Hello!

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Arzosah

Hello!

Post by Arzosah »

Another newbie turning up ... I live in the south east of England, I'm a counsellor. After some of the bigger events that we might prep for, counselling isn't going to be terribly important! But it might be even more important after some of the "smaller"/ less world-ending events.

Anyway ... first time I remember prepping anything at all was the Y2K - I suspected the banks might get a glitch in their computer systems for a few days, so I kept a prudent amount of cash on me. And I lived in a bigger house then than I do now, so I did actually store quite a lot of water - I'm very glad nothing bad happened!

Nowadays, I see the main danger as a long, slow decline. I'm also interested in the stock market, and supercycle theory, and its a fact that since the years around Y2K, peaks and troughs in the stock market have been lower. I'm an environmentalist too, and I run a website, so I do a fair bit of research online rummaging about behind the scenes; there are a lot of numbers, and a lot of new feedback loops being discovered, that concern me.

As to preps right now? I made an exception to the "store what you eat and eat what you store" thing for 72 hours food in the house - I'm vegetarian, so nearly all my normal food is dried or fresh. I compromised by buying Sainsbo Basics range, 3 days worth of tins of potatoes, carrots, peas, veg. soup and the baked beans I normally eat. Along with the nuts, seeds, and dried and tinned fruit I have in anyway, I'll do very well, even if I can't cook. Otherwise, lots of dried peas and beans and rice, with ambient nuts and seeds, I'm not too bad at all on that side.

Water is an issue. I have 3 demijohns, but they have to be cleaned and disinfected. I have 2 or 3 watercooler plastic bottles I rescued from somebody's rubbish bin, but they're stuck behind a ton of rubbish in the shed at the moment.

I have a ton of candles and matches, some led lights, a windup torch somewhere (oops - I'm repairing my airing cupboard, and everything is *everywhere* right now). Its in a little bug out bag actually - an online acquaintance had to evacuate from a hurricane in the States last year, and it brought it home to me - even in the UK, we do need to be ready to leave the house within 5 minutes - for "big normal" stuff - gas leak, chemical spill, and even right now, there's flooding. I consider myself to be a fairly quiet person, but I've been trapped in my house by a gunman outside while the police searched for him, and my place of work in London was evacuated by a bomb threat. It really does happen! Enough for now ... off to the forums, now I can post :) Thanks for reading!
smileyt

Re: Hello!

Post by smileyt »

Hi and welcome. It's always interesting to hear what started people off prepping.
scoobie

Post by scoobie »

Hello and welcome to the forum. I'm also in the SE and work in London too :)
By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail - Benjamin Franklin
wolfpup

Post by wolfpup »

Hi from Lancashire. I am intrigued by the 'feedback loops' you mentioned - care to elaborate???
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Hi! Thanks for the welcome :) I'm glad I can post here. I used to work in London weekly, but I stopped last year, the volume of work didn't justify it any more. I was working there during 2001, and after 9/11 I carshared for a long time, instead of going by public transport.

Arzosah, by the way, is the dragon in Katherine Kerr's fantasy series :) - the contractions would be fairly awful, so maybe I need to be AZ or something ...

Just seen the "feedback loop" query - I'm thinking of things like the methane outgassing from the newly exposed gaps between the ice packs/floes in the Antarctic - it seems like potentially, its very serious. And I was just reading yesterday, I think, that the sea level is rising faster along the Eastern Coast of the USA than anywhere else on the planet - its thought that thats because what we call the Gulf Stream is slowing down, so the water isn't flowing outwards from the US as quickly as it used to, but it *is* flowing *towards* the US at its previous speed, so a kind of slope is developing, apparently. If its a permanent feature, then that area of coastline has more problems than the rest of us.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Rosesandtea

Post by Rosesandtea »

Hi and welcome.
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

Hello and welcome. Great intro, keep up the good work!
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Hiya! Thanks for the welcome, peeps :)
Ferricks

Post by Ferricks »

Arzosah wrote:Arzosah, by the way, is the dragon in Katherine Kerr's fantasy series :) - the contractions would be fairly awful, so maybe I need to be AZ or something ...
oooohhh - I never quite forgave her for the Rhodry / Jill break up after 45 volumes.....! but welcome anyway - great to share!