What Preps are you doing this week? Part 11

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 11

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Frnc wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:12 am Mostly just doing jobs on the house. Got 4 new windows coming this month. Had one repaired. Got pointing done in the loft, side walls are only single brick! I only got it partially done, where there was big gaps. Everything seems good up there apart from a bit of condensation on one of the purlins. Am running a dehumidifier 24/7. Air should get in between the slates. Did a bit of decorating but my eyesight isn't really good enough. Checked the date on my Nido, need too check my dried egg. Need to buy more prep food, eg pasta. Oiled my bike chain, pumped the tyres and did a ride. Had to get a new washing machine as the old one died and it was about 15 years old. Had to get a new stop tap fitted, good job I pulled the old washing machine out a day early. It sprang a leak when I turned it off and took the hose off. Have spent a fortune. Still got two loans, but the interest is low enough not to be worth paying them off (I overpaid a lot a few months ago to reduce the balance and interest). But I can't spend much on prepping at the moment.
If it was the washer stop tap leaking I keep one of these on the pipe behind the washer

https://www.screwfix.com/p/flomasta-bsp ... lsrc=aw.ds

If it leaks when removed it's a quick way bof stopping it till I can get is sorted
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Teensy prep: Bought a load of 15p/kg veg and set about dehydrating /blanching/freezing and even chitting as appropropriate.
A bit of end of year financial shuffling. About to get into the garden while the rain holds off.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Plan on starting to service the car this weekend as and when the weather allows oil and filters not a big job then when it warms up strip and clean the brakes start prepping it for it's mot end of may got all the bits just need a break in the weather

Then the wife's in the summer that's a major service including the cam belt

Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:53 pm
Medusa wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:39 pm We are currently unprepping, well growing wise at least. We are spending quite a lot of time caring for/feeding and visiting our elderly parents and our youngest has just left home so we no longer have enough time or someone to water the crops whilst we recharge our batteries on holiday. We did have one of those irrigation systems but it didnt water the raised beds furthest away from the tap well and we did have some concerns about leaving the tap on for two weeks unmonitored. The rest of our preps are continuing along with de-clutttering the house in a Swedish death cleaning fashion. I was having a sort through the wardrobe in my store room and came across quite a few items which I had forgotten I had bought, muslin for cheesemaking and filtering water from big debris, extra head torches, a couple of small wood camping stoves and cooking systems and a box full of NBC suits which I bought during lockdown. We donated some of the extra sleeping bags and sleeping mats which we no longer use to a local charity as they were just taking up space under one of the beds and I actually need to decide which of our several tents we are willing to part with as we are currently up to six.
How's the mouth doing?
Thanks Andy, better than it was, although I suspect I may need more antibiotics. Was given the option of a root canal or pulling the tooth once the infection has gone. Decided to get it pulled as a previous root canal failed and cant be doing with two lots of charges and wont be going down the DIY with a pair of pliers route either :D
Growing old disgracefully!
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Medusa wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:30 pm

Thanks Andy, better than it was, although I suspect I may need more antibiotics. Was given the option of a root canal or pulling the tooth once the infection has gone. Decided to get it pulled as a previous root canal failed and cant be doing with two lots of charges and wont be going down the DIY with a pair of pliers route either :D
Feel your pain I'm waiting for a surgical extraction myself dentist failed to numb it the other month had one appointment cancelled next one is mid may 😭. The water jet flosser seems to be doing the trick at staving off any infection by keeping the gum around it clean but it's a bit brutal

ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Bought a new (to me) car, now looking to source five steel rims as I don't trust alloys on the local roads..... Not when the potholes and patches make them look like moon maps.

Anyone know where I can get a jerry can spout to fit a real military can?
I have a 10lt copy the spout fits fine, but not the 20lt milsurp.
It seemed to fit just fine but it didn't stay locked on and I ended up wearing a pint or two of petrol.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:14 pm Bought a new (to me) car, now looking to source five steel rims as I don't trust alloys on the local roads..... Not when the potholes and patches make them look like moon maps.

It seemed to fit just fine but it didn't stay locked on and I ended up wearing a pint or two of petrol.

Any good?

https://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/shop ... IzEV4UeKRI

Peter

Post by Peter »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:14 pm Bought a new (to me) car, now looking to source five steel rims as I don't trust alloys on the local roads..... Not when the potholes and patches make them look like moon maps.

Machine Mart sell jerrycans and spouts, their stuff is usually ok.

Our small family saloon is 23 years old and running on original alloys, plenty nocks and nicks and corrosion over time, only problem has been front tyres loosing pressure over a couple of weeks due to tyre side walls flexing when cornering due to corrosion on rims. Solved when had tyres taken off rims mechanic cleaned rims with emery cloth and tyres refitted using bead sealer, no problem now five years on.

Get yourself an extending wheel brace and a good jack, original equipment jacks are barely adequate.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Yorkshire: Thanks..... You used one of theirs before?
Peter wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:31 pm Machine Mart sell jerrycans and spouts, their stuff is usually ok.

Our small family saloon is 23 years old and running on original alloys, plenty nocks and nicks and corrosion over time, only problem has been front tyres loosing pressure over a couple of weeks due to tyre side walls flexing when cornering due to corrosion on rims. Solved when had tyres taken off rims mechanic cleaned rims with emery cloth and tyres refitted using bead sealer, no problem now five years on.

Get yourself an extending wheel brace and a good jack, original equipment jacks are barely adequate.
I think thats where I bought the 10lt and the spout, and like I said those fit together quite well.
The smaller can is easier to use. Last time I rotated the petrol I used it ten litres at a time because it was on the old side, and I did that by refilling the small can from the big one via a funnel..... Thats why I only just found out the spout doesn't stay locked on to the big milsurp can, we should check these things before POU :oops:

My last car was a 2001 S40 and it had five spoke alloys, the new one has these and they just look too spindly for my liking.

I carry a spider wheel brace and use a trolley jack when at home..... I've got an old Leyland scissorjack somewhere that I may put in the car
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

potting up "baby" strawberries and giving them away. I reckon the more food that's being grown by people in general the better. Planning to pot up chives today and sowing seeds, if they they come and I have spare I'll pass the plants on. There's a local community sharing shed where you can leave stuff you don't need and take what you can use. Got lots of pots from there .