What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

How are you preparing
ForgeCorvus

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Frnc wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:09 am
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:18 am
GillyBee wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:17 am

I had the hotel opposite in my plan for my old job. Do you have enough cash in the kit to pay for a night if the card system is down? I kept mine in a modified key fob on my keys so that I always had it on me but looked invisible to others.
Good call thanks she can put some in I'm not allowed money I spend it on torches :twisted:

Oh and snow boots little man is made up with his new ones .... Mummy's not happy that they have fold out steel crampons :lol: "he can't wear those to school!"

Screenshot_20221205-081735.png

Nothing worse than kids with cold feet
Fold out crampons! Wow, never seen anything like that. I have used hill walking crampons, that you strap on your boots.
I have encountered smooth ice near the shops where I live, so I expect the crampons will be useful.
I'd recommend some kind of snow/ice grips for everybody, its not so much the fresh snow its the freeze/thaw slush stuff thats dangerous...... I think Age Concern did a campaign on them a few years back.
Prices range from a fiver on up
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

This week's preps, the xmas meat order. Plus some extra to fill the freezer. Also looking at these carousel/corner baskets for low down kitchen cupboards. All my cupboards are either 9ft off the floor (and I'm 5ft) - or else I have to crawl around to reach in.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

diamond lil wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:06 pm This week's preps, the xmas meat order. Plus some extra to fill the freezer. Also looking at these carousel/corner baskets for low down kitchen cupboards. All my cupboards are either 9ft off the floor (and I'm 5ft) - or else I have to crawl around to reach in.
Day 60 of the apocalypse and lil goes hunting for the last case of baked beans
_102386812_wildwookey4.jpg

Something like this?

https://www.diy.com/departments/kessebo ... 925_BQ.prd
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Oh wow that's a lot cheaper than the Hafele stuff I was looking at :twisted:
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Good grief, that corner cabinet looks good! Ahem, exactly the same as the one I had fitted from Wickes - and for that, you have to put a "1" in front of the price :(

The only thing I'm wondering about is how much weight they can take - mine are guaranteed to 20kg, but I haven't put anything like that on them.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:43 pm
Frnc wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:09 am
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:18 am

Good call thanks she can put some in I'm not allowed money I spend it on torches :twisted:

Oh and snow boots little man is made up with his new ones .... Mummy's not happy that they have fold out steel crampons :lol: "he can't wear those to school!"

Screenshot_20221205-081735.png

Nothing worse than kids with cold feet
Fold out crampons! Wow, never seen anything like that. I have used hill walking crampons, that you strap on your boots.
I have encountered smooth ice near the shops where I live, so I expect the crampons will be useful.
I'd recommend some kind of snow/ice grips for everybody, its not so much the fresh snow its the freeze/thaw slush stuff thats dangerous...... I think Age Concern did a campaign on them a few years back.
Prices range from a fiver on up
Good idea. I didn't know you could get cheap ones for urban use, that work with trainers. I've ordered a pair off ebay. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380381005604
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I've got some rudd shoe chains they work well

https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbveh ... 60K%7B%7BQ
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Yaktrax are another brand. My missus has some for running - you can literally run on ice!
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Just had a spark round, light was flickering, and I had heard crackling from the switch. Took the swicth off and wiggled it around, said it had gone on one side. Fitted a new one live. 5 minutes, done. This is a spare room now, so after tomorrow I can give it a coat of paint and use it for prep stuff (and my exercise bike).

Got the boiler company round tomorrow to try to figure out why the condensate pump keeps running for hours.

Looking at hand warmers on Amazon, as my fingers feel the cold a bit even indoors. I do have gloves though, so not sure if I want to fork out. Am skint from all the jobs on the house in the last few months.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

We are using a couple of hand warmer ideas that may work if you are skint.
You can make microwaveable hand warmers from a cup of rice or wheat either sewn or tied into a piece of cotton/old clothes or a handkerchief. I have a couple of these for my desk. They only need 30 seconds in the microwave to get quite hot but as they are small they only last half an hour or so.
Or if you have a hoodie with kangaroo hand pockets you can tuck a small hot water bottle in there or a bigger wheat/rice bag and then tuck your hands inside to warm up - This also warms up your core so we like it a lot

Obviously the rice bags only work if you have a microwave. The hot water bottle will fill from a kettle or hot tap .