Glow in dark keyring TRITIUM

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
lightningxl

Glow in dark keyring TRITIUM

Post by lightningxl »

TRITIUM.JPG
Just bought one of these very cool for finding things at night no batteries 10 year + life, have attached to key ring which has an AAA torch so if I awake in darkness can locate torch.

THE Nite GlowRing, WHAT ARE THEY?

At the heart of every GlowRing is a Swiss Trigalight™ capable of powering its light output for many years. The outer casing of the GlowRing is clear polycarbonate. The GlowRing requires NO batteries, neither does it need charging from sunlight or any other light source before it will work, its power source is completely self-contained.

HOW DO THEY WORK?

The Trigalight™ is a gas tritium light source or GTLS composed of a laser sealed borosilicate glass tube which has a special phosphor coating on its inner surface and has been filled with a small amount of tritium gas. As the tritium decays the beta particles emitted by its nuclei strike the tube’s phosphor coating causing it to emit visible light. By varying the type and combination of phosphors used it is possible to create tubes which emit different colours.

The excitation of phosphors by electrons (beta particles) used in the GTLS is the same principle used to create the television picture in the old cathode ray tube televisions, only in the case of the GTLS the electrons are provided in the form of beta rays by the disintegration of the tritium nuclei.

Tritium has a half-life of a little over 12 years so, as long as the glass core is not damaged, the Nite GlowRing will emit light for many years.
Last edited by lightningxl on Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
lightningxl

Re: Glow in dark keyring TRITIUM

Post by lightningxl »

£9.89 ebay - seller = mad-nuclear-scientists.
Curious George

Post by Curious George »

Thanks for that, ordering one today :)
lightningxl

Post by lightningxl »

Let us know how you get on with it George. Woke up last night could see the glow clearly across the far side of the room. Could be useful in powercut to find my torch.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

lightningxl wrote:Let us know how you get on with it George. Woke up last night could see the glow clearly across the far side of the room. Could be useful in powercut to find my torch.
I keep a head torch by my bed, it seems to do the trick, this sounds more useful if you drop your keys outside somewhere. Which reminds me, I need to get another emergency back door key cut. ;) What a rock 'n roll life I lead :lol:
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

I bought my one in 2001, its still glowing now, not as bright, but still enough to find my house keys in the dark. :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
lightningxl

Post by lightningxl »

Bought a second Tritium stick this time in funky blue comparing them the green seems to be marginally brighter but the blue does the job feels like am on a spaceship. Gonna be interesting to see how long they last....
Curious George

Post by Curious George »

Hi Lighteningxl, got the green one highly delighted. They will last as long as they say if they are tritium, I have had a couple of tritium acog gunsights and they are brilliant and have not diminished over the 6 yrs I have had them. :D