What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

How are you preparing
diamond lil

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

Post by diamond lil »

I am shocked that somewhere like Stockbridge would have that, KiwiFifer In a past life, that was once an area where I worked as a mothers help/cleaner/housekeeper - and people there had real money..
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

diamond lil wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:02 pm I am shocked that somewhere like Stockbridge would have that, KiwiFifer In a past life, that was once an area where I worked as a mothers help/cleaner/housekeeper - and people there had real money..
They very much still do but equally, there’s a lot of social housing and hidden poverty there as well. I’ve never understood it, sitting in a million pound house and eating beans, it must be a status thing.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

A non- standard use for vaseline for us in previous years was to coat the tops of the wall where unwanted cats liked to enter the balcony of our old place to **** in the kids sandpit. They really hated getting it on their paws but it is not poisonous to them and didn't wash off the wall when it rained.

And it does make an excellent overnight hand and nail cream if you can stand the feel of it.

We keep all old birthday candles as firelighters . They work very well.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

It's that time of the year the AffFoam extinguisher has come out the car and been replaced with the dry powder it's not as good as foam but it doesn't freeze just serviced the powder extinguisher watched the service agent at work do it many many times so it's good to go

Started collecting bits to make the wife a bigger winter car kit as her commute has gone from 2 miles to about 30...

And got the kids some winter boots got little miss some high leg brown combat boots second hand unworn and little man some snow boots
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

GillyBee wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:16 pm A non- standard use for vaseline for us in previous years was to coat the tops of the wall where unwanted cats liked to enter the balcony of our old place to **** in the kids sandpit. They really hated getting it on their paws but it is not poisonous to them and didn't wash off the wall when it rained.

And it does make an excellent overnight hand and nail cream if you can stand the feel of it.

We keep all old birthday candles as firelighters . They work very well.
Oh gilly you must know my friend in the states she put it on the pole of her bird feeder got mad as the squirrels use to chew them up , she moved the pole as they use to jump from the tree on to feeder but thne they went up the pole then the vaseline omg the video lol you never seen a squirrel start to run up a pole then just find it's self sat on the floor lol it then looked hmmmm ok what the hell and ran up again whoosh off he went lol but the funny bit was watching him up the tree trying to lick the vaseline off and it's face lmao omg we laughed so hard
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Continuing the build the wife a car kit mission..

Mini gas stove ordered, small gas cartridge bought ,

Thermal work gloves/ hat

Proper survival blizzard bag ordered (equivalent to a 8 tog duvet) but the size of a VHS tape

Need a metal / enamel cup,

Got a softie copy jacket which I got the other year but it's a bit snug on me :oops:

Need a few brew bits and food (sachet soup or similar) already got 3 day life raft biscuits

It's only a small car

Already got the snow chains in and car breakdown kit

Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

I’ve just supported service users to go to that warm space I was posting about earlier, the soup is fantastic and I’ve been thrashed at dominoes!

I would suggest if there’s a place like that near you, let an older neighbour know about it. Prepping is individual and family oriented but sometimes, looking after the neighbours is equally important especially this winter time.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Kiwififer wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:49 pm I’ve just supported service users to go to that warm space I was posting about earlier, the soup is fantastic and I’ve been thrashed at dominoes!

I would suggest if there’s a place like that near you, let an older neighbour know about it. Prepping is individual and family oriented but sometimes, looking after the neighbours is equally important especially this winter time.
The boss lady volunteers at the church hall free breakfast morning once a month you get all walks of life come in but all are great full and on donations it turns a small profit

Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:57 pm Continuing the build the wife a car kit mission..

Mini gas stove ordered, small gas cartridge bought ,

Thermal work gloves/ hat

Proper survival blizzard bag ordered (equivalent to a 8 tog duvet) but the size of a VHS tape

Need a metal / enamel cup,

Got a softie copy jacket which I got the other year but it's a bit snug on me :oops:

Need a few brew bits and food (sachet soup or similar) already got 3 day life raft biscuits

It's only a small car

Already got the snow chains in and car breakdown kit
Why metal cup? Are you planning on using it as a pot on the stove? I would go with an aluminium pot and an unbreakable plastic mug. The hold the heat better and aren't hot to touch.
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

I have not really been around many people since the events of last weekend but needed to pick a few things up from the supermarket, bad idea. I got angry at the world and ended up very sad. Arrived home and made a much needed cup of tea and then set to processing some wood. Husband was busy with the chainsaw, I got the chop saw out and then decided to see if I could still manage the axe and spent a good hour splitting wood with that. Not only did we replenish all the wood we have used but I came inside feeling a whole lot better too. Wood chopping therapy should be a thing. I may think differently tomorrow when I wake up siff and sore though :D
Growing old disgracefully!