What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

Post by jansman »

grenfell wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:59 am A question about the jerusalem artichokes . A couple of years ago I planted some in an old barrel half partly on the basis of how they spread comments . I didn't touch them as I wanted them to get established. However , the barrel which was second or probably fourth or fifth hand gave up the ghost and collapsed so I decided to replant elsewhere. I was a little disappointed in that the tubers were really small , the biggest being no larger than the first knuckle on my thumb. I can only put this down to the barrel being "too well drained" and last year's hot summer. I've replanted now directly into the ground but in a spot where their spread can be cotained .
No room to grow,no size. Simple as that. In my garden mine are now in cut- off 50 gallon barrels to stop em spreading. Each Winter I dig out and put 5 in each barrel. A drop of water when I think about it in a heatwave. This Winter ,two barrels yielded 31 kgs of tubers! I used to grow them for the shoots too ,to feed to my rabbits.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:47 am
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:39 am
jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:39 pm Growing a wind break would take too long.
Jerusalem artichoke wind screen just watch them as they spread like triffids
Fascinating idea. I'm totally unfamiliar with that. Obviously never eaten any, but I may give it a go. If they shoot up like sunflowers, i can see how they'd make a very amusing windbreak.
Spreading like triffids might not be popular.
Speaking of triffids: My egyptian tree onions are looking a bit subdued. About 5 look healthy enough, but I feel sad at the casualties, which i think didn't like getting too wet. I've planted real onions in the same bed.
Your Egyptian onions will survive. Just ignore them. Mine are doing great. No potting on this Winter. I just took last year’s ‘bulbs’ off the shoots and whacked em into the bed. They sprouted quickly and suffered snow,ice, wet,the lot. 100% growing by the look of it. The original bed is yielding now. No need to buy Spring onions. The Welsh are similar,and yielding very well too. My Daubentons Kale ( perennial) is saving buying greens. I have grown some Scotch Kale too,but next year ( provided I am still kicking :lol:) the reliance will be on the perennial. All good - but that’s just letting nature do her stuff. ;)
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Jansman: How long did it take to get your Daubentons up to "eating" size? I have just planted a rooted cutting of Daubenton's Panache. It is just under a foot tall at the moment and settling in happily outside despite the odd hailstorm.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Right then let's see if this charges any better :twisted:
received_239557115272362.jpeg
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

jansman wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:11 am
grenfell wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:59 am A question about the jerusalem artichokes . A couple of years ago I planted some in an old barrel half partly on the basis of how they spread comments . I didn't touch them as I wanted them to get established. However , the barrel which was second or probably fourth or fifth hand gave up the ghost and collapsed so I decided to replant elsewhere. I was a little disappointed in that the tubers were really small , the biggest being no larger than the first knuckle on my thumb. I can only put this down to the barrel being "too well drained" and last year's hot summer. I've replanted now directly into the ground but in a spot where their spread can be cotained .
No room to grow,no size. Simple as that. In my garden mine are now in cut- off 50 gallon barrels to stop em spreading. Each Winter I dig out and put 5 in each barrel. A drop of water when I think about it in a heatwave. This Winter ,two barrels yielded 31 kgs of tubers! I used to grow them for the shoots too ,to feed to my rabbits.
I'll have to see how they go in open ground. They were in a large half barrel filled with compost and there was barely enough to make a handfull. Hardly any flowers on them either.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Not exactly prep. Ventured into the loft, my head anyway. Huge purlins, running parallel to the ridge under the rafters, to support them. Tiny joists front to back. No front to back struts higher up. Maybe the purlins can resist spread, wrong direction really though. I presume they are set into the brick, forgot to look. Still waiting for a price. I did get to use my head torch.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Yes they would be built into the brickwork which in itself should stop the spread. I would assume given the age that the purlins are at 90 degrees to the rafters as opposed to sitting vertically ?
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:30 pm Right then let's see if this charges any better :twisted:

Nice one. No comparison :)
PWM has its place in the learning process, but buying an MPPT controller can be of similar value to buying and mounting an extra big panel, at much less than the cost of that panel.

Compare and contrast PWM with a ( nominal) 18V panel and a 13V battery. Immediately you are discarding (18-13)/18 = 28% of available current. Then PWM does it's thing and keeps disconnecting the panel completely every few seconds.

You're going to need to find a use for all that extra free energy, so as to make the investment worthwhile. Better buy some more torches :)

What did that baby cost?

p.s. Don't ruin it with fuses! My EPEVER can blow 25A somehow. Currently using 30A to connect to battery.... And it's NOT current FROM the panels. Beats the hell out of me.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jennyjj01 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:26 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:30 pm Right then let's see if this charges any better :twisted:

Nice one. No comparison :)
PWM has its place in the learning process, but buying an MPPT controller can be of similar value to buying and mounting an extra big panel, at much less than the cost of that panel.

Compare and contrast PWM with a ( nominal) 18V panel and a 13V battery. Immediately you are discarding (18-13)/18 = 28% of available current. Then PWM does it's thing and keeps disconnecting the panel completely every few seconds.

currently got a 100w and a 50w panel to link together the plan is to try it both in parallel (lower voltages ) and series

Use these panels when camping so the plan is to keep it all semi portable but useable in the outhouse or when away the 100w panel fits nicely on my campers sofa to keep it safe in transit

You're going to need to find a use for all that extra free energy, so as to make the investment worthwhile. Better buy some more torches :)

What did that baby cost?

Can't see it at this price now there was some sale on earlier this week :lol:

Screenshot_20230414-193025.png

p.s. Don't ruin it with fuses! My EPEVER can blow 25A somehow. Currently using 30A to connect to battery.... And it's NOT current FROM the panels. Beats the hell out of me.

currently fused at 20amp will get the amp clamp on it if the sun ever comes out and see what happens
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Sabbatical....
I need to spend a little less time and attention to this and other forums..... 7 days off forum.
So, I'm about to put hurdles to limit my ability to view this site by making changes to my computer config. I'll be able to connect by phone, but will try not to. If this, and will power don't work, I'll be self excluding.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong