Looking at a bigger bag

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
martynbez

Looking at a bigger bag

Post by martynbez »

My current bag is getting pretty full now so was thinking of getting a little larger. Currently have a 28L pack but was thinking about a 40L one as I don't want something that will slow me down but carry a few more days worth if supplies.

Anyone brought a bag then regretted it due to size?
Quercus-robur

Re: Looking at a bigger bag

Post by Quercus-robur »

I went the other way. I used go camping with a 70ltr backpack and still have stuff latched to it. But over the years I have been learning to travel lighter and now go camping, even in winter, with everything i need in a 33ltr backpack. Same story with my BOB too. I originally had a 120ltr British Army backpack as my BOB but was not very practical due to the weight and me being tempted to fill the empty space with stuff i could do without. So now my 120ltr sits unused as I use a much smaller BOB as well as belt pouches.

What do you have in mind for your new 40ltr?

Qr
Area 9 Coordinator and Resident

'At Spes Infracta'

'I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore'.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

What have you already got?
What extras are you planning ?

The more you carry, the more you need.
Think about it this way, Lets assume you do 20 miles a day (including setting and breaking camp each day) with a 30lb load.
When your load gets heavier, say 45lbs, you will walk slower and rest for longer meaning that your distance covered drops to 15 miles or less a day.
Therefore you'll need to carry more supplies to cover the same distance...... Upping the weight of your pack and slowing you even more.

If your problem is bulk rather then weight then thats a different matter
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
martynbez

Post by martynbez »

Ok my plan is to be mobile for no more then three days for 2 people. So carry the basic food supplies, water etc
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

How much food and water ?
Have you extra clothing?
What sort of shelter are you planning on using?
One or two sets of sleeping gear (blanket/sleeping bag, pad etc)?

Have you a stove, cooking pot, knife, cordage, wet weather gear, etc?

You store it dry ........ Ready to rock ? (ETA, 'Dry' as in water containers empty. 'R2R' is ready to go as is, just pick it up on the way out the door)

At the moment its a bit "How long is a piece of string ?"
We don't want to tell you that your bag is fine as is, if you don't have all the basics in it.

I'm surprised that you've got a Two person 72hour kit in a daysack and are wondering how you managed it (OK, I'll admit that I'd be ripping off any good ideas, but you know what they say about imitation :D )

I tend to assemble kits by getting the gear together and then finding a bag(box/bucket) to fit
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Malthouse

Post by Malthouse »

martynbez wrote:Ok my plan is to be mobile for no more then three days for 2 people. So carry the basic food supplies, water etc
Carrying three days water for two people who are both exerting themselves and resting little is in itself going to total something coming up on 60 litres, I would suggest this is not practical.

What is your bag for? It already sounds like it is too big for Bugging Out.
martynbez

Post by martynbez »

Yes maybe the water would be excessive weight. More have the ability to purify water and carry enough to then find more.

I see the issue of carrying water a problem. Carry the correct amounts for you needs and it's to heavy or carry not enough for your needs.
Malthouse

Post by Malthouse »

Unless you have some camel in you, learn to find water.

There are numerous ways to purify water and even arid climates can yield the good stuff.

Its like fire, you don't walk around with a lit candle and a sack of logs. You find it where you can and make it work for you.
Last edited by Malthouse on Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eastmidsprepper

Post by eastmidsprepper »

Been thinking about this one as well , keep following a natural watercourse to appointed Bol would IMHO would be best , most rivers have some sort of vegetation as well , edible reeds etc...