also got a cheap sewing kit to , out home medical kit is a 24 inch by 12 inch x 12" tool box in the brightest orange you can think off , i was going to use a rucksack but we went tool box for the simple reason it can be outside in the rain and not worry .

Also mate watch amazon at this time of year they have sales on the mepore patches they are the ones used atfre ops and that great for injuries to also you can buy butterfly stitch packs on there cheap i got 2000 in 3 sizes for not much over a £5 i think , they are a good send on slice cuts , also we have a shop in the village that does cheap branded perfumes and body stuff but they also have medical stuff we got 24 bottles of dettol for i think 50p a bottle ,not sure if you have the samne stores up there but keep in mind hunt them out in them stores
Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

steptoe wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:16 pm
Rusty74 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:59 pm happy new year peeps,called into our local home bargins yesterday with sole purpose of stocking up on medical supplies,and to buy one of the plastic box organisers with the compartments to put everything in,so cleared the shelf of what 29p and 39p bandages they had boxes of differnet plasters,strepsills,cotton buds etc,
LOL your a man after my own heart , we went in to farmfoods and i love the coffee they do so i cleared the shelves and the 2 boxes from out back lol , it got hard to find during lockdown and as we might go there again with the new chinese strain i am not taking any chances .

I can tell you after advice on here i for a great cheap first aid kit to go in our grab bags i think andy recommended it , i added a few bits we also got a cheap sewing kit to , out home medical kit is a 24 inch by 12 inch x 12" tool box in the brightest orange you can think off , i was going to use a rucksack but we went tool box for the simple reason it can be outside in the rain and not worry .

Also mate watch amazon at this time of year they have sales on the mepore patches they are the ones used atfre ops and that great for injuries to also you can buy butterfly stitch packs on there cheap i got 2000 in 3 sizes for not much over a £5 i think , they are a good send on slice cuts , also we have a shop in the village that does cheap branded perfumes and body stuff but they also have medical stuff we got 24 bottles of dettol for i think 50p a bottle ,not sure if you have the samne stores up there but keep in mind hunt them out in them stores
cheers for the heads up,i use farm foods when i get the money off vouchers in the post,though iv noticed how much stuff has increased in price there and you get less off with the vouchers,i really need to be banned from places like bnm and home bargins,iv even tried going in with no trolly or basket and end up juggling everything to the till or going back for a basket lol
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Rusty74 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:24 pm
cheers for the heads up,i use farm foods when i get the money off vouchers in the post,though iv noticed how much stuff has increased in price there and you get less off with the vouchers,
I noticed that too probably mid summer stuff in there went ballistic in price and the quantity/ weights of some of their own brand stuff went down ....

I se to hit b&m / home bargains now for shelf stable stuff (tins/ packets ) over farm foods now

There's less than a 5 minute walk between them all here
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine