New baby preps

How are you preparing
mikefranks

New baby preps

Post by mikefranks »

Hi everyone. How have you peppered with a baby? New to me have a 6 month old now and apart from the baby bag nappies etc. how have you prepped in case of emergency with a baby?
Yorkshire Andy

Re: New baby preps

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Pre made formula if not on the boob....

Waterproof play suit

Thermal snow suit

Some form of carrier backpack style
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

I’m not qualified :lol: but my wife instantly said,”Formula,along with a way to boil water,although with boiled water that’s cooled,baby can feed.”
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Start with the obvious (to me at least) If the power went out, could you keep your babe fed, warm and clean?
Ditto, If the water went out...
And if the shops suddenly went barmy (e.g. Covid) would you be struggling for nappies/formula etc?
You may never use old fashioned cloth nappies for their intended purpose but the peace of mind of a spare pack if there are no disposables is priceless. Likewise for a week or two supply of formula or ready to feed milk & food.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:35 pm I’m not qualified :lol: but my wife instantly said,”Formula,along with a way to boil water,although with boiled water that’s cooled,baby can feed.”
And a stash of local water... bottles of water from a random highland spring or some french stream can upset little tummy's

The pre made mixes are great for shtf we got stuck on the biggest traffic jam in 30 years going to Devon a few years back .. was no drama we had about 2 days worth of instant feeds in the car.. plus his powdered formula

Whilst not overly cheap

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/p ... /283467953

But blooming handy... As for warming well mummy could tuck them under her boob.. daddy well it sat inside my trousers for 20 mins or so got it to a acceptable temperature

A jet boil type stove is ideal for bottles off grid

PreppingSu

Post by PreppingSu »

Longer term preps could include buying (new, charity shop, marketplace etc) clothes in future sizes and box them up.
I know it might seem a while away but be prepared to potty train before the age of 3 (when it's often harder to do after then) so you are not reliant on nappies. With that in mind, buy training pants etc.
Weaning: wean on food that you make yourself (if you can) so they develop their taste buds to what you eat and not the ultra processed, over sweet jars and packets in the supermarket.

Agree with getting a carrier, front and back and get used to wearing it. However, also walk with then from the moment they can. Build up their strength and stamina for walking. I work with under 5's and see so many that never walk anywhere and are just pushed around in a buggy and it's no good for the child.

Hope that helps.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

PreppingSu wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:15 pm Longer term preps could include buying (new, charity shop, marketplace etc) clothes in future sizes and box them up.
I know it might seem a while away but be prepared to potty train before the age of 3 (when it's often harder to do after then) so you are not reliant on nappies. With that in mind, buy training pants etc.
Weaning: wean on food that you make yourself (if you can) so they develop their taste buds to what you eat and not the ultra processed, over sweet jars and packets in the supermarket.

Agree with getting a carrier, front and back and get used to wearing it. However, also walk with then from the moment they can. Build up their strength and stamina for walking. I work with under 5's and see so many that never walk anywhere and are just pushed around in a buggy and it's no good for the child.

Hope that helps.

What su says :mrgreen:

Definitely on the once walking my little man (6) can manage 5 miles with ease no more grumbles of my legs are tired :lol: ive had a week off work we've walked to school rain or shine my aunt lives 3 doors by from his school and her porch is always open which is a great changing room ;) (that and her back bedroom looks over his playground only once has aunt yelled at the teacher when little man was being bullied... Well teacher tried to talk my aunt round denying it... Erm well little did teacher know that retired aunt has been early years from college till retirement you can drop teacher jargon in all day long and she understands and can use it back parents evening went well last year as we have concerns the old lady we had with us let rip suddenly we have plans In place :lol:

Apparently they do the "daily mile at school" apparently they walk round the playground twice.. we'll that's more like 200 yards tops :lol:

My sister is about to start weaning little miss turns her nose up at anything but sweet stuff :lol: we got lucky littoe man will eat anything

Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Totally agree with the food - my little great-niece, aged two, mostly has what the adults have - I saw a 20 second video of her chomping on (part of) a full-size cob of sweetcorn last week! She was singing to herself while eating 🎵🌽 The other element of her food is a bulk-cook stew kind of thing, portioned into the freezer, so that there's always something healthy they can call on quickly. For a young baby in process of weaning, obvs, that needs to go through a stick blender.