What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Took 2 old batteries to the local scrap yard one old 110ah caravan battery and a 75ah car battery 45 pence per kg so £20 as near as makes no odds in my bank account for what I'd usually leave by the front gate for the local scrap men to fight over
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
British Red

Post by British Red »

A nice chunk towards the next battery!
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

British Red wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:40 pm A nice chunk towards the next battery!
Exactly :)

Not done much this week but have added a few more batteries to the pile mainly around the larger battery Lanterns / maglites d cells seem harder to find bar the cheap ones but give good longevity found simply Duracell in B&M working out at £1 each which isn't too bad

GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

I have systematically gone through and recharged all the stash of rechargeable batteries. Ordered some seeds from Seeds of Italy (very slightly more expensive but the packets usually have 3 or 4 times as much seed in them)
And am now trying to figure out where on earth I am going to squeeze anything else into my garden without digging up the lawn and causing a divorce.
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

Been keeping a eye out for the 20p pasta at Aldi as it's often missing from the shelf yesterday managed to get a whole box that's 5kg in total for £4 super cheap lasts for ever .
Fill er up jacko...
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

GillyBee wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:39 am I have systematically gone through and recharged all the stash of rechargeable batteries. Ordered some seeds from Seeds of Italy (very slightly more expensive but the packets usually have 3 or 4 times as much seed in them)
And am now trying to figure out where on earth I am going to squeeze anything else into my garden without digging up the lawn and causing a divorce.
The trick is to 'accidentally' shave a spade's width off the lawn every time you dig over the veg patch..... Spouses wise to this may have had hard landscaping positioned to prevent this. ;)
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Last edited by jennyjj01 on Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
British Red

Post by British Red »

My prep this week was a load of glass in standard greenhouse sizes. Got a few cracked panes in the greenhouses and it's time to pull them out and replace. I'll try and cut down any large panes so they can make smaller panes in the future. For those that don't know most greenhouse glass is standard sizes in imperial (e.g. 2' by 2', 2' by 18" etc). Our glass works just buys it in pre cut but happily cut any special sizes. I picked up a spare piece of stove glass for the range when I was in there - they don't last forever,(like firebricks & fire rope) but are easy enough to replace. We try to keep spares of all this stuff.

When I was a nipper, fixing a pane of house glass was a 10 minute job and everyone could cut glass. I guess that's no longer the case these days. Even proper linseed putty is no longer in every shed!
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

British Red wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:12 pm My prep this week was a load of glass in standard greenhouse sizes. Got a few cracked panes in the greenhouses and it's time to pull them out and replace. I'll try and cut down any large panes so they can make smaller panes in the future. For those that don't know most greenhouse glass is standard sizes in imperial (e.g. 2' by 2', 2' by 18" etc). Our glass works just buys it in pre cut but happily cut any special sizes. I picked up a spare piece of stove glass for the range when I was in there - they don't last forever,(like firebricks & fire rope) but are easy enough to replace. We try to keep spares of all this stuff.

When I was a nipper, fixing a pane of house glass was a 10 minute job and everyone could cut glass. I guess that's no longer the case these days. Even proper linseed putty is no longer in every shed!
Why does what you have posted bring this DIY how to video up on my mind ? :mrgreen:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QZTt8PxEwbo

British Red

Post by British Red »

Got as far as him scraping the putty out. ;)

As anyone who has ever cleaned out old putty knows, it's not generally soft & pliable like that is it :roll: ?

But surely everyone of a certain age remembers that tinkling sound :?