What Preps are you doing this week? Part 4

How are you preparing
sniper 55

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 4

Post by sniper 55 »

Plymtom wrote:
Deeps wrote:Wow, an impressive haul. The bet was an online thing, it was a genuine win/win but I was more likely to win a tenner than the 150. If you're interested I'll PM you the details. The gun locker holds 3 and is overkill, all I need is for it to be locked away.
I grew up in a social club and saw the grip the betting shop had on some folk (same goes for fruit machines) avoiding them is deliberate, same goes for scratch cards cheers anyway though. mine says it's for 8.. but I'm good at tetris :lol:
I had a mate who would bet most of his wages every week, he was hooked on bandits, I'd have to sub him at the beginning of the week then he'd pay me back and blow the rest. His missues used to go bonkers with him, but he just couldn't stop.
whenfires

Post by whenfires »

My other half was away yesterday so I took the opportunity to up my preps quite a bit including an extra 5 days of food, 45L of bottled water plus extra tools, hardware, first aid supplies and gas cannisters.

She won't even know its there! ;)
Twitter: @whenfires
Disclaimer: May contain Amazon affiliate links harmful to wealth
jaffab

Post by jaffab »

Its funny how we do this, isnt it? My OH is also away for the next few days, so I am taking that opportunity to:

1) Pack her BO bag (I have the bag, but all the stuff she needs is in a plastic box)
2) Grab more provisions
3) Get my water storage solution in place - still debating the best solution - Jerry cans (cheap, easy to hide, but wont fill them till things look at risk) V Water based water tank - which means making sure the loft can take the weight, that it wont freeze, and a plumbing setup for filling and re-cycling
You live in a time of decay, when the worth of a man is how much he can pay (Flamboyant, Pet Shop Boys, 2006)
Pete_59

Post by Pete_59 »

As a neewb I've been reading through this forum and a US prepper forum that I've joined, there's lots and lots of information so it's going to take a while for it to sink in.

The immediate effect has been to look at my current state and identify my shortcomings, as a result I've been buying in those items that I need to enable me to sucessfully bug-in; such as twin burner gas stove with fittings to attach it to a 15kg bottle, (which I need to get refilled), rechargable LED light and a wind up LED lamp, I already have a fairly large cache of food and water and a gas bottle heater so once I've got the bottles swapped for full ones I'm good to go.

I intend to sort out one senario at a time so once I've finished my bugging-in preps I'll move on to EDC for myself and the car and then look at putting together a BOB.
jaffab

Post by jaffab »

My suggestion is.. start on paper. Write down what you are prepping for (dont forget your PLAN A prep's - like stays as is and nothing happens to the world, so have your backups for medical, pension, savings etc)..

once you have your scenarios - write down what you need and why. then wait, and then double check - there wil be things missing, and things you have on your list that you decide you dont actually need. Then research, ask advice.

Otherwise you will do what I did and buy things you dont actually need, or the wrong things (things that are too heavy for carrying in the event of a bug out, or things that will run out of power/gas/usages/etc).
You live in a time of decay, when the worth of a man is how much he can pay (Flamboyant, Pet Shop Boys, 2006)
jansman

Post by jansman »

My ( personal) view is that whatever scenario is envisaged, you still need food and water,shelter,fuel,light etc. The basic needs of human survival are really quite simple. I remember reading that if you drop a person in afield,naked with nothing,they will prioritise their needs quickly!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Food, water and general household supplies continue to be purchased and stored. The supply is now referred to as Mum's stash and everyone knows to ask before taking anything. I've invested in a small solar panel for phone charging and invested in some cast iron cookware for the log burner which I have had fun experimenting with. Winter has been cosy due to the amount of firewood for the stoves we had ready chopped and stored but with 2 stoves we go through it so quickly we need to look at additional storage and supplies for next year. The back garden currently resembles one huge wood pile and I was described the other day as a wood hoarder. I was also bought a bread maker for Christmas which I am enjoying. It has now been a full year since I started prepping and although nowhere near as prepared as others I feel more secure knowing that we could survive short power outages, lack of water for a while, and have enough food, household supplies and means to cook for around 1-2 months.
Growing old disgracefully!
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Medusa wrote:I was also bought a bread maker for Christmas which I am enjoying.
I got one of those back with the inheritance stuff, Cast iron stuff/Dehydrator/Bread machine, the only thing which doesn't see regular use is the huge dutch oven and the toaster thingie. Bread machines may not be of much use if everything goes south, but they are great to play with and they have taught me that real bread doesn't come cheap, I've also experimented with Bannock and other things such as flat bread :)
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
jaffab

Post by jaffab »

So with wife away, thats me just finished getting her BOB together. Nice and small and light compared to my monster - I have to make sure she can walk in it a fair distance, so in the v.v.v.unlikely event of a BO, she can do 10+ miles.
I have a 65litre bag, she has a 35litre (of which 40% is taken up by her sleeping bag), so managed to add a few last minute additions...

1) Added 30m of Nylon rope - I already have masses of papracord, but the Nylon rope is very very easy to work with, and is very strong for its width/weight
2) A small packet (x20) of 2.5 inch nails. Can be used for all kinds
3) A tea towel - all kinds of uses
4) A 50cm x 10m of Tin foil folded flat

And she has space for the last minute items I need to buy sitting in my Amazon wish list, waiting for my next purchase in a couple of days time (my work/BO trousers) which are a Gill Net and 2 x Mozzie head nets.
With her set being so dam light, I have put back the travel shovel back into her pack.... but its right at the top so that if she feels it is too heavy, I can ditch it and she is 0.9 of a kilo lighter.
Last edited by jaffab on Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Fitted a modded mosquito net to my hammock, keep the wee biting things off me. :lol:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.