Food dehydrator

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
diamond lil

Re: Food dehydrator

Post by diamond lil »

Hi Jean, nice to hear from you, we missed you ;)
jean405

Post by jean405 »

Thanks Lil, I had computer problems, then password problems. Good to be back. Jean
Drama_Diva

Post by Drama_Diva »

A food dehydrator and vacuum storage bag machine and two of the things on my "to get pretty soon" list.
Erinlouiser

Post by Erinlouiser »

From my recent research I have found you can dehydrate most things by simply putting it in the oven on the lowest setting possible and putting a tea towel in the door to hold it open a crack to let the moisture escape, I have dried beef jerky, herbs and chillis.

I have just invested in a food dehydrator that i found the link for on here somewhere I have used it once and it is currently drying sliced apples as I type but......... it worked alot quicker in the oven!?! the dehydrator seems to heat up too quickly and then turn itself off, it stated in the guide that came with it 8 - 12 hours and I followed the directions exactly for the thickness of the fruit but it took nearly 30 hours!! :roll:
Drama_Diva

Post by Drama_Diva »

I just did bananas in the oven this week. Took about 6 hours.
I'm still planning to get a dehydrator though :D
phantomdryer

Post by phantomdryer »

I know this is an old post but I found a discount code for 10% off the Excalibur dehydrator at Juiceland, just enter EXCAL10 at checkout. Heres the link http://www.juiceland.co.uk/cat--Excalib ... libur.html

Only the 4 tray model is not included in the offer as far as I can tell, just ordered mine and it works.

Hope this helps.
CrazyDane

Post by CrazyDane »

Hello there

If you never did get your dehydrator i'd say: go get it!

I was thinking for a long time to just get a cheaper model but my heart was pretty much locked onto the Excalibur with timer. Thing is, yes you can make due with the little round model that is WAY cheaper BUT, do you really want to swap trays around every few hours to make sure nothing gets burned? I knew i wouldn't so, I went ahead got my 9 tray with timer Excalibur from UK juicers ;) the cheapest as theres no delivery free even to Denmark!

I have had this poor thing running almost nonstop since i got it this spring.

I dry potatoes, in all the ways i would use them when i cook (i just blance them to get the starch out as much as i can) then they wont go dark brown / black'ish on you.
tomatoes, mushrooms, peas, corn, herbs, fruits.... well I would be typing a novel if I should write about how much and what I dehydrate ;)

When you try making Creamed potatoes with dehydrated potatoes, onions, garlic... you'll never make them in any other way.

BUT... Do not take the easy-greasy way out and go buy all potatoes premade! They are true oil-bombs! And leave the skin on all the sliced ones if its fresh new potatoes extra vitamins there.

I better stop this dehydrator commercial as I can see I did make a novel after all hehe
Not scared just prepared
CrazyDane

Post by CrazyDane »

And ofc I forgot to write about: trail-food and ready-to-eat meals :roll:

When I'm making pasta sauce no matter what type I stir in the pasta (I always make sure to double up) and then dehydrate it and vacuum pack it after. Ready meals for a lazy day or on the trail or to keep in your BOB.
Not scared just prepared
Raven

Post by Raven »

I thought a solar oven could also dehydrate food? :tinfoil

I know it depends on the temp, i was curious how you could control a solar oven temp though, just keep checking it maybe? :?:
Keep calm & carry on PREPPING :twisted:
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Raven wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:05 pm I thought a solar oven could also dehydrate food? :tinfoil
That's not reliable in the UK, I'm afraid.
I know it depends on the temp, i was curious how you could control a solar oven temp though, just keep checking it maybe? :?:
The only way I can think of that you could control the temp is to alter the focus of the sunlight being refracted onto the oven? Not sure I've got the technicals right there, but I sort of know what I mean. Again, I think thats probably valid in Australia or somewhere, but not here, not yet!

Of course, this is from my vast experience trekking about the Australian desert on a camel vs a Dacia Sendero in the Lake District :lol: :lol: :lol: in other words, sheer imagination!