New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
NewprepperBen88

Post by NewprepperBen88 »

Good morning all.

I'm a new prepper here from North Wales looking to connect with other like minded individuals. I'm looking to learn as much as I can.
I've been a hunter since a very young age so have many bushcraft and outdoor skills. I'm very keen on military although a knee injury hindered my progress during training so I didn't manage to make it to my unit (biggest set back of my life)
Now we all know that there's strength in numbers and if after 3 months of no gov help after a disaster we know its not coming. Therefore I'm looking for like minded individuals in the North wales / North West area that would like to connect and form a security detail. Ex Military/ police or people with security experience would be hugely advantageous.

Looking forward to chatting with like minded people and happy I've found this forum. Hope to speak to you all soon
bobble

Re: New member

Post by bobble »

Welcome from Merseyside! Hope you find some practical, like-minded people to meet up with!😃
NewprepperBen88

Thanks for the warm welcome bobble
deckard

Post by deckard »

Hello from the East Midlands! What are your objectives with this security detail?

In my opinion if you want some sort of strength in numbers local clubs and associations are your best bet. In reality I don't think it matters if its a bunch of ex military people or the local church choir, whatever it is it's likey better than "barry" off the internet you've never met. When I was younger I attended a local MMA club; lots of serving police and various others at those sorts of places!
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

NewprepperBen88 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:52 am Good morning all.

I'm a new prepper here from North Wales looking to connect with other like minded individuals. I'm looking to learn as much as I can. ...

Looking forward to chatting with like minded people and happy I've found this forum. Hope to speak to you all soon
Hi and welcome from The Northwest
There's Preppers through to survivalists, with objectives that range from 'Have some spare loo rolls' to 'Be ready to run to the woods'
Many/most of us here tend to the bug in prepper style, though there's no right or wrong way.

Please make your self at home. Don't be shy to post your own ideas, ask questions and even give answers.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
NewprepperBen88

deckard wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:15 pm Hello from the East Midlands! What are your objectives with this security detail?

In my opinion if you want some sort of strength in numbers local clubs and associations are your best bet. In reality I don't think it matters if its a bunch of ex military people or the local church choir, whatever it is it's likey better than "barry" off the internet you've never met. When I was younger I attended a local MMA club; lots of serving police and various others at those sorts of places!

Deckard good morning and thanks for your reply. And I totally agree with your statement, it's doesn't have to be ex mil or ex police but I find with these sorts of people they're already calm and composed under pressure, usually great decision makers and won't require as much training as "barry" off the Internet. My thoughts on it are, that there more calm under pressure and already trained people you have, it will be a lot easier to train/help the people in the group with no experience. Having a well trained unit to start with is going to be a hell of a lot easier going than having 1 or 2 trained people and 30 non trained people for example.

My objectives with the security detail before SHTF is to train once or twice a month, brush up on tactical movements, security patrols, orientation training, basic first aid, weapon handling and discipline. After SHTF my goal for the security detail will be to protect non security members of the community, patrol our perimeters, have staggered observation positions and also go out on patrols.

There are many ways we can conduct this training and I hope that I can find people here that would be interested or could point me in the direction of like minded individuals.
NewprepperBen88

jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 7:03 am
NewprepperBen88 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:52 am Good morning all.

I'm a new prepper here from North Wales looking to connect with other like minded individuals. I'm looking to learn as much as I can. ...

Hi and welcome from The Northwest
There's Preppers through to survivalists, with objectives that range from 'Have some spare loo rolls' to 'Be ready to run to the woods'
Many/most of us here tend to the bug in prepper style, though there's no right or wrong way.

Please make your self at home. Don't be shy to post your own ideas, ask questions and even give answers.
Good morning Jenny. Thanks for the welcome.
Yes i agree, some are preppers and some are survivalists but in my opinion, after SHTF there's two stages. There's the being prepared stage wish most will prepare for 90 days but after that period of time it turns into survival. Its all well and good preparing to bug in/out but if the period of time where no help arrives and your supplies are running low, it's time to switch into full survival mode and having a group of well trained individuals is crucial to that time.

Any input on my thoughts would be hugely appreciated
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

NewprepperBen88 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:34 am Good morning Jenny. Thanks for the welcome.
Yes i agree, some are preppers and some are survivalists but in my opinion, after SHTF there's two stages. There's the being prepared stage wish most will prepare for 90 days but after that period of time it turns into survival. Its all well and good preparing to bug in/out but if the period of time where no help arrives and your supplies are running low, it's time to switch into full survival mode and having a group of well trained individuals is crucial to that time.

Any input on my thoughts would be hugely appreciated
Hi Ben,
To each is own, but Bug-out is a last resort for some of us.
Maybe take a look at the video in this...
https://www.uk-preppers.co.uk/forum/vie ... 67#p204667

We've debated a few times on this forum, when it might be appropriate to be a selfish and secretive bug in family unit and at what point and how, we resurface into a post apocalyse to regenerate a community. It's quite a toughie, because sure as hell, even a prepper with a years rations will need community eventually, and having been a selfish 'hoarder' prepper might poison potential relationships. Put yourself in the shoes of a Ukrainian prepper and wonder how well having a fortnights food workedpilding now, mostly homesteader types. They have different environment to the townies and suburbanites like me.
Having preps sees to me to be mostly about buying time in which to adapt. There are just so many unknowns.
I'll ping you some links later.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Greetings from Manchester. I think in a shtf scenario I would try to liaise with neigbours. I don't have family nearby and don't have a car, so I just have my house and neighbours.

Unlike some on here, I do have an Emergency Grab Bag aka Bug Out Bag. Mine is modular, designed to be carried on my push bike.

I think if there is no help coming after 3 months, we will all die. However I do try to learn what wild plants are edible, and I have some emergency fishing tackle. I have about 2 months drinking water, but I just ordered two more containers. I plan to buy a tarp to collect rainwater.
Mark1

Post by Mark1 »

Hi, I'm from the West Country. Dipping my toes in the prepping stream. I'm a knife maker and a bushcrafter and trying to sort out myself and family for wtshtf . Trying to pick up tips, and pass on any help I may be able to give. Stay safe people. Mark