What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

How are you preparing
jennyjj01

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:34 pm You’ll get some compo in that bin for sure. :D
Indeedy. near as dammit 1.2m cubed. A bit over-kill :)
It will be a bit of a struggle to get it full enough to get hot enough, but I'm giving it my best shot. Getting a fine mix of ingredients. I would be elated if it could be full by summer and nearly ready to use next year or the year after.
I think my two garden tardises are ready to harvest some. Not bought any this year except the fiver worth of muck.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:48 pm
jansman wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:34 pm You’ll get some compo in that bin for sure. :D
Indeedy. near as dammit 1.2m cubed. A bit over-kill :)
It will be a bit of a struggle to get it full enough to get hot enough, but I'm giving it my best shot. Getting a fine mix of ingredients. I would be elated if it could be full by summer and nearly ready to use next year or the year after.
I think my two garden tardises are ready to harvest some. Not bought any this year except the fiver worth of muck.
At least it’s enough space to turn it over and manoeuvre. ;)
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

That's great, Jenny! As you get more in it, maybe you use the odd spare plank to nail across the front, to help it stay compressed enough to get hot? That slotting together action is brill, and you're doing so well on the planting up.

In the meantime ... you said "bite me", I think? :mrgreen:
**chomps on Jenny's arm, obligingly**(
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Did a hour and a half bike ride. Saw a robot in the road. Council and Co-op trialling them, delivering groceries. It stopped right next to me. Freaky. Didn't say owt. Got as far as the disused railway line I nearly broke my neck on. Went along it for a bit. Did a new route back. Was using voice nav on Komoot, while listening to house music. It actually got the new bit right even though part of it was offroad. Mental note not to wear underarmour under, even though it's flatlocked seams, bit painful.
Was sunny. Was a bit hot. Met office realfeel was 2° below actual, accuweather was 2° above. I dressed for below. Accu got it right. Was more like 13 than 9.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Arzosah wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:04 pm That's great, Jenny! As you get more in it, maybe you use the odd spare plank to nail across the front, to help it stay compressed enough to get hot?
That's the plan. I based it on the wonky two sided wire frame on the previous plot. I estimate it could be easily 3/4 full before it will need bracing at the front. As it is, it's easy to get into for filling
That slotting together action is brill, and you're doing so well on the planting up.
Yup. I saw someone else do it with a sawn in half pallet. It meant that just 6 screws held it together firmly. 12 made it rock steady. Because it's light and not fixed to the ground, I guess I could easily tilt it forward and lift it off to move it over to the side for turning the heap.
In the meantime ... you said "bite me", I think? :mrgreen:
**chomps on Jenny's arm, obligingly**(
Lol. Seriously.... No comment! :oops: :oops:
I'm just drawing up an after the event planting map, before I forget what's sown where.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Car service parts ordered

BIG service this year :o

Needed to order 2 special tools £25 worth

Filter set & plugs £54

Deep spark plug tool £10

Oil on stock (got a job lot cheap a few years ago) so £10 for 5ltr

So I did a rate my garage quote for a big service £250 was the Lowest locally..

£74 for the bits to do that..... And about 2 hours...

£176 saving for that alone

The alternator belt is about done it's started slipping so. £20 for a belt and £15 for a fitting tool (stretch fit belt no adjustments on Tue alternator or pulleys )

And there's a bush going on the RHS wishbone which has started grumbling over the last week £35 for a new complete Wish bone assembly a single bush was £15... Whilst it's off I'll do the strut top bearing they are notorious on mine for failing £10 complete coil top assembly

Guessing that'd be another £250 at a garage

So a morning on the drive swearing will save me the thick end of £170 on those bits

So in the area of £350 saved for the full job I've got the skills and tools I'd be daft not to
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Got my ridiculously cheap Nomex overalls. They are lightweight. I didn't get a reply from the vendor. I was slightly concerned as I couldn't find FR4000 on the internet. So I cut a small piece of material from where it folds over to the inside below the collar. I took it outside and tried to set it on fire with a lighter. I held the flame to the edge for 3 or 3 seconds. It charred where the flame was, but did not light, did not catch fire. I tried several times, until it was almost all charred. I was holding the edge with scissors. Only on the final time did it catch fire. I conclude this is flame retardant, so probably what it says on the label, ie 93% Nomex.

They will come in handy if I decide to venture poking my head into the attic, as I don't want fibreglass on my clothes.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Well today is Good Friday,and going shopping is against my beliefs on a bank holiday. Everyone should get one! Anyhow,no onions for cooking today! So I’ve gone and got a handful of perpetual Welsh and Egyptian from the garden! :lol: That’s prepping! ;) Take care folks.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:34 am Well today is Good Friday,and going shopping is against my beliefs on a bank holiday. Everyone should get one! Anyhow,no onions for cooking today! So I’ve gone and got a handful of perpetual Welsh and Egyptian from the garden! :lol: That’s prepping! ;) Take care folks.
Having seen the traffic on the coast road yesterday afternoon I'm not going far :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:49 am
jansman wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:34 am Well today is Good Friday,and going shopping is against my beliefs on a bank holiday. Everyone should get one! Anyhow,no onions for cooking today! So I’ve gone and got a handful of perpetual Welsh and Egyptian from the garden! :lol: That’s prepping! ;) Take care folks.
Having seen the traffic on the coast road yesterday afternoon I'm not going far :lol:
Cannot blame you YA. Feet up in home is more pleasant than dopey traffic jams! :lol:

Robert Frost.

Me.