What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

How are you preparing
GillyBee

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

Post by GillyBee »

Enjoyed some homemade bacon last night. I used the River Cottage curing and smoking book and the net to learn the basics so I can cure meat in the freezer if we start to get power problems.
I have been practising on belly pork to make streaky bacon and am shocked at how easy this is.
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

GillyBee wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:43 am Enjoyed some homemade bacon last night. I used the River Cottage curing and smoking book and the net to learn the basics so I can cure meat in the freezer if we start to get power problems.
I have been practising on belly pork to make streaky bacon and am shocked at how easy this is.
Just looked up that book, it looks fab - added to my wishlist. Thank you :)

I'm making financial plans for the next few months because of the whole redundancy threats at work, but also because my word, I'm skint! So it'll be Austerity February and I'll be living on my preps more. Menu planning today.

In other news, I found out that the weird noise I heard last night and assumed was an animal, was actually somebody throwing a traffic cone at my house! It broke the bracket that holds the BT line. Now it's getting lighter of an evening, I think I'll leave the kitchen blinds open longer so I can see who is about outside.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Creating some more room in this chicken coop of a house! Fills nearly 50% of the garden, wish husband had picked something a bit smaller.
Attachments
ASHED.jpg
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

diamond lil wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:46 pm Creating some more room in this chicken coop of a house! Fills nearly 50% of the garden, wish husband had picked something a bit smaller.
That's a shed with attitude. Get in there and adopt half of it.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Well I was thinking more of barricading the door shut when he's innit Jenny. Or changing the locks on the house. :twisted:
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

diamond lil wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:22 pm Well I was thinking more of barricading the door shut when he's innit Jenny. Or changing the locks on the house. :twisted:
Lil! Hugs aplenty - nice big doors on that there shed, as well as a proper window. I'm definitely with Jenny on the need for you to adopt half of it :)
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

Just trying to stock up by bulk buying dried foods, got some days off coming up so sort greenhouse out, getting ready for this years growing season.
Up in the wet South Lakeland
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

That isn't a shed. It's an extension! Is he moving in?
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

GillyBee wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:42 am That isn't a shed. It's an extension! Is he moving in?
That could be arranged yess :twisted: It's not huge huge, 7x9 ft. A good gap of 18" between it and next door's fence and it doesn't block her light or anything, my house is north of her. Does block her view, but only of my garden which suits me fine because she's a nosy old PITA.
I couldn't get any guidance from the HA or council on max permitted size, and the person I phoned just said yes to a shed "as long as it was within reason" - so if they tell us to take it down then I'll tell them I'm putting in a compensation claim.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

diamond lil wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:47 pm
GillyBee wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:42 am That isn't a shed. It's an extension! Is he moving in?
That could be arranged yess :twisted: It's not huge huge, 7x9 ft. A good gap of 18" between it and next door's fence and it doesn't block her light or anything, my house is north of her. Does block her view, but only of my garden which suits me fine because she's a nosy old PITA.
I couldn't get any guidance from the HA or council on max permitted size, and the person I phoned just said yes to a shed "as long as it was within reason" - so if they tell us to take it down then I'll tell them I'm putting in a compensation claim.
If it's in 'the back garden' then you should not have any problems with regulations. Obviously don't fall out with your neighbour, but she'd get nowhere with a complaint to the council.

https://www.shedstore.co.uk/how-big-can ... -my-garden
https://www.checkatrade.com/blog/expert ... sion-shed/
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong