What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

How are you preparing
PreppingSu

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

Post by PreppingSu »

Ordered a click and collectvfrom Aldi yesterday for today (last slot available). Bit of a stock cupboard top up.
My daughter unloaded the bags to put away while I was at work. Got back to find items not put away. Why? Because the cupboards are already full! :lol:
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

So much for an early night... Popped down the shed (as you do)...

Spent an hour in there on Saturday and noticed a drip of water on the bench .. thought I'd dripped something in the bench whilst faffing about servicing the diesel heater and doing manly things hiding from the wife and kids :lol: :lol: ..

Well went down tonight to dig the winter kits out for the cars ..first thing that hit me was the smell of decomp .... Didn't take long to find the source a dead mouse curled up inside the rodenticide baggie it'd had a good last supper ..... Disposed of that before the cat decided to help itself to a easy toxic supper .. she did get a strong word in her ear to up her mousing game or the dreamies won't get added to the next shopping list ......

Absolutely slucing it down drip drip drip :evil: running along the T&G roofing oh joy... Traced it using the damp meter The drip was a good two ft from the source of the leak. There was a nail that's risen into the felt holing it .. swift crack down with the hammer then blowlamp to dry and dug out the emergency bitumen roof repair tape which I got cheap last summer in home bargains ,, think it was Jansman who put that idea in my head with the denso type tape he stores .. not the best repair but it'll do till daylight and dry weather to do a decent job...

The Lidl ski midlayer for £7 proved nice and warm it's about 5°c out and thats all I had on my top half in the pouring rain getting wet to the skin it kept me warm.... I've just slung it in the wash basket and I can now feel the chill as the heating went off about 3 hours ago
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Will mention this tape to the husband for when our shed arrives Andy. Shed we had in the last house, he was forever fixing leaks in it.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Andy, you are *so* impressive, with the *actual* manly things you do, as well as faffing about while hiding in the shed. And yes, that tape sounds good.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

This sort of stuff

https://www.toolstation.com/bostik-flas ... lsrc=aw.ds

The rest of the roof still looks as good as the day I burnt it on so at the weekend if it's dry I'll do a better repair but it stopped the drip ☔

I used torch on mineral cap sheet it's about £60 a roll but it's been trouble free for about 7 years you heat the backing as you roll it on it melts and sticks in place

Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Stonecarver wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:56 pm
Frnc wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:58 am Come to think of it, I think I'll start delaying ordering a bit each time they email/text. I don't need a bigger safety net than what I have. I was glad to have a few weeks buffer when Covid struck of course, pus the fact that I get it all delivered.
I wonder if you and other's have been checking the dates on your medication. Have noticed medicines I ordered months ago have newer date than those I recently recieved
Not really, but I will do next time I get some. I do rotate them a bit. The ones in my bedroom I put the new ones at the bottom, and about twice a year I take the ones out of my bugout bag and swap them with ones from my bedroom.
Ara

Post by Ara »

Just checked mine and the ones I got last week expire a year earlier than the ones I got 2 months ago.(Only one of the too many drugs I take these days). I wondered if it was to do with being in a different town since we moved last month. I will keep an eye on them. The rest were OK.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:31 pm I've chanced running TWO freezers from solar. ...Monitoring closely..
I have a LOUD Mains fail alarm always connected. It went off just once.
Objective is to try to run a third small chest freezer during daylight hours, or during blackouts..
Slight fail. Disaster just about averted.
Trying to run two freezers off the 1500W inverter was a no, but in a subtle way.

When both freezers tried starting up simultaneously, one drew >700W and the other probably similar. With that load, the inverter decided it was only going to manage 120V !!! And the 120V stopped the loud alarm from sounding.
No harm done or food lost.
Irritating but could have been worse.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Andy, thanks for the toolstation linkie to the flashband stuff, stuck it in my shopping file now.

My own preps - nothing so impressive. Two visits to my house done and dusted, and I can start to put things back where they should be, as well as get my everyday carry bag (from keys and phone upwards) into operation again. And in case there *is* a power cut tonight, I cooked early and put the dishwasher on before I sat down to eat :lol: of course, I'm going to be *starving* later on ...
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Arzosah wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:25 pm Andy, thanks for the toolstation linkie to the flashband stuff, stuck it in my shopping file now.

My own preps - nothing so impressive. Two visits to my house done and dusted, and I can start to put things back where they should be, as well as get my everyday carry bag (from keys and phone upwards) into operation again. And in case there *is* a power cut tonight, I cooked early and put the dishwasher on before I sat down to eat :lol: of course, I'm going to be *starving* later on ...

Add chocolate to your stock's just in case ;)