Off road Caravan/trailer tent to supplement a 4x4 BOV

Logistics and Transport
Snooks

Off road Caravan/trailer tent to supplement a 4x4 BOV

Post by Snooks »

what are anybodies views, on using an off road caravan/trailer, that is similar to the Aussie conqueror 490 as a BOV. though you'd need a decent 4x4 to pull it? capable of living off grid, lots of storage space and with a forced air system(may be able to fit some sort of filtration system) and sleeps four, and very mobile.
Would it be a good idea, I am looking at building one, though it wouldn't be cost effective as a one off, is anyone else interested.
ForgeCorvus

Re: Off road Caravan/trailer tent to supplement a 4x4 BOV

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Links and pictures would be good

Have though about a Tadpole type but based on one of those tall Landrover trailers
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Snooks

Post by Snooks »

I've thought about this for quite a while, to be able to live off grid, a decent supply of water and a means to resupply, plenty of food storage etc, normal storage, sleep the family, be able to move out in minutes (I want to be able to Keep what I have, even if that means bugging out when someone comes close) , waterproof, capable of going anywhere off road anywhere in the UK. Yep I thought long and hard, couple that with the Disco and a good roof rack for extra fuel etc, I should be able to get anywhere even up into the remote highlands of Scotland. Or even abroad with enough of a warning. Look at the Conquerer 490 on youtube, you may see what I want to be able to do if the SHTF.
unsure

Post by unsure »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x4-EXPEDITIO ... 4ac8345ecc

not quite the ozzie 490 . :lol: but you get the idea
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
metatron

Post by metatron »

I'd imagine it would be cheaper to buy a small box trailer and just fit bigger wheels/tyres and fit it out with a plywood bunk and storage. Although there is a place near me that sells dirt cheap cars and 4x4 (nothing more than 2k most under 1k) that has a few cheap caravans for under £400 that could be modified.
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

unsure wrote:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x4-EXPEDITIO ... 4ac8345ecc

not quite the ozzie 490 . :lol: but you get the idea
Looks quite useful to me, not that I need it though.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Yep, thats basically what I had in mind
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
SuddenStrike

Post by SuddenStrike »

Snooks

Dude I've been designing a similar one for the past 7 years and just about to start putting it together..... after I get approval from the boss (wife). It should come in at about £3500 -£4000 (selling)which includes the following .... and a lot more.

Water storage 250L
powerhouse and gas for stove/oven 12v and 240v with transformer and alternator for charging battery while in the move and 240v to 12v (
Kitchen stove and oven and all air tight storage for dry goods. plates, cups utensils. just about everything you need away from home
Sleeping, beds, chairs, tables and a tent with individual rooms which covers the whole setup (about 5m X 5m)
Heating via wood burner so can be used for cooking and hot water
Refridgeration 12v
additional storage for bedding, food, clothing and secure lock up for tools you might use for protection !!!!
Lighting 12v LED throughout which and be set up in individual areas
Tools (axe, spade etc and chainsaw optional extra but made space for mine)
Waterpump and lights etc all work on 12v which save power for long term stay
PV panels to charge batterys (still working on this. I don't have the technical know how)
WC shelter seperate from main living area ..... don't need to explain this one

The design is not really set up for 4x4 .... yet however is high enough so with a good choice of tires and vehicle will go just about anywhere. main construction material is aluminium so no issues with rust etc. Prototype (full size) due to start this winter ..... I'll let you know how I get on. Hopefully have some photos and get some feedback from you guys

Later
Sudden
Trail_Raider

Post by Trail_Raider »

Snooks wrote:what are anybodies views, on using an off road caravan/trailer, that is similar to the Aussie conqueror 490 as a BOV. though you'd need a decent 4x4 to pull it? capable of living off grid, lots of storage space and with a forced air system(may be able to fit some sort of filtration system) and sleeps four, and very mobile.
Would it be a good idea, I am looking at building one, though it wouldn't be cost effective as a one off, is anyone else interested.

Have you had a look at the Imaigne trailvan's? their are really light, 640 for the small model and 860 kg for the more luxurious one (Bathroom inc), very practical.

https://www.campertraileraustralia.com. ... comfortvan

www.imagine-trailvan.co.za
Keds

Post by Keds »

Not quiet a end of the world caravan , but my little tear drop trailer
http://s91.photobucket.com/user/whitter ... sort=1&o=0