EV’s the best post shtf vehicle?

Logistics and Transport
Frnc

Re: EV’s the best post shtf vehicle?

Post by Frnc »

jansman wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:21 pm
Frnc wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:36 am To me, losing weight was part of prepping. So was buying the bike and starting to go on rides, to get fit. I could do with riding more, but I've kept enough fitness to do a 3 hour ride at Easter. Going back three years, I'd just started prepping and I went for a long (for me) walk. I could barely walk by the end (I have osteoarthritis), so I decided to get a bike. My knees don't usually hurt at all on the bike, so it was a good idea. I went for a walk the other day, only an hour, and my knees were bad that evening (struggling to go up stairs).
So, currently, I guess the distance I could cover comfortably, without being completely knackered, is about 2.5-3 miles walking or 25-30 miles cycling. That's total, i.e. half that there and back radius.
I lost 3 stone when I got the bike. Mostly through calorie counting. I knew I wanted to lose weight anyway, but I also thought it would help reduce the backside pain I was getting when cycling. I don't get much of that pain now, so it probably did help. Also I transferred a few kg by using a pannier instead of rucksack.
A general good situation then . :D
Yeah, it's worked out well. I stopped cycling years ago because I got hit by a car a couple of times. I try to avoid busy roads. I had a hairy incident recently - woman opened her car door just as I was passing on a bend. I changed my route to avoid that road, as the traffic is quite fast and there are always cars parked where there are bends.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Frnc wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:42 pm
Frnc wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:36 am To me, losing weight was part of prepping. So was buying the bike and starting to go on rides, to get fit. I could do with riding more, but I've kept enough fitness to do a 3 hour ride at Easter. Going back three years, I'd just started prepping and I went for a long (for me) walk. I could barely walk by the end (I have osteoarthritis), so I decided to get a bike. My knees don't usually hurt at all on the bike, so it was a good idea. I went for a walk the other day, only an hour, and my knees were bad that evening (struggling to go up stairs).
So, currently, I guess the distance I could cover comfortably, without being completely knackered, is about 2.5-3 miles walking or 25-30 miles cycling. That's total, i.e. half that there and back radius.
I lost 3 stone when I got the bike. Mostly through calorie counting. I knew I wanted to lose weight anyway, but I also thought it would help reduce the backside pain I was getting when cycling. I don't get much of that pain now, so it probably did help. Also I transferred a few kg by using a pannier instead of rucksack.
Yeah, it's worked out well. I stopped cycling years ago because I got hit by a car a couple of times. I try to avoid busy roads. I had a hairy incident recently - woman opened her car door just as I was passing on a bend. I changed my route to avoid that road, as the traffic is quite fast and there are always cars parked where there are bends.

ALWAYS leave a doors width when passing parked cars.... I bust a car door back to the wing years ago she wasn't impressed ... The threat of her husband coming to "fill me in" meant I fecked off sharpish .. funny thing a downhill mountain bike with triple clamp forks and downhill Mavic rims didn't have a spot of damage
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:41 pm

ALWAYS leave a doors width when passing parked cars.... I bust a car door back to the wing years ago she wasn't impressed ... The threat of her husband coming to "fill me in" meant I fecked off sharpish .. funny thing a downhill mountain bike with triple clamp forks and downhill Mavic rims didn't have a spot of damage
That was my motorcycle training years ago! Back then a minimum of 6’ gap as you rode past a car. The widest then was a Capri!

Sadly the average driver is a cr*p and totally dopey one. Usually using a phone . GRRRR! I will leave it at that! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:41 pm ALWAYS leave a doors width when passing parked cars.... I bust a car door back to the wing years ago she wasn't impressed ... The threat of her husband coming to "fill me in" meant I fecked off sharpish .. funny thing a downhill mountain bike with triple clamp forks and downhill Mavic rims didn't have a spot of damage
Phew. That sounds like a lucky escape... well, two actually. I guess you hit the door right on the edge to get the best leverage, else you and your bike would have been squished,
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Good point. The trouble is, going past parked cars where the road bends left, leaving 6 foot puts you right in the way of cars speeding round. A few weeks earlier this happened on the same road, and a car blared his horn for several seconds at me. So I'm just gonna avoid this road.

Another one that's a bit dodgy for doors is going down the narrow gap on the inside at lights. At least you're doing this slowly.

One of the times I got hit was overtaking parked cars I think. I don't think she actually hit me, can't remember for sure. I stayed on the bike. She swerved to avoid me and went through a garden wall.

Another time, a car turned left and took me with him. Amazingly I stayed on.

First time I hit a car side on and was knocked unconscious. I'm not sure how that happened, I was a kid, on my dad's bike.

I've had a few close shaves on roundabouts. Not long ago, a car suddenly took an exit right in front of me as I was starting to go past it.

I've had times when I was on my scooter in the outside lane signalling to go into the left lane a car's undertaken me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Frnc wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:03 am

Good point. The trouble is, going past parked cars where the road bends left, leaving 6 foot puts you right in the way of cars speeding round. A few weeks earlier this happened on the same road, and a car blared his horn for several seconds at me. So I'm just gonna avoid this road.

Another one that's a bit dodgy for doors is going down the narrow gap on the inside at lights. At least you're doing this slowly.

One of the times I got hit was overtaking parked cars I think. I don't think she actually hit me, can't remember for sure. I stayed on the bike. She swerved to avoid me and went through a garden wall.

First time I hit a car side on and was knocked unconscious. I'm not sure how that happened, I was a kid, on my dad's bike.

I've had a few close shaves on roundabouts. Not long ago, a car suddenly took an exit right in front of me as I was starting to go past it.

I've had times when I was on my scooter in the outside lane signalling to go into the left lane a car's undertaken me.
Sorry,but you should never ‘edge down’ the left of cars at junctions. Very bad road use and asking for injury. Even a cyclist should ride as though in a car. When properly visible,you have the rights.

Robert Frost.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Here is an interesting article by ,of all people,Rowan Atkinson.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... n-atkinson

Robert Frost.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:19 am Here is an interesting article by ,of all people,Rowan Atkinson.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... n-atkinson
He's apparently a bit of a thinker and activist. He gave a very pointed speech on freedom of speech. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiqDZlAZygU
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jansman wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:29 am
Frnc wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:03 am

Sorry,but you should never ‘edge down’ the left of cars at junctions. Very bad road use and asking for injury. Even a cyclist should ride as though in a car. When properly visible,you have the rights.
You do have to be careful, but I looked this up just now, and it is not illegal. It's called filtering, and you can do it on the left or the right. This practice is actually encouraged by the Advanced Stop Lines (ASLs) – those green boxes with a painted bike outline. I only ever do it if the cars are stationary and not too close to the kerb. I mainly do it at two places, both of which have an ASL. I won't do it if there's a lorry or bus. And I always make sure the car behind me can see me. So I'm always just in front of the car behind me, only to the side of it for a second. I do it one car at a time, in case it starts moving. In fact I normally only do it if I know the light has only just gone on red. I usually do it on the left, but the article says it's usually safer to do it on the driver's side. The problem with that is you could get stuck in the wrong position if the lights change. But if you know they only just went on red you should be fine.
https://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/community ... ht-tactics
https://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/community ... /filtering

Was just watching this video on it and he quotes the highway code saying road users should be on the lookout for cyclists filtering, so it does acknowledge that it's a common practice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJMDzH_VBZo

This guy in in London where there are long queues of stationary or slow moving traffic, and there is no way a cyclist isn't going to take advantage of their ability to keep moving.
jansman

Post by jansman »

And when you smash a wing mirror, or scratch a motor good luck!

Robert Frost.

Me.