What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

How are you preparing
Arzosah

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

Post by Arzosah »

Cat person here 😺 loving the cat talk. They're definitely a good prep, Lil is right, though mine wouldn't have been - biggest thing they ever got was a moth :roll:
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Arzosah wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:40 pm Cat person here 😺 loving the cat talk. They're definitely a good prep, Lil is right, though mine wouldn't have been - biggest thing they ever got was a moth :roll:
And I bet it was so happy with itself :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:38 pm
Frnc wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:38 am There's a stray round here and next door was feeding it, but they just gave their notice, so I might have to adopt it myself. It comes in my garden a lot but I've not seen it for a few days. I haven't had crap on my lawn for a long time, but there was some near my newly planted bushes (which died in the drought* and have been replaced). If it comes back I might put an outdoor litter tray out.

*maybe the cat droppings had something to do with it as well.
If you adopt it and feed it in the garden it won't poo where it eats... Likewise it'll usually chase any other cats out we've got 2 and very very rare do we find deposits
I already noticed no poo on the lawn since he started hanging around here often. I didn't know he was a stray. The poo near the bushes could be quite old, a few months, might predate him being here. I don't really have much choice about adopting him, or at least feeding him once a day and putting water out.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Just had a gas engineer to do a safety check. I though the lodger's fire was already cut off, but it wasn't. Is now.
He said you've got your pre-heat on but it's wasting gas, do you want it off? Is now.
Also said do you want your water turned down to 45 to save even more £? I think you can guess my answer. Apparently uses a lot less gas than having it at 52 which is what it was set to.
Also showed me rough settings for different seasons. The heating is set to 69 which is the "efficiency" setting it was on before. I didn't realise it shows you the temperature on the screen when you turn it, so I can fine tune it in milder or colder weather. I can't control all the TRVs as two are in lodgers rooms and I know one just turns his to eleven, even though he doesn't feel the cold.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Frnc wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:21 pm Just had a gas engineer to do a safety check. I though the lodger's fire was already cut off, but it wasn't. Is now.
He said you've got your pre-heat on but it's wasting gas, do you want it off? Is now.
Also said do you want your water turned down to 45 to save even more £? I think you can guess my answer. Apparently uses a lot less gas than having it at 52 which is what it was set to.
Also showed me rough settings for different seasons. The heating is set to 69 which is the "efficiency" setting it was on before. I didn't realise it shows you the temperature on the screen when you turn it, so I can fine tune it in milder or colder weather. I can't control all the TRVs as two are in lodgers rooms and I know one just turns his to eleven, even though he doesn't feel the cold.
I've pushed my luck as far as I dare on the temperatures :) for now.
If your lodger is turning the rad on too high, consider turning the valve down on the other side. They usually have a blanking cover, so you'd need pliers, and be a bit sneaky :)
There are two temperatures on my boiler: Tap water temp and 'flow return' temp, I think the latter is 60 for my optimum, unless any plumbers know better. Turn it too low and the 'condenser' might not do it's magic?
One definite thing I've found. The lounge holds it's temperature well into the night, where one of us usually stays up. So, I've progressively dialed back the final run time from 10pm to 7:30pm. And nobody noticed. However, there was a grumble that we never used to use hot water bottles every night. Hmmm. Extra kettle boiling, vs extra boiler running.!
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jennyjj01 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:30 pm [, there was a grumble that we never used to use hot water bottles every night. Hmmm. Extra kettle boiling, vs extra boiler running.!

You need a furry purry hot water bottle
Screenshot_20221129-155633.png
And a cammo fluffy onsie. ;)

This is every night he soon kicks the duvet off the thin blanket keeps his toes warm and he sleeps all night like that
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Ara

Post by Ara »

Our furry hot water bottle, name of Horace, likes to sleep where my feet would go if I didn't curl up in bed. From time to time when it's really cold, I have been known to slowly slide my feet underneath him to warm them up again. He doesn't shriek like Mr A does if I try and warm them up on him. I haven't seen any other cats round our new house and Horace is upset that we won't let him out on his own. As we used to live in the middle of nowhere he was used to doing his own thing outside. Here there is a fairly busy road running through the village and most people seem to have dogs so I don't think he would be safe.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jennyjj01 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:30 pm
Frnc wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:21 pm Just had a gas engineer to do a safety check. I though the lodger's fire was already cut off, but it wasn't. Is now.
I've pushed my luck as far as I dare on the temperatures :) for now.
If your lodger is turning the rad on too high, consider turning the valve down on the other side. They usually have a blanking cover, so you'd need pliers, and be a bit sneaky :)
There are two temperatures on my boiler: Tap water temp and 'flow return' temp, I think the latter is 60 for my optimum, unless any plumbers know better. Turn it too low and the 'condenser' might not do it's magic?
One definite thing I've found. The lounge holds it's temperature well into the night, where one of us usually stays up. So, I've progressively dialed back the final run time from 10pm to 7:30pm. And nobody noticed. However, there was a grumble that we never used to use hot water bottles every night. Hmmm. Extra kettle boiling, vs extra boiler running.!
Well, the one that's not the tap temp is obviously the heating. My heating one is set to 69, but 60 is probably ok at the moment. It might be a bit weak when it gets to freezing. Autumn and spring it can go to 50.
Yes house does retain heat for a while. I've not set mine to go off too early in case a lodger stays up and is freezing.

Had to over-ride my stat DOWN half a degree from mid morning to mid pm. It's back up now (17.5) and my room's 19.4, ideal. If it gets to 20 my wallet starts crying.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Bought some kitten food :D
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:22 pm Bought some kitten food :D
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: GOOD PREP!