What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

How are you preparing
pseudonym

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

Post by pseudonym »

mbbaltic wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:39 pm Also bought two big 5l bottles of vinegar for spraying on the weeds on the drive. Cheaper than glyphosate and a bit more environmentally friendly. Whether it's effective we shall see.
Mix with some fairy liquid so it sticks to the leaves, need more than one application and better applied on a dry day.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Found out that my Dad's old portable record player only draws 20 watts so I'm now listening to Frank Sinatra Vinyl on a 1967 HMV turntable powered by a Jackery E240 power generator.

I'm going out in style when the SHTF :lol: :lol: :lol:

identical to this one:
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... -251334047
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Very classy pseud! :mrgreen:
mbbaltic

Post by mbbaltic »

Thanks for the tip, I’ll try that
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

Ordered 600W solar generator power pack for storage with 100W solar panel. Found a good supplier of C1 grade paraffin, ordered 2 types of paraffin cook stove.
Got plastic sheeting to make another layer of insulation on the windows when the winter comes proper. Also tape and the like to fit it.
Ordered mylar "space blankets"
Taken delivery of 4X reptile house heating pads (A4 sized). One to be used to help with mushroom cultivating and the other three to provide healing for hands and feet.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
jansman

Post by jansman »

nickdutch wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:42 am Ordered 600W solar generator power pack for storage with 100W solar panel. Found a good supplier of C1 grade paraffin, ordered 2 types of paraffin cook stove.
Got plastic sheeting to make another layer of insulation on the windows when the winter comes proper. Also tape and the like to fit it.
Taken delivery of 4X reptile house heating pads (A4 sized). One to be used to help with mushroom cultivating and the other three to provide healing for hands and feet.
Nice to see you back nickdutch. ;)
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

nickdutch wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:42 am Ordered 600W solar generator power pack for storage with 100W solar panel. Found a good supplier of C1 grade paraffin, ordered 2 types of paraffin cook stove.
Will such window insulating only be used in extreme events, or will you be using it anyway.

I'll be very interested in how you grow mushrooms. I love mushrooms 🙂
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

pseudonym wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:24 pm Found out that my Dad's old portable record player only draws 20 watts so I'm now listening to Frank Sinatra Vinyl on a 1967 HMV turntable powered by a Jackery E240 power generator.

I'm going out in style when the SHTF :lol: :lol: :lol:

identical to this one:
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... -251334047
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Sneddle

Post by Sneddle »

I've focused on lighting this week.

The first part is buying a four-way USB plug. I have various torches, lanterns, that I try to charge once every few months. I'm great at plugging one in to charge, forgetting about it, then coming back a week later to a pile of lanterns that I've gathered together that haven't been charged. :roll: Now, I can have one plug with four leads charging four units simultaneously. Even if I forget, I have four fully charged devices, rather than one. :lol:

The second part is putting up emergency bulkhead lights, the sort you see in shops to show the exit. They have internal batteries and light up automatically in the event of a power cut. I've one at the bottom of the stairs, another on the landing and one by an external door. I like the fact they're automatic, so I don't have to scrabble in the dark if the power suddenly goes off. They're rated for three hours, which is more than enough time to remember where I plugged the four lanterns in, and go and find them. They're not pretty, as such, more industrial looking. I got a circular one with a frosted dome, thinking that it'd be more attractive, but the green light that shows the battery is charging lights up the whole of the front of the unit. It looks vaguely like the Mysterons have paid me a visit.

With the looming threat of power cuts, I wanted something that would come on automatically, even if I was walking down the stairs. They're bright enough to light the way, and looking a but like the local tesco is a small price to pay for safety.

I've also got some glow in the dark circular stickers to put on the stairs and light switches, etc, to hopefully show up in the dark. They shouldn't be too obtrusive during the day, and might help a bit at night.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Sneddle wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:05 pm I've focused on lighting this week.

The first part is buying a four-way USB plug. I have various torches, lanterns, that I try to charge once every few months. I'm great at plugging one in to charge, forgetting about it, then coming back a week later to a pile of lanterns that I've gathered together that haven't been charged. :roll: Now, I can have one plug with four leads charging four units simultaneously. Even if I forget, I have four fully charged devices, rather than one. :lol:

The second part is putting up emergency bulkhead lights, the sort you see in shops to show the exit. They have internal batteries and light up automatically in the event of a power cut. I've one at the bottom of the stairs, another on the landing and one by an external door. I like the fact they're automatic, so I don't have to scrabble in the dark if the power suddenly goes off. They're rated for three hours, which is more than enough time to remember where I plugged the four lanterns in, and go and find them. They're not pretty, as such, more industrial looking. I got a circular one with a frosted dome, thinking that it'd be more attractive, but the green light that shows the battery is charging lights up the whole of the front of the unit. It looks vaguely like the Mysterons have paid me a visit.

With the looming threat of power cuts, I wanted something that would come on automatically, even if I was walking down the stairs. They're bright enough to light the way, and looking a but like the local tesco is a small price to pay for safety.

I've also got some glow in the dark circular stickers to put on the stairs and light switches, etc, to hopefully show up in the dark. They shouldn't be too obtrusive during the day, and might help a bit at night.

I've been upgrading at work this week. Great big twin head jobbies but much much smaller and lighter than the older versions with 2 7ah sla batteries and ring driving lamps though :lol:
Modern ones are led .

For domestic these are great and neat..

https://www.safelincs.co.uk/es-3w-non-m ... 8CEALw_wcB
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine