Fire bricks

Homes and Retreats
Medusa

Fire bricks

Post by Medusa »

We have two wood burning stoves. The bricks around both fireplaces retain some heat. Would it be worth investing in a few fire bricks to put under the stoves which would then retain some additional heat and therefore keep the room slightly warmer for longer?
Growing old disgracefully!
grenfell

Re: Fire bricks

Post by grenfell »

If it's just loose underneath a free standing burner ( looking at mine as I write this) then I don't think there's any real need to go to the expense of fire bricks . In the fire yes but not necessary underneath it. I'd go with something simple like semi engineering bricks or even for that matter concrete pavers would do the job. Some time ago via the re-enactment I do we built a bread oven , think a pizza type oven. It was basically a steel box insulated and covered in render. It was quite heavy but to increase the overall mass we had a number of loose paving bricks that went in before it was fired up. They were in contact with the fire and lasted years cracking eventually but not in any harmful way. I'd say to have a look in local skips or have a word with anyone doing a bit of building to see if they have a few spare bricks you could scrounge. An alternative is to find some large rounded rocks . Put them under the burner when it's on and when going to bed put the rock in a bag and take it with you as long as it's not too hot...
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Old storage heater bricks if you can get any
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Grenfell I was considering buying a couple of the very old fashioned brass bed warmers last year in case of a very cold winter and would fill those with small stones although I have heard that you arent supposed to heat river stones as they can explode. Yorkshire Andy I did think of storage heater bricks and may keep my eyes open for some.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

We deal with this firm at work

https://www.inventair.co.uk/product/fire-bricks/

But guessing postage will be crippling if you want more than a couple
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:48 pm Old storage heater bricks if you can get any
+1 to those.

We used them in an open firepit at a Bushcraft woodland for 5 or so years.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Medusa wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:34 pm Grenfell I was considering buying a couple of the very old fashioned brass bed warmers last year in case of a very cold winter and would fill those with small stones although I have heard that you arent supposed to heat river stones as they can explode. Yorkshire Andy I did think of storage heater bricks and may keep my eyes open for some.
The round rocks or big pebbles , call them what you like ,came from near the shore in north wales. Never had a problem with them exploding or evdn cracking. Thing is though we never heated them up anywhere near hot enough for that. If you're taking them to bed with you they don't need to be at 100+ degress,just hot enough to hold inside a pillow case. Any hotter and there's a potential issue with burning yourself, too hot can cause cotton to smoulder but not linen and I'd be wary if using sheets with artificial fibres.
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Thanks for the links :D
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

Old storage heater bricks are hard to get these days as they have a high metal content and get sold as scrap.
Fill er up jacko...
Peter

Post by Peter »

Fifty years or so ago I remember my uncle heating a firebrick in the oven of a coal fired cast iron range,
wrapping it in flannel, tied with an old pyjama cord, to heat the bed. He worked at the local gas works,
this was in the days of coal gas so fire bricks were no problem.