What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

How are you preparing
British Red

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

Post by British Red »

pseudonym wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:52 am
British Red wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:08 pm Interesting bit of kit, look forward to a report!
Chain oil on order :P
I rip through chain oil - get plenty!
Trojanhorse

Post by Trojanhorse »

pseudonym wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:29 pm Another wood delivery, should be the final one for next season.

Out of interest how much do you pay a bag? We paid £70 for Chesnutt and Ash logs for same size bags.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Trojanhorse wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:54 pm Out of interest how much do you pay a bag? We paid £70 for Chesnutt and Ash logs for same size bags.
£75 from here:

https://thewizardoflogs.co.uk/

They drop the bags as close to where you want to stack them.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
British Red

Post by British Red »

Nipped down to B&Q for some slabs and took a wander through Lidl & Tesco.

No sunflower oil OR rapeseed oil in Lidl. Tesco had a small number of 1L bottles of both but no larger containers.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Last edited by jennyjj01 on Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
British Red

Post by British Red »

jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:07 pm Similar in ASDA. Only 1L bottles. Yesterday they had a couple of 3L bottles of cheapo brand oil at £6 per bottle at the ethnic foods shelves.
Gone now
How long till the 1L are sold out I wonder?
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

British Red wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:12 pm
jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:07 pm Similar in ASDA. Only 1L bottles. Yesterday they had a couple of 3L bottles of cheapo brand oil at £6 per bottle at the ethnic foods shelves.
Gone now
How long till the 1L are sold out I wonder?
I wonder what the warehouse back room stock situation is. We never really do get to know. Would probably make panic buying worse if we ever got a glimpse.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
British Red

Post by British Red »

There is almost no backroom stock in supermarket stores now (Just In Time delivery). There will be / have been some in the distribution centres, but if COVID taught us anything it's that there is hardly any "buffer stock". Providing they can resupply that's no problem - but supermarkets abroad are already limiting purchases if oil, flour etc.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

3l bottles are now missing from most of the supermarket online offerings. I suspect that only offering 1l bottles is an informal way of rationing. Next the price will rise for the 1l version to discourage purchase....
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

British Red wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:23 pm There is almost no backroom stock in supermarket stores now (Just In Time delivery). There will be / have been some in the distribution centres, but if COVID taught us anything it's that there is hardly any "buffer stock". Providing they can resupply that's no problem - but supermarkets abroad are already limiting purchases if oil, flour etc.
Absolutely - I used to work for an electrical big box store when I was retraining for my self employment, and one of the issues was to reconcile what the paperwork said about stock with the *actual* stock behind the scenes. Pre covid, I've asked about a popular item in a supermarket (okay ... pesto :mrgreen: ) and the reply has been "there's supposed to be some on the lorry this afternoon".

As to the distribution centres ... if you're going clockwise to the south around the M25 at the Dartford Bridge - Amazon and Sainsbo both have distribution centres there. They're enormous.