Wartime Farm - Book of the BBC series

Read something good? Written something good? Link it, or copy it here!
triffid

Wartime Farm - Book of the BBC series

Post by triffid »

Wartime Farm: Rediscovering the Skills and Spirit of World War II by Alex Langlands, Peter Ginn and Ruth Goodman—

I don't know if this is a subject of interest to many on this site but I certainly enjoyed the BBC's 'Farm' series on tv. (Victorian Farm / Edwardian Farm / Tales From The Green Valley etc). The 'value' of such a series to us Preppers is of course both farming and general living in an era before the modern comforts we have become so used to. The value is not so much relevant to a 'survival' situation as much as coping with the more primitive conditions that might well result AFTER an event. (be it drought/rationing etc)

I have recently bought a copy of Wartime Farm. And enjoyed it. Not for survival techniques but for installing a sense of perspective.

The book has of course been out for a couple of years....... and is now available at The Works for £2.99. Thats less than the price of a pint!
http://www.theworks.co.uk/p/cultural/wa ... 1845337087
PreppingPingu

Re: Wartime Farm - Book of the BBC series

Post by PreppingPingu »

Brilliant series those and the accompanying books. Quite good at inspiring us to see that other ways of doing things are possible. "...coping with more primitive conditions..." Very true.
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Yep, got all of them and find them amazing - the amount of things we once knew and have forgotten.
junmist

Post by junmist »

Does the book go more into the detail Lil I enjoyed the Edwardian farm and the Victorian Farm but thought the War time farm let the side down a bit but if the book is better I might buy it
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Books have lots of wee details added, but yes I thought they started off well and as the series went on it sort of tailed off a bit. I loved the Tudor and Victorian ones best.
hobo

Post by hobo »

Thanks Triff. I saw Edwardian Farm in The Works the other day. Will head back over today and have a bit more of a look to try and find the wartime one.
QUAID

Post by QUAID »

Definitely a good source of idea inspiring and thought provoking material. I enjoyed them.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I'm currently enjoying the Tudor Farm, I'm assuming there will be/is a book of the series

I never knew just how well designed a Tudor dairy was.

Oh, and Wartime Farm at Christmas?
Beer from spuds, carrot everything for Xmas dinner and chaff as decorations :D
Last edited by ForgeCorvus on Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
QUAID

Post by QUAID »

It just make you realise how much we are dependent and materialistic on todays gadgets. Half the population are asleep and consumed in buying!
Wartime farm was around 70 years ago and the skills are already being lost and forgotten by the majority of the population.