Greetings from Wiltshire

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Omega

Greetings from Wiltshire

Post by Omega »

Hi, everyone,
I am interested in survival since around 1985 when I read about army survival kit
I believe a large disposable income is the key for survival - rich people can afford a nuclear bunker full of provision and entertainment, and rich were the first who bought the best respirators during the covid. So, I am working how to increase my income and have some basic kit to survive.
I believed pandemic was the most likely scenario before we got hit. And we had key things when it striked.
I came to this forum because I never seriously considered nuclear war until now. Now I fear this is the most likely scenario.
So, I have questions how to prepare my family best for this eventuality - I have gas masks, respirators and filters, but thinking about food, protecting house (as I know, the alarm will sound about 5 minutes before the strike, so no chance getting to a shelter and we have to do our best from the place we would be caught up), how to measure radiation, vehicle (because electromagnetic wave will burn the electronics) and how to get out of here if the level of destruction is too high.
Many thanks.
Frnc

Re: Greetings from Wiltshire

Post by Frnc »

Hi, welcome. Agreed finances and pandemic were always top of the list. I don't worry about nuclear war, if it happens, not much you can do.

I think the biggest risk are our politicians and media, 43 years of neoliberalism. NHS being primed for privatisation. Benefit cuts, pensions stolen. Inflation, interest rates, recession. The 3 weeks when the government freaked out the gilt markets was scary. The UK has been hollowed out, meaning loss of middle income jobs. The fact is more people are on lower incomes. This shrinks markets, so the economy shrinks. Austerity does the same.

Another thing is they are privatising whole cities now. I don't like the sound of that. Even the IMF now admits privatisation was a bad idea. We lost our assets.

And there's the climate crisis, far worse than most people realise.

And the war in Ukraine.
jennyjj01

Re: Greetings from Wiltshire

Post by jennyjj01 »

Omega wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:33 am Hi, everyone,
I am interested in survival since around 1985 when I read about army survival kit
I believe a large disposable income is the key for survival - rich people can afford a nuclear bunker full of provision and entertainment, and rich were the first who bought the best respirators during the covid. So, I am working how to increase my income and have some basic kit to survive.
Hi Omega and welcome.
We preppers have a range of ideas what prepping is and your post implies you are towards the 'surviving apocalypse' end of the scale. Nothing wrong with that, so long as you remember that the scale also embraces 'Making sure we don't run out of loo rolls after a strike by shopkeepers'
The typical middle ground prepper, here, recognises and prepares for anything up to severe social unrest for a prolonged period. Having a financial reserve, maybe a wad of £20s in the safe and a very full pantry as well as enough water and batteries as one might need to hunker down for a couple of months, is pretty typical here. Thus we learn and share skills on food storing and creating, living off grid, fighting inflation and being aware of current affairs. All useful skills. If, god help us, we face apocalypse, then we preppers might just buy enough time to regroup and rethink, while our neighbours struggle and starve. Maybe having enough skills to build a new society on a smaller scale.
We've been likened to some sort of potential civil defense corps, where we each bring some skills to the new situation. We have crofters, homesteaders, townies and country dwellers. Whatever your questions, just wade in. and where you have answers or ideas, wade in too.

We're not all about camoflage jackets and hunting knives, but some of us have such thoughts. Equally, some of us know how to make a meal out of what we can forage from the bins behind greggs or from the hedgerow on the way to it.

Stay safe.
JJ
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong