Pressure Cookers

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Vespa

Pressure Cookers

Post by Vespa »

Does any one actually use these, does anybody have an opinion?

I remember my mother using one many years ago, a great big whistling thing that produced massive clouds of steam but I've never had one nor has anyone I've asked.

I've read a little about them and they seem like a no brainer, half the time to cook means half the fuel/electricity (?) and cooking at 121C would just about sterilize anything (?) including some very dodgy water sources.

With the advantages they have they must be perfect for prepping and yet nobody seems to uses them so there must be a disadvantage, or is there?
nickdutch

Re: Pressure Cookers

Post by nickdutch »

I don't have a pressure cooker, I have a small canner that doubles up as a pressure cooker. I occasionally buy large lumps of pork and can it and then eek out the meat over maybe a month, 6 weeks or so.

I don't tend to do much pressure cooking in general, but winter is coming and mung bean and onion based soups are beckoning.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
Auntystatic

Post by Auntystatic »

I use one all the time, its great for cooking broths and stews in 10 mins flat, the newer ones don't put out clouds of steam unless you need to release it fast :)
Chippa Fate

Post by Chippa Fate »

Another good thing about them, is that the build up of steam/pressure leads to an easy salt water still adaption.
Add a fitting to the lid now and if u need to use it under a SHTF, just att. a copper pipe and a cooling point to
have pure water drip out from sea/rain/river water in.
An easy build, and much cheaper than a pre made still and the pressure safety valve gives you a little
peace o mind if you forget about it's on the fire.
My intention is not to simply survive.
soutie

Post by soutie »

we use one all the time tough meat like mutton takes 3-4 hours on the cooker ,------ 45 min in the pressure cooker, great stuff!!!
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

Vespa wrote:Does any one actually use these, does anybody have an opinion?

I remember my mother using one many years ago, a great big whistling thing that produced massive clouds of steam but I've never had one nor has anyone I've asked.

I've read a little about them and they seem like a no brainer, half the time to cook means half the fuel/electricity (?) and cooking at 121C would just about sterilize anything (?) including some very dodgy water sources.

With the advantages they have they must be perfect for prepping and yet nobody seems to uses them so there must be a disadvantage, or is there?
A great invention, I've three of them. Regarding water, at sea level 80c sterilises water, no need to superheat it.
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.