Mushroom growing

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
DustyDog

Mushroom growing

Post by DustyDog »

Has anyone grown their own mushrooms, how did you do it or can anyone recommend a certain method or kit, trying to grow as much food this year as I can, did well with French beans, potatoes and peas last year, love mushrooms 🍄.

Thanks. 😀
Up in the wet South Lakeland
jennyjj01

Re: Mushroom growing

Post by jennyjj01 »

DustyDog wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:24 pm Has anyone grown their own mushrooms, how did you do it or can anyone recommend a certain method or kit, trying to grow as much food this year as I can, did well with French beans, potatoes and peas last year, love mushrooms 🍄.

Thanks. 😀
Got me wondering...... It seems to be a tricky endeavour, but might be doable.
https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/g ... mushrooms/

It won't be cheap
https://www.suttons.co.uk/vegetable-fru ... mushrooms/
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

Cheers for reply, did try it from a kit years ago, plenty of mycelium but no mushes, have seen some vids on YouTube but was wondering if anyone had tried it. Will keep on lookin.
XRS001

Post by XRS001 »

Yes. I have grown Shiitake on oak and willow logs very successfully.

The mushroom is delicious, ensure you are not allergic, some people are sensitive to it.

You can get a starter kit with the innoculator tool, drill bit, a few wax brushes, a bag of spawn and instructions.

Anne Millar Mushrooms, really helpful. I have bought spawn from her for over 10 years.

https://www.annforfungi.co.uk/shop/

Also if you are serious, Paul Stamets 1st book Mushroom Cultivator covers growingoyster Mushrooms on straw, sterilisation, diseases of Mushrooms etc.

I'd shop around for that, I paid about £40 about 15 years ago

If you grow bluits they will turn up all.over th garden and in your neighbours gardens in subsequent years and they will help improve your soil.

I suggested Shiitake because they dry well, their taste and odour improve. Yo can get about 3 -4 crops a year for about 5 years before the logs become impossible to handle I leave those logs under my fruit bushes as a deep mulch and they still fruit if I saturate them periodically. You induce fruiting by "shocking" the log for example immersion in water for 24 hours will induce the loge to fruit (produce Mushrooms) basically you do that every 3 months. You scare them into fruiting by making them think they are going to die. You need to keep them in the shade all the time.

It's good fun.

Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

iv always said that us in work are treated like mushrooms,"kept in the dark and feed on bull s##t" lol
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

XRS001. Cheers for that, I’ll take a look, heard few years ago that experts thought that fungi could help the worlds food supplies because they can grow so well.
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

Rusty74 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:05 pm iv always said that us in work are treated like mushrooms,"kept in the dark and feed on bull s##t" lol
LOL rusty you read my mind , The government treats us all like mushrooms .

On the subjetc i have tried many times over the years and out of the times i have tried i think i only once got a good harvest the rest i got a few bits and bobs so to speak not worth the time or energy , but i will say special herb growers do sometimes grow mushies in the same grow areqa to get a high C02 output

If you want to grow a big crop i think you have to have all the equipment
XRS001

Post by XRS001 »

Rusty74 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:05 pm iv always said that us in work are treated like mushrooms,"kept in the dark and feed on bull s##t" lol
No sh** required to grow these premium mushrooms
XRS001

Post by XRS001 »

steptoe wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:59 pm
LOL rusty you read my mind , The government treats us all like mushrooms .

On the subjetc i have tried many times over the years and out of the times i have tried i think i only once got a good harvest the rest i got a few bits and bobs so to speak not worth the time or energy , but i will say special herb growers do sometimes grow mushies in the same grow areqa to get a high C02 output

If you want to grow a big crop i think you have to have all the equipment
The above post about growing Shiitake. I grew them semi pro as a side hustle for very little work I did well with them. I still supply 3 customers with about 3lbs every 3 months. I don't pay for spawn or the logs, sales do. Get the shade and watering right and it's a walk in the park.
XRS001

Post by XRS001 »

All you need is a 10mm drill bit, some paraffin wax, an old saucepan to heat & melt the wax & this innoculator tool.

A good source of logs cut February/ early March.

That's not a huge outlay for equipment

https://imgur.com/gallery/DaEMJNq