Fire extinguisher ratings explained

Read something good? Written something good? Link it, or copy it here!
Yorkshire Andy

Fire extinguisher ratings explained

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Stumbled across this today.....

Now I've seen plenty of gimmick extinguishers bombarding me on social media probably on some complex search engine algorithm. But this brand actually explains nice and clearly what the special numbers mean on the extinguishers in this example from my kitchen extinguisher
Screenshot_20230318-224135.png
The extinguisher has been tested to 13 A 89b 40f... But what does that mean....... Read on...

Basically bigger the number the bigger the fire it will put out... But how's it's calculated firexo have made it clear as possible which I like not used or had their extinguishers but they are not hiding behind flashy demonstrations like others like the fire extinguishing "sticks" based on space technology who got arsey when I asked the questions based on the lack of preburn and the en3 tests a while back .....

Anyhow..... These seem to be very transparent

https://firexo.com/class-a-fire-testing/
Class A fire rating explained:
When testing an extinguisher against a class A fire, there are 9 different sizes of fire that can be attempted. These different difficulty levels are set up to distinguish what size of fire the extinguisher can handle. These difficulty levels are as follows; 3A, 5A, 8A, 13A, 21A, 27A, 34A, 43A, and 55A. The number of the fire test is times by 100mm, so a 3A fire is 300mm long, whilst a 55A is 5,500 mm long or 5.5 metres. The width of the fire is always 500mm and the height is always 546mm regardless of length.

Within the test, a wooden crib is constructed by stacking wooden beams into a cross-hatch pattern on top of each other – somewhat like Jenga but with 6cm gaps in-between the wood that allows the fire to ignite and spread. The Fire will be lit from underneath using fuel trays with a quantity of heptane inside, it is then lit and allowed to burn for 2 minutes and then the fuel trays are removed. It is then allowed to burn for a further 6 minutes making the burn time 8 minutes in total.

The fire fighter is then sent into the fire with a single extinguisher and allowed to extinguish the fire at their discretion. In order to pass the test, there must be no flames left in the entire structure at the end, and, for a further 3 minutes after no naked flames re-occur on the fire for re-ignition purposes.

You are allowed 3 tests and the extinguisher must pass two of the three to be deemed successful for class A rating.
https://firexo.com/class-b-fire-testing/
What is a Class B fire?
Fire class is a term used to denote the type of fire in relation to the combustion material which has ignited. A Class B fire is described as flammable liquids & gases such as Gasoline, Diesel, Paint, Kerosene, Adhesives etc.
All Firexo Fire Class ratings have been achieved through the EN fire tests.

GB Fire Testing Class B
Class B fire rating explained:
When testing an extinguisher against a class B fire, there are 10 different sizes of fire that can be attempted. These different difficulty levels are set up to distinguish what size of fire the extinguisher can handle. These difficulty levels are as follows; 13B, 21B, 34B, 55B, 70B, 89B, 113B, 144B, 183B, and 233B. The number of the fire test is the total amount of litres in the fuel tray, so a 13B fire is 13 litres, whilst a 233B is 233 litres.

A class B test will consist of varying sizes of trays and the amount liquid containing the tray is split in two parts, two parts heptane to every one-part water. So, for example a fire rating of 21B would have 7 litres of water and 14 litres (7+14=21B) of heptane in a round tray.

The size of the tray increases as the fire rating increases, so a 233B fire will be carried out in a tray that has a diameter of 3 meters, whereas as 13B fire will be 0.72cm.

Once the water and heptane have been added the fire is lit and allowed to burn for 2 minutes, the fire fighter is then sent into the fire with a single extinguisher and allowed to extinguish the fire at their discretion. In order to pass the test, there must be no flames left in the entire structure at the end.

You are allowed 3 tests and the extinguisher must pass two of the three to be deemed successful for class B rating.
https://firexo.com/class-c-fire-testing/
What is a Class C fire?
Fire class is a term used to denote the type of fire in relation to the combustion material which has ignited. A Class C fire is described as a fire involving electrical equipment, machinery, electrical cables, appliances etc.
GB Fire Testing Class C
Class C fire rating explained.
Using the Australia & New Zealand guidelines for the test, the test apparatus consists of using a minimum 33kg propane tank, shut-off valve, 7mm orifice plate, and 2m straight tube with a pressure of no less than 5 bar. The apparatus is connected via a hose and setup on a stand or table in a horizontal position. Once the shut-off valve is open, the pipe-end can be ignited.

The fire fighter is then sent in with a single extinguisher and allowed to extinguish the fire at their discretion. In order to pass the test, there must be no flames left and the gas completely extinguished.

For extinguishers of more than 6KG, the extinguisher must extinguish 2 tests with a single extinguisher. For extinguishers of less that 6KG then a single extinguisher is allowed for each test.

You are allowed 3 tests and the extinguisher must pass two of the three to be deemed successful for Class C rating.

https://firexo.com/class-d-fire-testing/
What is a Class D fire?
Fire class is a term used to denote the type of fire in relation to the combustion material which have ignited, a Class D Fire is described as combustible materials consisting of Magnesium, Sodium, Titanium, Potassium etc.
GB Fire Testing Class D
Class D fire rating explained.
Using a European fire testing centre guidelines for the test, the test apparatus consists of a 50cm by 50cm tray and 10cm in height. Magnesium turnings are loosely and evenly filled in the tray with a hollow cylinder shaped in the turnings. 2 litres of heptane are added to one corner of the tray. The turnings will be ignited in the tray and allowed to burn for 20 minutes.

The fire fighter is then allowed to extinguish the fire at their discretion either in one hit or in short successive bursts.

To be deemed successful there shall be no visible flames after extinguishing and the test is allowed to continue. The fire observed for a further 20 minutes and then the fire is delicately observed in the heart of the fire.

If only a few independent hot spots are visible that do not exceed 10% of the surface and is not propagating the test has passed.
https://firexo.com/class-e-fire-testing/
What is a Class E fire?
Fire class is a term used to denote the type of fire in relation to the combustion material which have ignited, a Class E (Electrical) Fire is described as fires involving electrical equipment, machinery, electrical cables etc.
GB Fire Testing Class E
Class E fire rating explained.
When testing an extinguisher against a class E fire the test is to ensure that when discharged, electricity does not flow up through the extinguisher and cause harm to the user. If an extinguisher achieves a class E rating, it means the product can put out electrical based fires and material if they were to catch on fire.

The test is performed in an electric chamber purposely built for the test for accuracy and safety reasons

Within the test 35kV (35,000 volts) will be pulsated through a large steel plate, whilst an extinguisher is discharged aiming directly at the plate from one meter away. If the current that runs back through the extinguisher is below the required amount to be considered safe, you have passed the test.

The extinguisher must pass two fire tests to be deemed for that class rating.
https://firexo.com/class-f-fire-testing/
What is a Class F fire?
Fire class is a term used to denote the type of fire in relation to the combustion material which have ignited, a Class F Fire is described as combustible materials consisting of cooking oils, fats, frying oils etc.
GB Fire Testing Class F
Class F fire rating explained.
When testing an extinguisher against Class F guidelines, there are 5 different sizes of fire that can be attempted. These different difficulty levels are set up to distinguish what size of fire the extinguisher can handle, these levels are as follows; 3F, 5F, 25F, 40F, and 75F.

The number of the fire test is the total amount of oil used, so a 3F fire is 3 litres, whilst a 75F fire is 75 litres.

When an extinguisher is subjected to a Class F fire test, it must extinguish a tray of vegetable oil that has been heated to self-ignite.

The size of the oil increases as the fire rating increases to allow for the additional oil.

Once the oil has self-ignited then is it is allowed to burn for 2 minutes, the fire fighter is then sent into the fire with a single extinguisher and must extinguish the fire in one continuous action.

In order to pass the test, there must be no flames left in the oil at the end, and the oil is observed for a further 20 minutes in case re-ignition occurs.

You are allowed 3 tests and the extinguisher must pass two of the three to be deemed successful for class F rating.
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Re: Fire extinguisher ratings explained

Post by jansman »

Brilliant!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Thank you! My brain still tends to fuzz over when faced with fire extinguishers, I just have a fire blanket in the kitchen, so this is excellent.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Arzosah wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:34 am Thank you! My brain still tends to fuzz over when faced with fire extinguishers, I just have a fire blanket in the kitchen, so this is excellent.
If I was to buy just one for the house I'd be buying one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Commander-Edge ... B08L3WH3QP

It's not too big or heavy so easy to Cary to where it's needed and covers nearly all risks you'd get in the average home especially in the kitchen ... And as I discovered yesterday it's easy to clean up the residual foam if it goes off accidentally :twisted:. The hose let's you put the extinguisher down if it's too heavy and aim the hose where it's needed

These keep catching my eye and are finally coming down to a reasonable price the class D approval may well be a swinging factor as more and more electronic devices
from mobile phones / laptops / power tools have lithium batteries

https://www.thesafetycentre.co.uk/firex ... tinguisher

Which Cary's a decent class A rating

Fire Rating : 13A 34B/C/D/E 25F

Which is the same as a old basic 9l water jet extinguisher

Not as good on burning petrol (class b) fires to standard foam but good enough

And can deal with upto 25l of cooking oil which is a tad bigger than your average domestic chip pan ;)

steptoe

Post by steptoe »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:42 am
Arzosah wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:34 am Thank you! My brain still tends to fuzz over when faced with fire extinguishers, I just have a fire blanket in the kitchen, so this is excellent.
If I was to buy just one for the house I'd be buying one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Commander-Edge ... B08L3WH3QP

It's not too big or heavy so easy to Cary to where it's needed and covers nearly all risks you'd get in the average home especially in the kitchen ... And as I discovered yesterday it's easy to clean up the residual foam if it goes off accidentally :twisted:. The hose let's you put the extinguisher down if it's too heavy and aim the hose where it's needed

These keep catching my eye and are finally coming down to a reasonable price the class D approval may well be a swinging factor as more and more electronic devices
from mobile phones / laptops / power tools have lithium batteries

https://www.thesafetycentre.co.uk/firex ... tinguisher

Which Cary's a decent class A rating

Fire Rating : 13A 34B/C/D/E 25F

Which is the same as a old basic 9l water jet extinguisher

Not as good on burning petrol (class b) fires to standard foam but good enough

And can deal with upto 25l of cooking oil which is a tad bigger than your average domestic chip pan ;)
Hi Andy first off thabnks for the heads up on these i do have the smaller ones dotted round the houyse for many reasons other than just fire if you know what i mean with our other hobbies .

Out of the 2 you show would you stick with the first or the second not on price but on use as i see the secoind covers everything i am thinking i might renew the landing on and the kitchen one i still keep the old smaller ones for use but again i put 2 in the garage on the wall , i know we are not looking to fight a full on house fire because having trained with the firebridgade at our local hospital back as a teen the chief always said if you are in a house fire and you are thinking of fighting it becuase you have and extingshuier forget that think i am going to use this to fight my way to a window or a door to exit , you can replace possessions you can not replace your life .

Ok mate thanbks again for having such a great knowledge base
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Reason I've gone with the first I'd the class B (petrochemical fire) bit bigger rating due to pratting about with petrol tools on the patio by the back door .. think when the landing one gets a bit older it'll be a firexo 2l to cover charging phones / laptops / tablets / torches / battery tools

steptoe

Post by steptoe »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:08 pm Reason I've gone with the first I'd the class B (petrochemical fire) bit bigger rating due to pratting about with petrol tools on the patio by the back door .. think when the landing one gets a bit older it'll be a firexo 2l to cover charging phones / laptops / tablets / torches / battery tools
Thanks mate i get you on the petrol issue you got to cover that , i am looking at storing all petrol down the garden now in a safe shed as with other stuff that is highly flammable .

I will have a hunbt round and try and get a better price but if not i have your page saved mate again you can never be to safe or prepared for fires