hello from Cornwall

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
shed the state

hello from Cornwall

Post by shed the state »

Hi All
I am based down in Cornwall near the coast and I am getting back into the prepper mindset after a long break.
I am sort of off grid. We live in a field with no drinkable water or electricity. At the moment we bring in water but I want to build a rainwater catchment system and filter.
For electricity we have a couple of solar panels supplimented with a small (1Kw) generator for battery charging. We do have a stream that flows quite fast in the winter so we are looking into building a micro hydro system.
We don't own the land we are on so we are limited as to what we can do in the way of growing food etc. Plus we care for an elderly relative who has Alzheimer's and at some point we are going to have to move in with her to give her 24h care.
The things I am doing at the moment are learning as much as possible, getting healthy, getting fit, storing a small amount of food as and when but not very organised etc.
cheers
STS
Frnc

Re: hello from Cornwall

Post by Frnc »

Interesting, welcome to the forum
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Welcome to the forum, shed. Sorry to hear about your relative - will you still be in Cornwall in that case?

The preps you mention are interesting - and not usually a priority, but they really should be, for all of us. Knowledge and fitness; is there anything in particular you're researching?
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Hi and welcome from Cheshire.
Always great to get insights from off-gridders, so please share your knowledge. There's some expertise on this forum surrounding alternative energy and homestead gardening. If you get hydro to work, you'll be our goto guy :)

Just a thought about growing..... Consider buckets and tubs. Amazing how much you can grow in even 2 gallon buckets or plastic storage boxes or growing bags. You can move them to track the sun and if you up-sticks you can harvest and empty them in a jiffy.

Good luck with the relatives.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
shed the state

Post by shed the state »

Arzosah wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:08 pm Welcome to the forum, shed. Sorry to hear about your relative - will you still be in Cornwall in that case?

The preps you mention are interesting - and not usually a priority, but they really should be, for all of us. Knowledge and fitness; is there anything in particular you're researching?
Getting healthy is a priority. Being dependant on meds is not a good place to be. Another thing I have done is get rid of any addictions like alcohol and coffee. As part of my health quest I am virtually meat only diet. I eat very few fruit or veg and this can make prepping difficult. I do quite a lot of fasting and this gives you a lot of confidence knowing you can easily go days without food. I live by the coast so I am trying to learn as much as possible about fishing and coastal foraging, I am going to go on a spear fishing course in the new year.
I am also getting back into sailing and I am planning to bug out by boat if the need ever arrises.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Bugging out by boat sounds cool. Obviously you could catch as much fish as you want. I guess you'd need some way of desalinating water if you were at sea or in an estuary. Also a lot of seaweed is edible and nutritious. How would you cook fish on a boat, long term? Or would you do that on the beach?