What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

Post by jansman »

Well, we have sorted our Beach Hut ( as my dear wife calls the Summerhouse). If we need a ‘bug out’ :lol: that is the place. ;) Just sorting our storage shed outside - after this tea has been drank. :lol: Having a good clearout. Stuff like storage jars etc. gone! In fact apart from the freezers, there will be no food stored there now ,as the kitchen pantry is more than sufficient for two of us. I am now organising emergency lighting ,use of batteries/ chargers/ solar panels and the like for my wife to lay her hands on when we get inevitable power shortages. Unfortunately I suspect I won’t be here by then,which is a bit of a bu**er ,as I have got some gear out there! :lol: So apart from the above ,there are barrels of water,filters,,animal feed, emergency cooking kit and fuel, matches,lighters ( enough for a literal lifetime) .

Then I have a months worth of firewood to process too. Most important.

Another prep is to add to Wife’s instructions lists are the details of local solid fuel suppliers ( all blokes I have known well) for when I am not here. In fact she only needs either of my two best mates to call for information of currently good solid fuel suppliers. As time moves along ,our solid fuel usage will be necessary looking at what will happen with national and international fuel supplies.If government tries to stop this village from using solid fuel they will be dealing with quite a few people - just like elsewhere. Mind you,the beauty of our system is that after the first ten minutes,you can’t tell we are burning. ;)

Anyhow,just had a call from my neighbour. He’s taken down a silver birch,and even sawn it to usable logs,as he knows I am not well. Mrs J made sure he got a bottle of wine!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

In a perfect world that would be a bottle of good birch sap wine....
As far as i can tell TPTB want to go after anyone burning wood in urban areas. Might get interesting as all the new urban wood burners have gone to people who have enough money to have a voice. As long as they don't ban BBQs or our firepit or Mr GB will want to riot.
jansman

Post by jansman »

GillyBee wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:23 pm In a perfect world that would be a bottle of good birch sap wine....
As far as i can tell TPTB want to go after anyone burning wood in urban areas. Might get interesting as all the new urban wood burners have gone to people who have enough money to have a voice. As long as they don't ban BBQs or our firepit or Mr GB will want to riot.
And the lack of rules about bbq,fire pits and idiot bonfires- fireworks too, shows the ‘eco’ politics.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

Not prepping but thought it funny, Bear really can eat anything. 😂😂
Attachments
Bear
Bear
Up in the wet South Lakeland
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

DustyDog wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:43 pm Not prepping but thought it funny, Bear really can eat anything. 😂😂
Love it. Love the looks on their faces.

Setting aside the moral and legal aspects, Canibalism makes sense.
You get to remove a competitor for limited resources.
You get to plunder your victim's stock pile. No witnesses.
You get a free protein boost.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Started on ramping up the cold weather preps for the more likely than not cold snap ...

Cars screenwash was topped up tonight with a decent slug of winter screenwash,

Front garden got swept,

Back garden is almost there just need to tidy a few bits

Snow chains for the cars are by the shed door to be added tomorrow or Saturday,

Sleeping bags got out ready for the cars on top of the blizzard bags ,

Need to go through the wife's kit on Saturday but it's something like there

Cars all have all season tyres on so we have a fighting chance of getting home if not it's chains I've old school chains , the wife because I'm a good husband has modern Kevlar ' chains ' much more user friendly ...

Sisters heavily pregnant you just know when it's going to kick off :lol: :lol: :? Her car needed 2 tyres before it's MOT got advised that the back 2 were perishing so it's got 4x full winter tyres on it which eclipse standard tyres and all seasons it's got far more chance of going where it's pointed unlike the brother in law's sporty low slung wide tyred thing... From past experience I'd take my sister's car over all the families motors if it snows .. dad's got all seasons on the front of his too...

Allotment is something like sorted but the chickens bird flu netting needs some fettling before snow asap
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:07 pm
DustyDog wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:43 pm Not prepping but thought it funny, Bear really can eat anything. 😂😂

Not something I could contemplate. It sounds horrible. People tend to band together in shtf scenarios. No doubt in severe famine there have been cases of canibalism. But I've no idea if people murdered each other to eat them. I think it's more likely survivors ate people who'd died of hunger. Talking about "removing competitors" sound morally wrong, and if neighbours know you think like this they might pre-emptively take you out. I'm surprised this sort of post is even allowed.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Frnc wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:49 am
jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:07 pm

Not something I could contemplate. It sounds horrible. People tend to band together in shtf scenarios. No doubt in severe famine there have been cases of canibalism. But I've no idea if people murdered each other to eat them. I think it's more likely survivors ate people who'd died of hunger. Talking about "removing competitors" sound morally wrong, and if neighbours know you think like this they might pre-emptively take you out. I'm surprised this sort of post is even allowed.
We do still allow a little funny on this forum. Nothing wrong a bit of black humour. Stop taking everything so literally and lighten up. :lol:
Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

im preppering for early retirement at the grand old age of 48,as my employer wants to retire me on ill health and pension me off,although they havent managed to get rid of me yet
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

itsybitsy wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:37 am
Frnc wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:49 am
jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:07 pm Love it. Love the looks on their faces.

. Talking about "removing competitors" sound morally wrong, and if neighbours know you think like this they might pre-emptively take you out. I'm surprised this sort of post is even allowed.
We do still allow a little funny on this forum. Nothing wrong a bit of black humour. Stop taking everything so literally and lighten up. :lol:
Thanks. Just for the record...
It's Dark humour...
It's an amoral inhuman, perspective, not my standard position. I'm able to think and joke about the unthinkable. In Shaun of the dead, didn't Shaun have to kill his zombie mother?
I'm not planning to eat my neighbours...
There would be undeniable logic in someone being preemptive. And I accept that risk.
If post apocalypse, we are all absolutely starving and my neighbours banded together to loot empty properties, then loot shops, then take on the hostiles from the next village, then eat a few dead people, then things might be dire enough to join them.... Who can really say.
If we can imagine holdomor or imagine being in a ww2 type concentration camp, then we can imagine any resulting super extreme horror.., or not.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong