Prepping when ill or infirm

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Prepping when ill or infirm

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Medusa wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:28 pm A bit of a thought here, we were plagued by the inlaws and their never ending issues with light bulbs going, we eventually replaced the whole lot with LED's but never quite knew whether they were bayonet bulbs, screw ins, small or large fittings. Now we have sold their house and they are well looked after elsewhere we thought we had escaped the never ending task of replacing bulbs and now my Dad has started. Same thing, old style bulbs, different in every room and some of the fittings are siezed. We have replaced the last two with LED's but need to go round the whole house and make a list of the fittings now so that we can buy new for everywhere. It would me much easier if everyone had the same bulb fitting for every light. This one was on the landing, he swapped it with another bulb from the hallway and was up the ladders, not wise at almost 85 and I have given him a bit of a telling off tonight. Standardise your lights folks, it makes it so much easier.
It's a shame life isn't so easy :lol: we've some "fancy" light fitting the boss lady chose it's got 5 g9 capsule lamps i got one spare lamp for it now the shop has stopped selling that brand of lamps so if another lamp goes ill be buying a full set as they never match in terms of colour or output

Worst thing is more and more fittings being none replaceable led "chips" from flood lights to room lights many have no way of replacing the led module having to bin a £80 lamp as it's started flickering or playing up would really grate having to take the full fitting down and skipping it

Example https://www.diy.com/departments/colours ... ?rrec=true
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:33 pmWorst thing is more and more fittings being none replaceable led "chips" from flood lights to room lights many have no way of replacing the led module having to bin a £80 lamp as it's started flickering or playing up would really grate having to take the full fitting down and skipping it

Example https://www.diy.com/departments/colours ... ?rrec=true
I got caught by that - my kitchen overhead light is nice and bright, I only use it once a week or so, but I like it. But the whole thing will have to be binned when it goes. I'm really, really annoyed, environmentally its such a waste.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Back when I was an electrician we used to get called out many times to people claiming thier light bulbs were not lasting long and blaming the electrics, I used to say try different brands or shops, this was getting on for 30 years ago, these days I wonder if the same thing happens to other sparkis? ( I know we've had some LED lamps that don't seem to last ourselves)
My train of thought would still be that for there to be fault with your wiring much more sensitive and expensive appliances would be dying first.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Plymtom wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:10 pm Back when I was an electrician we used to get called out many times to people claiming thier light bulbs were not lasting long and blaming the electrics, I used to say try different brands or shops, this was getting on for 30 years ago, these days I wonder if the same thing happens to other sparkis? ( I know we've had some LED lamps that don't seem to last ourselves)
My train of thought would still be that for there to be fault with your wiring much more sensitive and expensive appliances would be dying first.
Did you slap rough service lamps in :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I've got another sort of infirmity for us to be aware of - a bad back :evil: it really is limiting.

Lots of articles in the Grauniad over the last few months, eg this one https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... w-to-avoid

I do think all my core muscles need to be stronger, no matter what the latest advice is. Interesting they talk about head forward position as being the only truly postural problem that gives rise to problems, because that's what I do :oops: :oops: :oops:
deckard

Post by deckard »

A few years ago I got some led security light bulbs to replace the halogen ones.

Started off good and gradually got duller until they expired after about 2 weeks. All of them the same. Granted they were the cheapest I could find, but I just couldn't get my head round how shit they were; I mean what is the point at all. The halogens have been back in since, I intended to get some more expensive led replacements, but then figured they're not actually on for much time in total, just left them alone.
deckard

Post by deckard »

Arzosah wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:34 pm I've got another sort of infirmity for us to be aware of - a bad back :evil: it really is limiting.

Lots of articles in the Grauniad over the last few months, eg this one https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... w-to-avoid

I do think all my core muscles need to be stronger, no matter what the latest advice is. Interesting they talk about head forward position as being the only truly postural problem that gives rise to problems, because that's what I do :oops: :oops: :oops:
The best advice I got was to regularly move around and change position. Posture is important, but sitting in one position also is quite detrimental, it's when the supporting muscles fall to sleep, the strong lifting muscles take over and then get fatigued.
jansman

Post by jansman »

deckard wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:58 pm
Arzosah wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:34 pm I've got another sort of infirmity for us to be aware of - a bad back :evil: it really is limiting.

The best advice I got was to regularly move around and change position. Posture is important, but sitting in one position also is quite detrimental, it's when the supporting muscles fall to sleep, the strong lifting muscles take over and then get fatigued.
Yes ,all that absolutely.My wife has back and hip troubles,and it makes a difference to life! That last paragraph is useful,thanks.👍
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Thanks deckard - I was literally reading about that in the associated articles :lol: a slight issue might be that I'm kind of lazy :lol:
Jeffjones297

Post by Jeffjones297 »

My mobility is shot to hell, I'm 67 and awaiting a hip replacement but my motivation is my daughter's.
So I'm doing what I can at my youngest daughters house, I've stocked her and her sister a comprehensive set of tools, for the future and she has a shed in her garden she doesn't use where I'm stocking prep stuff for them, that they'll find useful.
I'm Inventorying it as I go, and making it as neat as possible, organised as possible and with instructions on uses.
I'm also assembling a box file, with instruction manuals, re cooking, food, veg growing, water purifying, advanced first aid, etc etc.
I've assembled a comprehensive med kit and a box of the usual odds and ends that people need when things go wrong. Candles, radio, battery bank, batteries, charger clear bleach, sterilising tablets etc etc.
I've also organised a car emergency kit, tow rope, jumper cables, tyre pressure pump, oil, grease etc.
The key is doing it slow and doing it organised and doing it so it's secure from theft, or visible access. I've set myself the task of completion by year end 2024.
I'm also getting myself fit and well, I've lost 11kg and will lose more and I gently exercise and walk everyday.
I spend about £50 a month towards it, it's doable even for an elderly retired, semi disabled man.
If I can do it, you can too.
She is blessed that she lives in the countryside, in her own house in a very secure location plus has an attached garage, so storage is plentiful. I have a similar situation but plan on bolting to hers, in the event of tshf. In the event of tshf, I see her place as a redout the three of us can hold up in.