Live in a 2nd floor flat, need advice/suggestions.

Homes and Retreats
preppermummy

Live in a 2nd floor flat, need advice/suggestions.

Post by preppermummy »

So I live in a fairly densely populated area on the 2nd and topmost floor of a small block of flats. Neither my husband or I drive, although my husband wishes to learn. I have been thinking a lot about how exactly I go about prepping with such limited space and resources. I am personally prepping in the event of a mass pandemic or a situation similar to that of the London riots, just nationwide. If TSHTF I would be fairly unwilling to travel anywhere on foot as I also have a 5 year old, so if anyone has any tips on turning ones home into more of a fortress, camouflaging, fashioning weapons I would be very interested and appreciative.
jansman

Re: Live in a 2nd floor flat, need advice/suggestions.

Post by jansman »

Hello. For a start, don't go overboard. Good basic home security is a sensible place to start. Good locks, door chain-that sort of thing. Store a little water, food and a first aid kit. A battery lamp and torch ( with spare batteries and a battery radio too. Information is vital in a crisis. With that you are set to build up your stocks, but you are still covered in the short term.
On the subject of weapons, please bear in mind that in the UK the Law does not allow you to 'Go Equipped' as it were. The law is clear on that, and therefore the forum rules do not allow such discussion. Aside from that, welcome and enjoy. :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Firstly, OPSEC.... tell no one about your preps, disguise the items as you bring them home... i.e. extra food in a backpack rather than a Tescos bag.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Curious George

Post by Curious George »

Hi Preppermummy, good advice from Jansman however a wind up radio is better than a battery one imo :)

Anything can be used as a weapon, even a rolled up magazine!, so wouldn't worry about that too much!
Better to concentrate on not allowing threats into your block/flat in the first place!

Don't forget to have an escape plan even if your on the 2nd floor :)
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

I think for someone in your situation, a local council preparedness guide would be a good place to start. That lays out the basics of what you should have ready - torch, water, battery radio, etc. I've had a quick google but I can't turn up a relevant link - can anyone else help?

Then when you have that, as I always say, do a needs assessment. What do we have? What do we need? What could give us problems locally i.e. fire at the local chemical plant....and work up your plans from that. Take it step by step and don't imagine you need to spend loads of money on tactical kit, or that we're all going to die tomorrow!
Curious George

Post by Curious George »

http://www.hullcc.gov.uk/portal/page?_p ... ema=PORTAL
Link for Get teady for thr unexpected booklet :)
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

In a flat my biggest worry would be escape from fire a rope ladder that clips over the window would be my first prep
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Hi! I also live in 2nd floor flat. I'm lucky that both bedrooms have double wardrobes along one wall. One side of my sons is currently used for storage of tinned food, kilner jars with my dry food in, water, drinks and boxes with the packet food in. I have a shelf system in the shape of a giant # shape and it does go floor to ceiling. :D

Bottom 2 shelves in my side of the wardrobe has tins full of medications, first aid items and beauty products like boxes of handcreams, moisturisers and basically my girlie stuff. I have a bed with 4 drawers under and there I have jar candles, lighters/matches, sun protection goodies. I have 1drawer empty ready and waiting for goodies! :P

My bathroom has a cupboard , again floor to ceiling where I have my stash of loo rolls, toothpastes, soaps, body wash, deodorants etc etc.

My hall cupboard has my soap powders, conditioners, washing up/dishwashing products, more loo rolls and some extra personal hygiene goodies.

I will get those boxes you can slide under the bed but fill and store these under the kitchen cupboards as required.

You probably have more room than you think you do, have a good clear out and see what you can do. ;) Good luck!!
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:In a flat my biggest worry would be escape from fire a rope ladder that clips over the window would be my first prep
These are awesome, I need to get one for each bedroom at some point.
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
preppermummy

Post by preppermummy »

Wow thanks Decaff, I found your post very insightful. And thanks everyone else for the tips. I made a small start today, ordered some new bedding with the idea of washing the old stuff and keeping it as spares as we will inevitably have another harsh winter. I bought a torch, a battery powered radio and a stack of batteries. I bought a storage container to fill with tins, and my monthly shop has extra dried and tinned goods as well as bottled water, so I feel like I've made progress. I'm ordering a first aid kit on Friday, and have hired someone to collect some old furniture/clutter so I can start utilising my space. It is kinda hard not to get overwhelmed a little, so I'm gonna tackle one room at a time and make lists. I have lots of cupboard space, just need them empty first!