Rats

Medical and Healthcare
ro2935

Re: Rats

Post by ro2935 »

Tea Tree oil was used in the 2nd world war not only for treating trench foot but also on Rat bites and flea bites.
Lavender aromaterapy oil is used for 2nd degree burns in many hospitals here as it is reputed to be a antiseptic, antibiotic & analgesic with an extra plus that it promotes faster skin healing.
As to the rodent population a good terrior or cats are an asset, my 2 cats earn there treats by killing mice and the odd squirrel.
bulldogeagle

Post by bulldogeagle »

i think the rats will sort out the dead bodies problem post SHTF, once the food supply is gone they will move on to wherever the next food source is. keep your area clear of spilt food, burn all scraps, burn out used tins then bury them.
bhakta

Post by bhakta »

Just a few thoughts:

1. Never suture/stitch a bite. Even a brushed mouth is filthy. Leave the wound open with a dressing to cover. Stitching the bugs in ( you can't clean them out) is bad bad news. Same goes for any wound more than 6 hrs old.
2. Rat bites are rare - rats run away - working on the edge of an asian city slum I saw mostly stray dog and human bites, similar pattern expected if things turn nasty around here.
3. Any bite to the hand needs antibiotics.
4. I would see rats as an opportunity not a problem ( as long as you store food securely) As mentioned rat = protein, all protein must be eaten. Cooking will render it safe. It tastes OK , I ate a larger version in Africa and Guinea pigs in S . America. I recall a saying of those who starved under Pol Pot "Eat anything with four legs except table & chairs". ;)
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

bhakta wrote:Just a few thoughts:

1. Never suture/stitch a bite. Even a brushed mouth is filthy. Leave the wound open with a dressing to cover. Stitching the bugs in ( you can't clean them out) is bad bad news. Same goes for any wound more than 6 hrs old.
2. Rat bites are rare - rats run away - working on the edge of an asian city slum I saw mostly stray dog and human bites, similar pattern expected if things turn nasty around here.
3. Any bite to the hand needs antibiotics.
4. I would see rats as an opportunity not a problem ( as long as you store food securely) As mentioned rat = protein, all protein must be eaten. Cooking will render it safe. It tastes OK , I ate a larger version in Africa and Guinea pigs in S . America. I recall a saying of those who starved under Pol Pot "Eat anything with four legs except table & chairs". ;)
We are seriously gonna need someone to post about how to prep a rat for table and any rat recipes (that aren't puns a la "Blackadder goes Forth!")
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
bhakta

Post by bhakta »

No problem below is a copy and paste for the top Google hit if you enter "Rat Recipes"

I ate cane rat in Ghana. When first served it locals told me it was " Grasscutter , like a rabbit " When I found the the very rat looking tail in my helping of stew I decided against seconds ! Anyway article and recipes follow ................

"Cooking Rats and Mice

Calvin W. Schwabe in his book Unmentionable Cuisine (Charlottesville, Virginia: University of Virginia Press, 1979, available from Amazon Books), says that North Americans should be using many forms of protein which are routinely consumed in other parts of the world. The following exerpts are from a section of the book giving recipes for cooking rats and mice.
"Brown rats and roof rats were eaten openly on a large scale in Paris when the city was under siege during the Franco-Prussian War. Observers likened their taste to both partridges and pork. And, according to the Larousse Gastronomique, rats are still eaten in some parts of France. In fact, this recipe appears in that famous tome.

Grilled Rats Bordeaux Style (Entrecote à la bordelaise)
Alcoholic rats inhabiting wine cellars are skinned and eviscerated, brushed with a thick sauce of olive oil and crushed shallots, and grilled over a fire of broken wine barrels.

What won't the French do next?

In West Africa, however, rats are a major item of diet. the giant rat (Cricetomys), the cane rat (Thryonomys), the common house mouse, and other species of rats and mice are all eaten. According to a United Nations Food and Agricultural Organization report, they now comprise of over 50 percent of the locally produced meat eaten in some parts of Ghana. Between December 1968 and June 1970, 258,206 pounds of cane-rat meat alone were sold in one market in Accra! This is a local recipe that shows the South American influence on West African cuisine.

Stewed Cane Rat
Skin and eviscerate the rat and split it lengthwise. Fry until brown in a mixture of butter and peanut oil. Cover with water, add tomatoes or tomato purée, hot red peppers, and salt. Simmer the rat until tender and serve with rice.

Stuffed Dormice / Ancient Rome
Prepare a stuffing of dormouse meat or pork, pepper, pine nuts, broth, asafoetida, and some garum (substitute anchovy paste.) Stuff the mice and sew them up. Bake them in an oven on a tile.

Roasted Field Mice (Raton de campo asado) / Mexico
Skin and eviscerate field mice. Skewer them and roast over an open fire or coals. These are probably great as hors d'oeuvres with margaritas or "salty dogs."

Farley Mowat also gives this innovative arctic explorer's recipe for souris à la crème.

Mice in Cream (Souris à la crème)
Skin, gut and wash some fat mice without removing their heads. Cover them in a pot with ethyl alcohol and marinate 2 hours. Cut a piece of salt pork or sowbelly into small dice and cook it slowly to extract the fat. Drain the mice, dredge them thoroughly in a mixture of flour, pepper, and salt, and fry slowly in the rendered fat for about 5 minutes. Add a cup of alcohol and 6 to 8 cloves, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Prepare a cream sauce, transfer the sautéed mice to it, and warm them in it for about 10 minutes before serving.

Sounds like a gourmet's survival meal to me.

Collected by Bert Christensen
Toronto, Ontario"
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

Cool. Shame I dunno whether to salivate or puke.
Still, got to learn this stuff.
I suppose gutting and skinning is the same with all small rodent like mammals.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
TomW

Post by TomW »

So whose up for giving it a shot... :s
Rosesandtea

Post by Rosesandtea »

Intriguing but not sure I'm ready for such. And if I'm starving I'm not sure I'll still have things like pine nuts, wine, and peanut oil around!
jansman

Post by jansman »

When I was 17 I got Weils Disease through swimming in the river. It is caused by ingesting rat piss. I almost died. I lost 3stones in a week. And you are going to eat this sh*t?

No way.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

And I worked the infectious diseases ward in another life, and I nursed Weils patients. Absolutely filthy disease. YUkk :evil: