Snow.......

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Snow.......

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Following on from the snow of 1947 documentary and the severe winter weather the Nordics are having

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/hu ... 024-01-04/

https://www.thelocal.no/20240103/norway ... -cold-snap

How are we all set should the daily express :lol: get it right this winter for once and we get a barrage of snow "worst in living memory"

Picture the scene your at work the workshop/ office radio becomes awash with red snow warnings it's been very cold for a few days and it's started snowing lightly... With the warning hinting at 3ft of snow in low land areas..

Over to you :mrgreen:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Nurseandy

Re: Snow.......

Post by Nurseandy »

If I (and family) are at home not a problem - woodburner with ample wood. Gas hob with year+ worth of propane, gas cabinet heater with two bottles, stored water (plus could melt snow on hob), ~ months worth of food but worryingly only about a weeks worth of wine 😉
If I'm at work not so good, often working 100+ miles from home, have winter tyres & chains, shovel food etc but it's only a little honda jazz and other cars block the road.
Hopefully if I'm away wife & kids will be at home and they'll easily manage without me (some would say better without me :lol: )
Winterprep

Post by Winterprep »

So three feet of snow! Well I would just bug in at home. Judging by the way we can’t cope with light dustings these days I would suspect the roads would be gridlocked with abandoned vehicles ,doesn’t matter if you have snow tyres and chains a 4x4 etc if the roads are jammed with vehicles your not getting anywhere.

Plenty of logs coal and food in the cupboards.Lots of alternative cooking options.Personally I don’t see it as a hardship that’s why I prep.

The only worry would be some sort of medical emergency that would need outside help.

WP.
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:39 am Following on from the snow of 1947 documentary and the severe winter weather the Nordics are having

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/hu ... 024-01-04/

https://www.thelocal.no/20240103/norway ... -cold-snap

How are we all set should the daily express :lol: get it right this winter for once and we get a barrage of snow "worst in living memory"

Picture the scene your at work the workshop/ office radio becomes awash with red snow warnings it's been very cold for a few days and it's started snowing lightly... With the warning hinting at 3ft of snow in low land areas..

Over to you :mrgreen:
But what would Diana say….
korolev

Post by korolev »

Mrs K has just started doing a bit of care work and needs to drive to some of them. Fortunately we're a flat 200m from an A-road that will be gritted and as we're in the mildest part of the country, we rarely get much (if any).
If we get a proper flumping then we can walk to the shops (and the pub). Not got as much stored food as we used to have but could still last a month or more with what's in the cupboards and freezer.
There's quite a few old people round here so we'll keep an eye on them too.
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

We wouldnt starve as we have enough food to last a while and alternative cooking sources, we have wood so could keep warm and we have the truck to get around in. My first port of call would be to collect my Dad and probably "borrow" a few of his bottles of wine as I dont really keep it in stock. After that I would probably just hunker down.
Growing old disgracefully!
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Well even the normal forcasters are starting to mention the S word some tipping the worst snow in 14 years next week .. time will tell...

Few years ago a dusting of snow took the md's 30 minute commute to 4 hours so should it begin to dump down I'd hope he'd see sense :lol: but time will tell..

My car is fitted with big knobbly tyres with the winter ratings.. I've also got textile chains biggest issues will be other drivers :lol:
Screenshot_20240110-215547.png

Screenshot_20240110-221140.png

If I need it I've got 2 friendly farmers on my commute of I need access to some form of agricultural assistance be it a tow or a lift home ...

Wife's got a motorway commute again decent winter rated tyres and chains

Both cars have a minimum of 24 hours of food plus a 3 day pack of ships biscuits and a sleeping bag + blanket water etc

Kids if schools close are collected by my parents school is visible from their house.... And I can collect

The house is as weatherproof as it can be and well insulated ...
I've contingency plans for the boiler condense pipe should it freeze
Emergency power / cooking / heating/ lighting

Warm winter clothing and boots for all

Salt and snow shovel for the path might have to go grab some more milk and bread though :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Forecast here (Manchester) shows temps dipping to 3° colder than normal. Average for mid Jan is 6/2. Forecast shows 3/-1 in a few days.

Norway and Sweden are getting winds blowing from high pressure over Siberia.

The UK will get some cold air from the north in a few days, so there will probably be some snow in places.
Jeffjones297

Post by Jeffjones297 »

Very lucky where I live, the most moderate of counties of England.
We get what you lot get, just less and easier to deal with.

Live on a flood plain ? Consider your options.

Snow 2-3 months a year, same.

It's not always possible but if you live to 75, after the first 18-25, as an adult you can choose, you are not completely powerless. Trouble is, most of us get in a rut and just carry on.