House fire

Homes and Retreats
Yorkshire Andy

Re: House fire

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Frnc wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:33 am Crikey. So what caused the fire? I gather it was a lampshade that caught fire? What caused it to set on fire now?

I've had a couple of warnings recently. First was I noticed a slight noise sometimes just after switching the kettle on. I looked at the plug and there was a bit of melting. Got a new kettle.

Second was, I was charging some old AAs I found. One started hissing. Chucked all three out (in recycling).

I had to chuck one of those smoke alarms that has a light recently, it kept chirping even with a new battery and thorough vacuuming. It was fairly new, just over a year old. My bedroom one did the same, but that was ok after vaccing.

The led lightbulb decided to cook itself gone are the days when they were a metal and bakalite plug and a glass globe most have a plastic casing not enough left of it to work out what make / brand it is... It's been up a good few years...

This morning I'm up to get a roller tray and new light fitting ..

Put brand new batteries in the smoke alarm after all it did its job so gets rewarded :lol: it was blasting for about 40 minutes so guessing they were fairly depleted not worth skimping for the want of 2 energiser AA cells
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
deckard

Post by deckard »

Blimey, pretty impressive dealing with that.

We've an extinguisher in the kitchen, an abc powder one but I've been intending to grab a co2 one as well. I think I'd have flapped about a bit in that situation tbh.

We've a mix of those plastic bulbs and the more fancy vintage style ones that are more like a traditional glass bulb, I think I may stick to the latter in future.

We've got recessed downlights on the upstairs landing; awful things fitted by the ponses we bought the house off. The reason I mention it is I've dissected a few of the led down lamps when they fail, and a common thing I've seen is the solder melting on the pcbs, with some arcing round it. Internally all the gubbins tend to be encased in sillicon, not sure of the purpose of that.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

deckard wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:05 am Blimey, pretty impressive dealing with that.

We've an extinguisher in the kitchen, an abc powder one but I've been intending to grab a co2 one as well. I think I'd have flapped about a bit in that situation tbh.

We've a mix of those plastic bulbs and the more fancy vintage style ones that are more like a traditional glass bulb, I think I may stick to the latter in future.

We've got recessed downlights on the upstairs landing; awful things fitted by the ponses we bought the house off. The reason I mention it is I've dissected a few of the led down lamps when they fail, and a common thing I've seen is the solder melting on the pcbs, with some arcing round it. Internally all the gubbins tend to be encased in sillicon, not sure of the purpose of that.

Un/fortunately I've dealt with a few fires at work so know the score but it's different when it's your own house :x

Get multiclass foam spray if you can covers most bases or a water mist

Co2 has a very poor fire rating (34b for a 2kg) which is the same class B(petrochemical) rating as a 1kg powder or a litre foam

deckard

Post by deckard »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:12 am

Co2 has a very poor fire rating (34b for a 2kg) which is the same class B(petrochemical) rating as a 1kg powder or a litre foam
Noted, thanks.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

deckard wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:39 am
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:12 am

Noted, thanks.
Ment to say the water mist are safe on electric fires due them using deionised water so none conductive.. last night the RCD tripped the lights so I knew it was isolated but even the foam spray is safe if your 1m back from the electrical component your dealing with

GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Wow. A very real test of preps. without them and your training and cool headedness it could have been so much worse. I am sure we would not have done so well. What did the FB have to say about how you handled things?
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

GillyBee wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:38 pm Wow. A very real test of preps. without them and your training and cool headedness it could have been so much worse. I am sure we would not have done so well. What did the FB have to say about how you handled things?
Think they were disappointed they didn't get to turn the hose on :lol:

They don't advocate people doing a spot of DIY they live on the get out call them and keep out... Although I did get a good nod / wink and a smile whilst he was telling me what to do next time as he has to "do his job" and offer words of advice ;) ;) ...

Kids got lots of praise by all the fire fighters

Issue was the level crossing in the town centre was broken last night and they had to turn round and arrive via an alternative route so it's a good job I did what I did or at the very least there would have been no bedroom left...... As it added about 8 minutes on to their response time but it is what it is

Medusa

Post by Medusa »

You did well to stay so calm. Glad to hear that you are all safe and well!
Growing old disgracefully!
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Medusa wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:04 pm You did well to stay so calm. Glad to hear that you are all safe and well!
Thanks the old heart was pumping a bit but I think that was the sprint up the stairs :lol:

Peter

Post by Peter »

So much for the police saying leave a light on when you go out.