Advice for a hopeless gardener

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jennyjj01

Re: Advice for a hopeless gardener

Post by jennyjj01 »

jennyjj01 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:32 pm
jennyjj01 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:08 pm
jennyjj01 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:53 pm So, I found 3 bulbs of garlic in the food cupboard which were seriously past their best. Indeed they were starting to decay. I could see that they had the odd whisker of new root growing and some tiny bit of shoots forming.

Waste not want not !

https://youtu.be/vr3ZxWexS5c
Crikey Moses!
Just 10 days later, these cloves have now grown to over three inches tall. Just a couple of no-shows as of yet.
Well, that didn't end well........ Of the dozen or so cloves of garlic, only two conspicuously still exist. I think the rest rotted after I sowed them outside. Too wet? Probably. Oh hum. More room for onions and leeks.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Down at 'The Range'
Seed spuds (10) and onion sets (50) at 3 for £5. Which seems one of the best deals on small quantity order. So that's ...
Pentland javelin spuds, Stuttgarter and Centurion Onions bought.
Resisting the urge to sow.... Spuds are starting to chit, so I'll give them a few weeks in the shed.
Of my onion seeds, the Ailsa Craig are wilting a a bit in the kitchen window at over 3 inches. The Rijburrger seeds, sown 16 Jan have not yet germinated.
Sowed another few dozen Ailsa Craig in the window sill as backup.
Also sowed a dozen bell peppers indoors.
13 of my 10 triffids are doing ok.
At The Range, they have levingtons GP compost 2x50l for £9 which seems a best price. I think it's last of the peat stuff, so I'll be grabbing a few, while I can.

If you can find that compost in B&Q they're flogging it off for £2 for 50L!!!!!

The Range also have a few small packs of seeds scanning at 49p but labelled as 99p. Though the named brand ones are much dearer in the >£2 range per pack.

So. Somebody train me on chitting spuds? Cool light place? So they need daylight then? in my clear tent? or in the closed garage? Can i chit too soon and ruin the seeds?
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

preppermike

Post by preppermike »

I've just started to chit some spuds, as of yesterday. I've got them in my conservatory which get's a ton of light but isn't too hot, this time of year atleast.

I had some random ones come up last year but can't for the life of me remember planting any. :lol:
www.codewithmike.com - Tech Reviews, Prepper Gear, Gaming Blog
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Just been in Wilkinson's where they have now populated the gardening section. Seed spuds and onions not a bad price for the bigger bags.
They did have what looked like a great deal... A 6ft walk in greenhouse reduced to £35. Very tempted
https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-walk- ... /p/0260896
Last edited by jennyjj01 on Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ara

Post by Ara »

Remember Jenny, the easiest way to get rid of temptation is to give in to it. I think that was Oscar Wilde.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

We had a nice meal the other day from some spuds I found when I turned the compost heap out. We don't have room to grow a proper crop of them in this garden but every year I seem to get a few pop up from a plant that grew from potato peelings some years ago. It keeps coming back as I never seem to find all the tubers and they seem to survive all but the very worst freezes here.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

GillyBee wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:09 pm We had a nice meal the other day from some spuds I found when I turned the compost heap out. We don't have room to grow a proper crop of them in this garden but every year I seem to get a few pop up from a plant that grew from potato peelings some years ago. It keeps coming back as I never seem to find all the tubers and they seem to survive all but the very worst freezes here.
That's pretty cool 8-)
If I turn over my heap, I could probably get a nice meal of couch grass rhizomes

jansman

Post by jansman »

I sowed tomatoes into my propagator at the weekend. They have germinated. So now the daylight is lasting longer it’s good timing. I’ll transplant them later and give them shelving in the greenhouse for plenty of light. Keep em covered at night . That’s them sorted. Welsh and Egyptian onions are racing onwards now. My sweet pea seeds are germinating well too. I like a spread of those in my veg garden. Looks nice. I put nasturtium in too. Looks good ,is edible,and diverts butterflies from my brassicas. All looking good.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:07 am I sowed tomatoes into my propagator at the weekend. They have germinated. So now the daylight is lasting longer it’s good timing. I’ll transplant them later and give them shelving in the greenhouse for plenty of light. Keep em covered at night . That’s them sorted. Welsh and Egyptian onions are racing onwards now. My sweet pea seeds are germinating well too. I like a spread of those in my veg garden. Looks nice. I put nasturtium in too. Looks good ,is edible,and diverts butterflies from my brassicas. All looking good.
Oi! You didn't give me the heads up!
Sowed at the weekend and already germinated!: Crikey.

I got my peppers in, though not heated, so I don't expect anything. Will get some tomatoes in today, I think.

jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:36 am
jansman wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:07 am I sowed tomatoes into my propagator at the weekend. They have germinated. So now the daylight is lasting longer it’s good timing. I’ll transplant them later and give them shelving in the greenhouse for plenty of light. Keep em covered at night . That’s them sorted. Welsh and Egyptian onions are racing onwards now. My sweet pea seeds are germinating well too. I like a spread of those in my veg garden. Looks nice. I put nasturtium in too. Looks good ,is edible,and diverts butterflies from my brassicas. All looking good.
Oi! You didn't give me the heads up!
Sowed at the weekend and already germinated!: Crikey.

I got my peppers in, though not heated, so I don't expect anything. Will get some tomatoes in today, I think.
Watch them though, as soon as germination occurs,take them from heat and make sure they have daylight.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.