New Skills - what are you learning for 2015

How are you preparing
Waterbaby

Re: New Skills - what are you learning for 2015

Post by Waterbaby »

I'm hoping to keep learning about permaculture and get to learn how to do bicycle repairs.
iceprep

Post by iceprep »

For me 2015 is possibly going to be the most challenging year yet.

I gave up work in Nov 14 as I was forced into no other option by my employer.

So this year I'm learning so many different skills, it's actually quite frightening Mrs Iceprep is now the sole income generator and she was originally stressed as hell About me not working, but I'm putting into practice everything I have been prepping for, and so far we are coping, so her stress levels have dropped off. We are slowly depleting our stock of food, but it will soon be the growing season, which will help.

Lots of untested skills now are in play as are a lot of new skills.

And I'm going through the steps of starting my own business.
MissPrep

Post by MissPrep »

I'm learning how to cure meat - currently started a week ago making my first ever home cured bacon.
Am working up to a ham once I can source salt at a reasonable price.

Later in the year I'm going to have a go at smoking meat & fish too.
Wingfoot

Post by Wingfoot »

I'm part way through assembling all the things needed to start making my own kydex sheaths & pouches etc, I have several different thicknesses of kydex sheets & punch & rivet tools inbound from a USA supplier & im experementing with the press ive made currently.

I've also enroled on a how to cook with indian spices course, its a one day session held reasonably locally to me in March, which may just come in handy if I ever have to try & make the blandest of food more interesting in a post SHTF future or when out camping with basic gear & a stash of spices.

Wf
Si vis pacem, para bellum
ojiu0u4

Post by ojiu0u4 »

Shooting, krav maga self defense, first aid, ham foundation, off road driving, lots of camping and kit test and fell walking, probably archery as well
Area 9
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

ojiu0u4 wrote:Shooting, krav maga self defense, first aid, ham foundation, off road driving, lots of camping and kit test and fell walking, probably archery as well
Crikey a busy year ahead, not to mention expensive :D
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Slazanger

Post by Slazanger »

aldhelm wrote:The wife and I went to an archery club at the beginning of the month, I used to do a bit a thousand years ago when I was young. Much to the wife's amazement she really enjoyed it and has asked to go again, unfortunately she's been a bit unwell the last couple of weeks but we should be going back this week hopefully.
likewise.. me and the missus did our beginner course at the end of last year and both are hooked!
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

iceprep wrote:For me 2015 is possibly going to be the most challenging year yet.

I gave up work in Nov 14 as I was forced into no other option by my employer.

So this year I'm learning so many different skills, it's actually quite frightening Mrs Iceprep is now the sole income generator and she was originally stressed as hell About me not working, but I'm putting into practice everything I have been prepping for, and so far we are coping, so her stress levels have dropped off. We are slowly depleting our stock of food, but it will soon be the growing season, which will help.

Lots of untested skills now are in play as are a lot of new skills.

And I'm going through the steps of starting my own business.

I hope it goes well for you. We had a similar situation a while back, my wife lost her job - while no. 2 was on the way as well. It took some time to adjust, especially for my wife, who had to get used to being at home and being a home-maker (not her natural field of expertise). We have got used to the reduction in income and she has adapted, and now that no.2 is a bit older my wife is looking at getting back into the jobs market again. It was tough initially to get used ot the lower income and the need to really, really economise, but as Greer says "Collapse now - avoid the rush". Good luck!
bob the builder

Post by bob the builder »

As a birthday present from my wife it looks like I am going to learn how to make my own beer as she has gotten me a kit. I have been talking about this for a while so now it begins. I'm also planning on getting my gnas archery instructor qualification back I let it slip due to getting married and moving house just need to redo the assessment I hope.
Once I'm archery qualified again I'm planning getting trained up as an air rifle instructor and build a range at our scout hall.
Not planning for the end of the world just to survive till normality resumes, while sticking to the scout moto be prepared!

Still considering do I want to survive the end of the world or deck chair on the front lawn with a cold beer?