What type of person becomes a prepper

Medical and Healthcare
Vitamin c

What type of person becomes a prepper

Post by Vitamin c »

https://www.hoganassessments.com/blog/8 ... -preppers/

A interesting article ,could this be you ,it should help some on here ,others will be in that Egyptian river.

D nile
Fill er up jacko...
Frnc

Re: What type of person becomes a prepper

Post by Frnc »

"...you should recognize that many people are less cautious and more comfortable taking risks than you are. You tend to proceed with a safety-first attitude and like to be prepared for every possible scenario. Your colleagues may see you as overly worried about bad outcomes and as someone who delays projects unnecessarily. As a result, you may prefer jobs where you can work at your own pace with few deadline pressures."

This describes me accurately, but I actually worked in something quite critical, but with huge time pressure. I worked in testing. We issued test certificates. It was independent, testing for all sorts eg oil companies, aviation. I signed the test certs at one company. I moved to another for promotion, but actually got more work but less responsibility/authority. They expected me to do two people's jobs and unlimited unpaid overtime, so I got fed up and left.

I became a tradesperson. The freedom was good, but being a perfectionist meant I was too slow and didn't make much money. Also I was getting older and it was a bit too demanding. In the end I had to quit as I became unable to do it physically.
Zedsdead

Post by Zedsdead »

I think preppers are either very sensible people or complete lunatics. Two very different types of person who both arrive at the same place for different reasons
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I would say that an element of the analytical is a trait . Looking and thinking about what might or might not happen in the future. The "it'll turn out ok " ( without action) attitude and just bimbling through life seems at odds to a prepper lifestyle. My daughter while not a full on prepper type says she likes to plan ahead , she likes stability and order. I can compare that to her uncle , my brother in law whose life is far more chaotic and unplanned. For example earlier this week his account was down to 18p in credit . He'd made purchases even though he knows his rent is due soon but just answers "it'll be alright , I should be getting paid for a job this week" . Likewise in the past I've worked with people who drew practically all their wages out of the bank on payday , including on one occasion where someone drew the money out and put it all on a horse. Such recklessness horrifies me , I'd hate to be doing that and try as much as possible not to get into that sort of position. Plan ahead all the time...
jansman

Post by jansman »

grenfell wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:41 pm I would say that an element of the analytical is a trait . Looking and thinking about what might or might not happen in the future. The "it'll turn out ok " ( without action) attitude and just bimbling through life seems at odds to a prepper lifestyle. My daughter while not a full on prepper type says she likes to plan ahead , she likes stability and order. I can compare that to her uncle , my brother in law whose life is far more chaotic and unplanned. For example earlier this week his account was down to 18p in credit . He'd made purchases even though he knows his rent is due soon but just answers "it'll be alright , I should be getting paid for a job this week" . Likewise in the past I've worked with people who drew practically all their wages out of the bank on payday , including on one occasion where someone drew the money out and put it all on a horse. Such recklessness horrifies me , I'd hate to be doing that and try as much as possible not to get into that sort of position. Plan ahead all the time...
I totally understand. My own brother lives on the edge like yours. Ironically, he has earned more money than me and ‘borrowed’ that much from me I cannot believe ! The ‘population’ seems very much like that these days. I know folks are hard up- I am there now myself- but that’s where prepping comes in.

What’s a prepper, and what’s their idea? Back in the day for *me* it was in case of economic collapse! 😂 which was because income was erratic sometimes . All the food stashed has been useful. Emergency power and lighting , gardening, self sufficiency,has all helped as everything gets more expensive. However,illness has caused our personal economic collapse. Had it not been for thinking and planning for such a situation- which many ‘non’ Preppers also do too - we’d be knackered right now.There’s a lot of Preppers who think we have to plan only for running away to the woods and looking like Rambo. In reality , the issues that cause problems for anyone, not just preppers, creep up and wreck your life. It happens everyday.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

When folk ask me about anything prepping related, I always say that I am a ‘what if’ person as preppers gives the illusion that I’m off to live in a cave somewhere.

Quite a few folk have asked questions after Covid and the Ukrainian war. Not as in ‘What should I do if Vlad nukes us?’, it’s more ‘what kind of first aid kit should I get for the house?’ type stuff. Anyone else had folk ask questions?
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

Kiwififer wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:27 pm When folk ask me about anything prepping related, I always say that I am a ‘what if’ person as preppers gives the illusion that I’m off to live in a cave somewhere.

Quite a few folk have asked questions after Covid and the Ukrainian war. Not as in ‘What should I do if Vlad nukes us?’, it’s more ‘what kind of first aid kit should I get for the house?’ type stuff. Anyone else had folk ask questions?
No because I don.t tell anyone I am. If anyone comments on what a lot of .. you have. I make some excuse like they were really cheap/reduced so I got loads.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

I tend not to discuss my "stuff" but have become known as the person who is likely to have "X" in her handbag. I could see covid coming at us and tried to talk to my boss about pandemic panning as a previous team had to do that for swine flu but he could not see the need until it was on top of us.
I think anyone who has had a degree of $h1t hit in their life without being bailed out by friends/family/gov heads at least a little in the prepper direction. Then we have those of us who can see the bigger impact but less common risks and decide to plan for them too.
Mad Scientist

Post by Mad Scientist »

We have to be self sufficient because we have almost no nearby family we can turn to. Plan for the future, save up as much as possible, plenty of tools, food and spare water. It’s kept us or bailed us out of trouble time and time again. Knowing there’s a prep for most of our possible problems lets me sleep at night.