Dehydrated vegetables - what to cook other than soups or stews?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jansman

Re: Dehydrated vegetables - what to cook other than soups or stews?

Post by jansman »

Dehydrated food won’t need a fridge. That’s why it’s dehydrated!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Omega wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:35 pm
GillyBee wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:51 am Having said that I am just back from a festival where there were a couple of people selling jerky, drywurst, and dehydrated full meals of the curry & bolognaise styles. They told me I could use my dehydrator to create these as long as I get the temperature control right so I may research some tested recipes and give this a try.
I will search internet about it, sounds very useful to have a full meal dehydrated - I currently work on a client site that is too far from cheap cafes, would be. Wry useful to bring own food and warm it up with water. Wonder how long such dehydrated food can survive outside the fridge if sealed in a vacuum sealant
It will last ages. At least a year. Vac sealing or adding a silica gel bag might help a bit. Refrigeration not needed. But. Rehydration time might be an issue.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

This seems yo be alot of effort for something that basically gives taste and s few vitamins, wouldn't dehydrated meat be better bang for the euro.
Fill er up jacko...
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Vitamin c wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:46 am This seems yo be alot of effort for something that basically gives taste and s few vitamins, wouldn't dehydrated meat be better bang for the euro.
The main advantages of dehydrating are space saving in storage, long life storage without refrigerator and the potential to save money with timed purchases of cheap or easily available food. It's really not much more effort than batch cooking.
That said I've never dehydrated a full meal.
Meat is expensive at the best of times.god knows how much dried meat is per kilo
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

This is the website I am looking at. American but I am sure I can adapt for UK tastes
https://www.backpackingchef.com/dehydrating-food.html
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

GillyBee wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:10 pm This is the website I am looking at. American but I am sure I can adapt for UK tastes
https://www.backpackingchef.com/dehydrating-food.html
Great site.thanks. just one observation. They show different ways of dehydrating spuds, but never mention how horrid it is to rehydrate. That always makes me suspicious.

GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

He does have some images of his rehydrated spuds - but I note that they are all showing as mystery lumps or thickening in other stew/sauce based dishes.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

GillyBee wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:33 pm He does have some images of his rehydrated spuds - but I note that they are all showing as mystery lumps or thickening in other stew/sauce based dishes.
I spent months experimenting at dehydrating spuds and at best, I got barely edible badly textured results.

PPrep

Post by PPrep »

I've only just joined the forum, and this is a late response. I dehydrate vegetables as I prefer doing this to using a deep freeze as a prep, which requires power. Mind you, it takes power to dehydrate, and the kitchen needs to be very well ventilated. My dehydrator cost about £85 and is a 4 shelf in a stainless steel enclosure. I've eaten 2 year old dehydrated food stored in jars with a small sachet of silica gel (I didn't eat the silica gel :D ). For me, rehydrating is not a problem, but the texture of the food suffers from dehydrating. Deep freezing is better in this respect.