Homemade weed killer

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
GillyBee

Re: Homemade weed killer

Post by GillyBee »

Those dehumidifiers are usually calcium carbonate which is a food additive in very small quantities. Wiki has this to say about it's toxicity.
Although non-toxic in small quantities when wet, the strongly hygroscopic properties of the non-hydrated salt present some hazards. Calcium chloride can act as an irritant by desiccating moist skin. Solid calcium chloride dissolves exothermically, and burns can result in the mouth and esophagus if it is ingested. Ingestion of concentrated solutions or solid products may cause gastrointestinal irritation or ulceration.[25]

Consumption of calcium chloride can lead to hypercalcemia.[26]
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Lye was traditionally , ie pre industrial , made by leaching wood ashes. I've got more bags of wood ash than I really need in the garden , well until I get round to finishing the slabs , so wondering if I could just simply use them to produce some kind of lye and use that as a weedkiller. An experiment beckons I think...
Jeffjones297

Post by Jeffjones297 »

What peed me off, you used to be able to buy in Poundland that sodium stuff in tubs, absolutely brilliant on brickweve drives n other areas you needed weed free and cheap.
In garden centres £12-15 for the same tub

But then, the bombs stated going off in Europe and elsewhere and now NO CHANCE.

Bloody stupid roundup etc al, now £20 + and they come straight back.
GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

As we are coming to spring and the weeds will decide to overtake everything...the one thing I use and have for a while is sterilising fluid ..its not home made its bought but 1 litre in home bargains is only 89 p .. big blue bottle with a squirt nozzle on
Got rid of the weeds last year any 'green ' on paving flags bricks and walls ..brought them up brilliantly and the nozzle let's you go in between flags or driveway
I do tend to mooch the baby section in places for this for the garden ...
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Tesco 49p white vinegar mixed with several drops of washing up liquid. :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I've taken notes from this thread, this is great.