shocker

Re: Wrist Watch - for EDC and for BOB

Post by shocker »

ooo-errr ! Carry-On Prepping ? :lol:
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Haven't had a watch for coming up for 20 years.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Have wanted one of those for a while when funds allow.........

I had not worn a watch for 30 years but got back into them about 5 years ago, started of with a few cheap expeditions from ebay, then tried a traser but found it hard to read in low light, fine in pitch black tho..

Now I EDC a couple of tough solar radio controlled G-Shocks and occasionally a Martian Notifier watch which is quite handy in places where mobile phones are not allowed..........

I tend to use the G-Shock with the cheap Velcro strap I shoehorned onto it most of the time ,, love it....

Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

pseudonym wrote:Haven't had a watch for coming up for 20 years.
If you had a watch you'd know how many years.
:)

Only joking, I feel weird if I don't wear a watch though, I find myself looking at my empty wrist in a confused manner.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
shocker

Post by shocker »

^^^ :D :lol: :lol: :D ^^^
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
jansman

Post by jansman »

tanstaafl wrote:

Have wanted one of those for a while when funds allow.........

I had not worn a watch for 30 years but got back into them about 5 years ago, started of with a few cheap expeditions from ebay, then tried a traser but found it hard to read in low light, fine in pitch black tho..

Now I EDC a couple of tough solar radio controlled G-Shocks and occasionally a Martian Notifier watch which is quite handy in places where mobile phones are not allowed..........

I tend to use the G-Shock with the cheap Velcro strap I shoehorned onto it most of the time ,, love it....

I see that there is a Timex Expedition in there.I have had one now for 6 years,no problems.Last week it went through the washing machine.It still keeps great time!

I like a watch. Knowing the time of day keeps one oriented. I have had a couple of times in my life when the local constabulary *ahem* let me stay in one of their guest rooms! Not knowing the time messes with your head.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Jamesey1981 wrote:
pseudonym wrote:Haven't had a watch for coming up for 20 years.
If you had a watch you'd know how many years.
:)

Only joking, I feel weird if I don't wear a watch though, I find myself looking at my empty wrist in a confused manner.
I used to hate wearing a watch when I was younger but you reach a point in your life when you NEED to be places by a certain time so had to suck it up. No pocket computers back then, :P Its the only 'jewellery' I wear now and like you if for any reason I don't have a watch on I find myself counting freckles on a regular basis and hate it, even with the pocket computer on me. I've only ever had cheap crappy watches as I've been pretty hard on them in the past but not had any real issues and like the Mora knives discussed elsewhere, if I break them no tears, I just go and buy another one.

This is the badger I'm currently rockin'....

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/2535975? ... AiOm8P8HAQ
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

I don't have one now but the old casio watches I've had were nearly indestructible. The first one I must have had for ten years, in the water a lot, run over quite a few times (no not while I was wearing it) then dropped in liquid chemicals several times. I finally replaced it when it got too "tatty" to wear out in public.
The second lasted about the same before the strap broke (think my bergan strap caught it and snapped it) and I lost it in the mountains... it's probably still going.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Back when I used to be a chef I couldn't wear a metal watch in the kitchen, they trap dirt, so when I was working I wore one of the cheap casios, you know the one, basic rectangular plastic digital thing.
At the end of the day I'd run it through the dishwasher!
I'd break them eventually, but it was always the strap that went from the wear, it took the dishwasher without any problem, screens went a bit cloudy but they stayed readable! :)
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Jamesey1981 wrote:Back when I used to be a chef I couldn't wear a metal watch in the kitchen, they trap dirt, so when I was working I wore one of the cheap casios, you know the one, basic rectangular plastic digital thing.
At the end of the day I'd run it through the dishwasher!
I'd break them eventually, but it was always the strap that went from the wear, it took the dishwasher without any problem, screens went a bit cloudy but they stayed readable! :)

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/2533393? ... AtFX8P8HAQ

That one? Strap broke on mine turns out cheaper to buy a brand new one!
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine