The dark nights are coming

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

The dark nights are coming

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

:shock:

Sat out enjoying the warm weather nearly half 9 and it's nearly dark :shock:

So what are your preps for the dark nights coming ??

I've had a quick torch check and as I'm off work I've been boosting the charge from the solar system on the shed

Lanterns have been checked and are ready to dot round the house and 2 extras purchased one pifco jobbie from home bargains (3xaaa) and another weather ready energiser jobbie that takes both AA and D cell batteries

I've added some additional solar garden lights (bigger wall mounted flavour) sat out in the garden now only one dark spot by the shed but that's covered by 2x PIR lights if I move into that area I get well lit up with times being hard the scum will exploit the darker nights

Air bricks got brushed / poked / blown clean the other day in addition to adding some solar fans to the air brick in the living room sub floor that corner is always "damp" the fans will ensure some air movement .. sat here I see one I've missed ... It will be another job...

Had a good look at the roof with the binoculars all looks in good shape bar tye build up of crap in the lead trough I'll get onto the council housing team they can sling a ladder up if they say no I'll do it (involves going into next doors garden they can stand the liability ideally ) :lol:

Gas man serviced the boiler about 2 weeks ago so the boiler is all good...

Kitchen drain is clean as is the downpipe it got jetted by me 2 months back

Additional jobs this week

Ladders out and clean all solar panels be it solar lights or solar chargers they are all getting a bath to maximize efficiency. Saw a video in face stalk about using clear coat paint on yellow cloudy panels one to try....

Alarm system is going to get a full set of replacement batteries whilst the ladders are out after I neglected it the other year I got a spate of false alarms at silly AM due to the cold and thus low battery voltage not having that again...

Smoke alarms again new batteries even though they are claimed 3 year life for the sake of a dozen AA batteries is it worth skimping the batteries that come out will go into toys so no waste as such... Likewise the CO alarms will get fresh to want them to go beep when your dozing off thinking you've got flu.....

Lubricated the shed door lock tonight

The house locks will get similar treatment this week and the seals wiped with silicone oil

Hinges I leave squeaky I can tell at a distance which house door is opening by it's squeak both external doors and internal ...

Sat here now pondering why there are so many mosquitos buzzing round my head. The deet based OFF repellent I got from Corfu seems to be working :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Yorkshire Andy

Re: The dark nights are coming

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Got another 2 sets of the hanging lights this week as additional shtf lighting

Solar powered £8 a set...
Screenshot_20230809-220112.png
Ignore the lads sandpit the boss has shifted it to cover a pond filter then abandoned it :lol:

jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:43 pm :shock:

Not a prep or even prepping related.
I'm looking forward to sitting out and watching Persied meteorites on 12-13 Aug, weather permitting.
https://www.space.com/perseid-meteor-sh ... ugust-2023
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:06 pm

I'm looking forward to sitting out and watching Persied meteorites on 12-13 Aug, weather permitting.

That's one reason I've sat out but it's cloudy... Fingered crossed it clears over the weekend :mrgreen:

Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

Off on holiday in September but when we come back, I will be checking torches, batteries and other winter stuff.

I’ve a pair of red wing boots that have soles on them like tractor treads so I will be giving them a clean and polish. I’m also going to persuade my wife to finally break in a pair of Docs she has but never worn, I know it’s not prepping in terms of candles or generators but having decent winter footwear is pretty important for living in Scotland.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:10 pm

That's one reason I've sat out but it's cloudy... Fingered crossed it clears over the weekend :mrgreen:

Have you not read/listened/watched The Day of the Triffids? :tinfoil
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

Jansman I watched the remake of day of the triffids today :) :)
Came out of pool at 9 20 pm and it was dark.. this time last week it wasn't
As the council shut my local pool the one I go to is a bit away ..about 2 and half mile each way
I walk it taking the short cuts and back routes through some woods down snickers etc
Will be taking precaution from now on stay on the main paths and well lit areas ..not that it'll stop anyone intent on doing harm but its better lit and for safety reasons its the best way
GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

GeeGee wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:43 pm Jansman I watched the remake of day of the triffids today :) :)
Came out of pool at 9 20 pm and it was dark.. this time last week it wasn't
As the council shut my local pool the one I go to is a bit away ..about 2 and half mile each way
I walk it taking the short cuts and back routes through some woods down snickets etc
Will be taking precaution from now on stay on the main paths and well lit areas ..not that it'll stop anyone intent on doing harm but its better lit and for safety reasons its the best way
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

pseudonym wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:23 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:10 pm

Have you not read/listened/watched The Day of the Triffids? :tinfoil
It's ok I've a bottle of farm grade roundup :ugeek:

jansman

Post by jansman »

I am a lot like Yorkshire Andy. I run a cycle of checks on the house etc. depending upon the seasons. All mine is sorted - in particular we are ready for blackouts. They will come in the fullness of time,I am sure.

However,my main prep is drawing up lists of these seasonal’ checks’ for my wife. On those lists are contacts for various tradesmen too. Unfortunately,I will not be able to do a lot of stuff now because of my illness. Indeed the plumber I know should be here today to fix our hot water . He deals with my wife,not me.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.