Long time survivalist/prepper, new to this forum- hello from Oxfordshire

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
XRS001

Long time survivalist/prepper, new to this forum- hello from Oxfordshire

Post by XRS001 »

Interesting forum, nice to read through the willingness to share info posts & posts welcoming nooks.

I have been a primitavist for a very long time, at least 20+ years & prepper for about 5. I have taught adults bushcraft from time to time. I lived off grid for 12 years (solar & wind powered). I run a yearly camp for 160 people in a field for 10 days & am in charge of the hot water system in the field, we also compost the waste in the field in a home built dry sanitation composting toilet.

My primary interests are civilisation collapse & long term survival in a changing climate. In my opinion the Climate Emergency will get worse. We are currently in catch up to the impact of 500ppm CO2 in the atmosphere. Planetary warming is well on its way to 2.5°C+ by the end of the century. The few days at 40°C we experienced last summer may be the start of a new trend of unbearably hot summers. Precipitation patterns are changing.

Beyond stockpiling food & water how to we survive the collapse of agriculture? These are the type of discussions I am interested in. I am very happy to share what I know, experiences and what I have tried.
Arzosah

Re: Long time survivalist/prepper, new to this forum- hello from Oxfordshire

Post by Arzosah »

Welcome to the forum - I've never heard the term "primativist", very interesting, there's a big overlap with prepperdom, from the sound of it. And yes, I think a fair few people on here that the climate crisis is the source of an awful lot of the problems we're going to be facing.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

XRS001 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:36 pm Interesting forum, nice to read through the willingness to share info posts & posts welcoming nooks.

I have been a primitavist for a very long time, at least 20+ years & prepper for about 5. I have taught adults bushcraft from time to time. I lived off grid for 12 years (solar & wind powered). I run a yearly camp for 160 people in a field for 10 days & am in charge of the hot water system in the field, we also compost the waste in the field in a home built dry sanitation composting toilet.

My primary interests are civilisation collapse & long term survival in a changing climate. In my opinion the Climate Emergency will get worse. We are currently in catch up to the impact of 500ppm CO2 in the atmosphere. Planetary warming is well on its way to 2.5°C+ by the end of the century. The few days at 40°C we experienced last summer may be the start of a new trend of unbearably hot summers. Precipitation patterns are changing.

Beyond stockpiling food & water how to we survive the collapse of agriculture? These are the type of discussions I am interested in. I am very happy to share what I know, experiences and what I have tried.
Interesting, welcome.
Regarding the climate, I think your figure of 2.5° is if anything on the low side. 3-4 is possible. Ultimately, 8 is now likely, on a longer timescale. Anything above 1.5 is a disaster for many people.

Regarding civilisation collapse, that could happen even quicker. In my opinion, the UK has been on a downward path since 1979.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

XRS001 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:36 pm Interesting forum, nice to read through the willingness to share info posts & posts welcoming nooks.

I have been a primitavist for a very long time,
Welcome to the forum.

Most of us here, tend towards bugging in rather than bugging out. Which makes you and your experience pretty rare and valuable. I look forward to your contributions. Expect some questions :)
And as to post crisis agriculture, you'll find a few homesteaders here who are largely self sufficient within their own environment.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

So what do people do on this yearly camp?
XRS001

Post by XRS001 »

The primary focus of the camp is music and dance. It's a family orientated environment. All the power is off grid, 70% solar, we use a generator for some of the amplified music, but the majority is acoustic.

We have off grid hot showers- wood fired, and solar this year.
We have a wood fired hot tub too.
I run workshops on how we build and maintain the showers.
I periodically teach Bushcraft there too, but it's not part of the main programme.
XRS001

Post by XRS001 »

Frnc wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:19 pm

Interesting, welcome.
Regarding the climate, I think your figure of 2.5° is if anything on the low side. 3-4 is possible. Ultimately, 8 is now likely, on a longer timescale. Anything above 1.5 is a disaster for many people.

Regarding civilisation collapse, that could happen even quicker. In my opinion, the UK has been on a downward path since 1979.
I don't disagree with you on that the expected temperature rise in the long and short term. As a rule I am sticking to what Dr James Hansen is currently predicting. Of course as industrial activity drops off the effects of the loss of aerosol masking may increase heating more rapidly. Then there is Guy McPhearson who thinks that there won't be humans left on earth in 2050.

1.5° could happen during the 2024 El Niňo. Its time to skill up.
XRS001

Post by XRS001 »

Arzosah wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:09 pm Welcome to the forum - I've never heard the term "primativist", very interesting, there's a big overlap with prepperdom, from the sound of it. And yes, I think a fair few people on here that the climate crisis is the source of an awful lot of the problems we're going to be facing.
"Primitivist"? I'm not a survivalist. I'm fascinated as to how we survived 900,000 years on this planet hunter gathering with some basic agriculture. These are the key skills for humans future adaptation to multiple systems collapse.
XRS001

Post by XRS001 »

jennyjj01 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:00 pm

I have been a primitavist for a very long time,
Welcome to the forum.

Most of us here, tend towards bugging in rather than bugging out. Which makes you and your experience pretty rare and valuable. I look forward to your contributions. Expect some questions :)
And as to post crisis agriculture, you'll find a few homesteaders here who are largely self sufficient within their own environment.
Thank you ☆

I'm not a fan of bugging out for these reasons: you are more vulnerable. You need to carry a lot of gear or be highly skilled (I could doi it with minimal kit but not support another person too). You could end up making yourself a refugee. A skilled equipped refugee is a target.

Bugging in is far better if you can but don't take risks like ignoring evacuations.

Nature & foraging can support you gardening & home prep. BTW foraging does not come with "holes in jumpers and dirty finger nails". I saw that in the responses under reedmace. Ignore reedmace to your peril- it has been on the planet since before the pleistocene, almost every part of the plant is edible. It captures CO2 and stores it in cells in the leaves. It has been a staple for hunter gatherers across the northern hemisphere it is sacred to many indigenous people's. Wetlands may be key to humans future survival.