Anyone else use a Shemagh?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
sniper 55

Re: Anyone else use a Shemagh?

Post by sniper 55 »

tc556guy wrote:I own a couple, but they're packed away in the BOB.
I wore a locally purchased lighter alternative when I was overseas. It was simply too hot for the shemagh
The local thing wasn't fire retardant but overall was more comfortable
Blimey it must have been hot where you were.... :lol:
tc556guy

Post by tc556guy »

sniper 55 wrote:
tc556guy wrote:I own a couple, but they're packed away in the BOB.
I wore a locally purchased lighter alternative when I was overseas. It was simply too hot for the shemagh
The local thing wasn't fire retardant but overall was more comfortable
Blimey it must have been hot where you were.... :lol:
My uniforms right down to my underwear were FRACUs; stuff like gloves were required to be fire resistant to be worn. Eye pro in order to be worn had to meet a certain impact rating. The list goes on....the scarves I preferred were locally procured, lighter, more comfortable and yeah they were flammable, but I also didn't look like every other GI with his commercial shemaugh.
*My views discussed on this forum are personal opinion and do not constitute information released in an official capacity*
covertcolin

Post by covertcolin »

yeah they're great aren't they.

stuffing gaps around neck when out wild camping and recently had a go at airsoft, ideal for added protection.

use mine a lot in winter as a scarf/ face shield.

was a campaign recently to suggest asthma sufferers use a scarf or shemagh to cover mouth/nose when out in cold air to prevent asthma attacks by warming the air we breathe in... great
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Meta wrote:I went really thin so can put over head as make shift muzzy net when digging trails etc.

AVON skin so soft dry oil ;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Citizen H

Post by Citizen H »

Ive been wearing these for 30 odd years, Im currently on number 4, so very hard wearing and useful I also have an ushanka complete with badge ( Russian Hat) Hence Citizen "H"

we live in troubled times and wearing either items provoke a response,

I still wear the Black and Green Shemagh, as it was me bros, (Royal Marines) he got me the hat whilst in Afghanistan,

I believe we was helping the Afghans after the Russians had invaded,

He gave it to me whilst on leave, and remarked when I was wearing it all the time, "you look a right Citizen "H"

be safe Citizen "H"
Im just hoping for the best and preparing for the worse.

Citizen "H"
Derv

Post by Derv »

I haves two, one in the bob and one for general use, usually wear it when shooting my bow if its nippy.

The bob one I've had for a few years, I bought it originally to protect my face and teeth at air soft back in the day.
Guinness drinker with a prepping problem.
Area 1, Wiltshire.
mushroom

Post by mushroom »

Dies anyone else have any links to a shemagh they'd recommend? Been looking at them online recently and the quality and price vary considerably!
Cheers
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

munchh wrote:Yes, since the 90's, i now have about 10 in alot of different colours and from various countries, find the bigger ones, they are lovely.

Yep me too , mid 90's bought in Belgium , used to fold it so it covered my chest on cold days on the bike toasty :D

Bad pic lol on the way to France I think

Just checked still got it :D
VonNoelio

Post by VonNoelio »

I work as a countryside ranger and I have had my shemargh for best part of a decade. Bought for less than a tenner of fleabay, and is still going strong now. Have tried other scarves or snoods both wool or modern mixtures but keep going back to the shemargh.

It seems to me to have almost silk like qualities in that no matter what the temperature you're neither hot nor cold. I have worn it on early spring days and also in the middle of winter in the Alps. Happy days.
IMG_1840.jpg