What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

How are you preparing
Frnc

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

Post by Frnc »

itsybitsy wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:11 am
Frnc wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:22 pm
itsybitsy wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:04 pm No but I could get one - it's not hugely warm but there is a radiator on the outside of the wall in the front room which is usually on.
You can put metal foil sheets behind radiators to stop the heat going into the wall.
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008GYPT6C/
They are mainly for external walls, for obvious reasons. Or party walls.
Ah, I'll take a look at those, thanks.
There is a 3 sheet option that's cheaper. I have them on all my radiators.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

I'll take a look, thanks.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

You can put metal foil sheets behind radiators to stop the heat going into the wall.
When we decorate, we paste a length of bacofoil to the wall behind the radiator. It sticks fine just with wallpaper paste. Seems to help and costs nothing.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:43 am
When we decorate, we paste a length of bacofoil to the wall behind the radiator. It sticks fine just with wallpaper paste. Seems to help and costs nothing.
That's fine if you take the rad off, sounds tricky without. The stuff I used is thicker so fairly easy to slide down, and at the top it rests on the screws via a plastic sleeve.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Got refund on the rubbish emergency lights. Paid twice as much for these but they are GREAT!
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07Q9JFH1Y

There is a high/low switch, I left them on high

Fitted one at end of landing near the top of the stairs. It easily defects movement from the other end. This is particularly useful as there is no light switch at the other end. Lodger's been doing the creeping about in the dark ninja thing. Not very safe. Also the bathroom is at that end. Of course you can walk down the landing, turn the light on, go back and turn the other off.

Fitted the other at the bottom of the stairs. I'm not sure I'll need the third, might keep it as a spare. I can get from the bottom to the top by it's light, then the other one kicks in when I get near the top.

Unlike the nasty ones, these come on and off the back ok. Easy the change/charge the batteries.

I think I'll leave them on high, but maybe I'll change one or both to low.

They are stuck to the wall with 4 small but very sticky pads.

The others wouldn't detect my bedroom light. Useless. These detect even quite low light, but the one at the bottom of the stairs doesn't detect the landing light. No biggie, hopefully it'll stay off during daylight. It's only on for about 20 seconds anyway.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Been round to the jungle (allotment) started attacking the bramble mountain that sprung up this summer made steady progress. Need another half a day with the chainsaw next time then a big bonfire to get properly rid of it .

Need to grab some sbk stump killer for the bigger ones I CBA trying to dig them out between the gooseberry bushes that just seems painful, one of the main shoots was 1 ¹/2" diameter the leatherman oht just about allowed me to hack through it all entwined around and throughout the fruit trees

Chickens given a full clean out disinfectant rinse and replace the coup bedding etc

Cars washed. Screenwash jet on the wife's car repaired , sister needed a new bulb putting in so that's done
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Not much here. Some fitness & strength training in readiness for the zombies. Planted a couple of rhubarb crowns, looked out some wood for a couple more raised beds, tinkered with my motorbike, cut some firewood.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Nurseandy wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:24 pm Not much here. Some fitness & strength training in readiness for the zombies. Planted a couple of rhubarb crowns, looked out some wood for a couple more raised beds, tinkered with my motorbike, cut some firewood.
Hey..... rhubarb expert..... should I be doing anything with the rhubarb I found in my jungle? scrape off the dead bits? split the crown? weed around it? It's not been tended to for at least a year, possibly two.Image
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:38 pm
Nurseandy wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:24 pm Not much here. Some fitness & strength training in readiness for the zombies. Planted a couple of rhubarb crowns, looked out some wood for a couple more raised beds, tinkered with my motorbike, cut some firewood.
Hey..... rhubarb expert..... should I be doing anything with the rhubarb I found in my jungle? scrape off the dead bits? split the crown? weed around it? It's not been tended to for at least a year, possibly two.Image
No expert but always willing to have an opinion ;) Now it's coming up I wouldn't do anything other than apply a couple of inches of mulch around the stems but take care not to bury the crowns. In the autumn cut back any leaves/stalks etc.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Leave it and chuck some sh1t around it just don't burry the crown

Split / move in the autumn

https://www.rhs.org.uk/vegetables/rhubarb/grow-your-own

I like the RHS site no messing clear info :)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine